T Nation

Testosterone Readings in Nmol (20 yo)

Hello!

I’ve been reading T-Nation for 3-4 years now though I’m not active in the forum, I have a question for you guys.

Some background - I’m 20 years old, I’ve been lifting for 5 years straight, last 4 of which nearly no machines etc. I’m about 200lbs right now, aorund 10-12% bf (i can see my abs but I tend to store fat in the ass and legs mostly). When I was 15-16yo I was about 230lbs with over 30% bf, so I keep my diet clean year long. I have hard time gaining strength and muscle. But I’ve always used moderate carb approach when trying to gain. Now I decided to change things as I’m not getting satisfying results and start eating A LOT on the anabolic diet.

Today is my first day on anabolic diet and I decided to do some cholesterol tests in the morning, being worried to eat over 200 grams of fat / day, most of which saturated.

I also decided to do a testosterone test as I have never done one.

Here are my readings:
Testosteron: 7.71nmol/l

I’m very worried because there is "normal reading over 17 yo : 8.4-28.7)! I’m below minimal which might be very low standard anyway.

Then I cant seem to convert it to ng per dl. As I try this it turns out its below 300 ng per dl and 20 year old guy should have over 700!

I should mention that this night I got 6 hours sleep at most and yesterday evening I had very heavy lifting session… have never ever used steroids or other body enchancing drugs, and my libido is OK (not as hi as it used to be 1-2 years ago - I always get it hard but most times I cant go for a second run). I’m using ZMA, not regularly but 3 out of 5 night lately I remember to take it before sleep.

Please, advice me about the results, I’ll do another test in week or so after getting better rest, few days of 8-10h sleep and I will start supplementing additional vitamins and minerals.

Thank you,
Dimitar Dinchev

Go see your doctor and get some blood work done. I doubt your test is that low or you’d probably be having some notable problems. One or two days short of sleep wont do anything, just get it checked if you’re worried.

[quote]jmloach wrote:
Go see your doctor and get some blood work done. I doubt your test is that low or you’d probably be having some notable problems. One or two days short of sleep wont do anything, just get it checked if you’re worried.[/quote]
Maybe I’m confused, but I thought that’s what he already did, hence why he has the numbers here and is asking for advice.

[quote]JLu wrote:

[quote]jmloach wrote:
Go see your doctor and get some blood work done. I doubt your test is that low or you’d probably be having some notable problems. One or two days short of sleep wont do anything, just get it checked if you’re worried.[/quote]
Maybe I’m confused, but I thought that’s what he already did, hence why he has the numbers here and is asking for advice.[/quote]

If its something to be concerned about his doctor would have said something I’d think

[quote]jmloach wrote:

[quote]JLu wrote:

[quote]jmloach wrote:
Maybe I’m confused, but I thought that’s what he already did, hence why he has the numbers here and is asking for advice.[/quote]

If its something to be concerned about his doctor would have said something I’d think[/quote]

This is a very poor assumption.

[quote]jmloach wrote:

[quote]JLu wrote:

[quote]jmloach wrote:

If its something to be concerned about his doctor would have said something I’d think[/quote]

Well then this forum would be better off not hearing your opinion on this particular subject.

It is hard enough for 45 year old men to get proper treatment. 20 year old will have an even more difficult time.

OP
You need to get a comprehensive hormone panel done. Test for all relevant aspects of body chemistry. Without that no one can help.

E2
FSH
LH
TSH
T3
T4
Prolactin
Cortisol
Free T
Total T
etc.

Read the thread on TRT in the Over 35 forum.

Your levels are very low but that doesnt mean youre hypogonadal just yet. There may be other problem(s) responsible for the low levels.

Thank you for your replies.

I already spoke to endocrinologist I know yesterday and he told me that if my results were that low in general I’d not have ANY libido, I’d not be able to hold on any muscle or bench 250lbs, squat 300, that I’d be in chronic depression, etc. Also he told me that few days of stress at work + heavy lifting and lack of rest can affect the results a lot in short therm basis and TRT is absolutely insane for 20 y healthy person - it is more likely external testosterone source to screw the endocrine system more than to help.

So he advised me to do tests of cortisol and testosterone after some time with at least 2 days rest after my last workout, with normal sleep and he expects to see me hit the upper border of the standards so I’m a bit less worried.

I will post results again and hopefully it will be all fine.

Thank you again for your replies!