T Nation

Testosterone Question

i’am 58 and had my test. blood work done i was 520 total and 12.7 free is this ok , i lift 5 days a week, 16% body fat

not bad…probably right around average…im not sure about the free testosterone, though.

Since you look decent, I would highly recommend a testosterone booster, such as TRIBEX or animal stack or whatever.

there are some men your age with real low levels, like in the 100’s.

take advantage of what you’ve got now and keep it up!

Testosterone levels vary so much it’s hard to say.

A few variables which impact T-levels:

Sleep
Caloric Intake
Time of Day (blood taken)
Amount of Lean Mass to Body Fat ratio

If you want to be scientific about your hormonal
health status you should have multiple tests done
and average the results.

If you’re feeling healthy and strong I would say you’re doing well for a guy your age. Many guys in your age range are turing into women (hormonally)

how do you get t levels tested ?

my doctor said there’s no reason to test mine so he wouldn’t do it.

While we are on the subject, would one of you knowledgeable people answer a question of mine.

Now, it is my understanding that free testosterone is the amount of testosterone avaiable for use. Why is it that most doctors only order total testosterone tests? A few months back I had some lab work done at my hospital (Kaiser Permanente) and I had a total testosterone of 799.

At 47 years of age, I think that is pretty good. However, no free testosterone score was given. Anyway, if someone would be kind enough to explain why testing free testosterone is so controversial among mainstream docs, I would appreciate it.

[quote]swivel wrote:

my doctor said there’s no reason to test mine so he wouldn’t do it.[/quote]

I just asked for a complete physical. Maybe for guys my age they give the test. You could lie and tell your doc that your sex drive is low. That should be enough to have him test your T. However, as I said in my other post, they seem to only test total T and not free testosterone.

You simply tell him you want it done he is employed by you something simple like this he should do if No find a new doc

[quote]swivel wrote:

my doctor said there’s no reason to test mine so he wouldn’t do it.[/quote]

To the OP those levels arent bad at all and could very well be better at other parts of day, diff training stimulus etc.

great to get a base line though smart thinking

Phill

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

i went to an endocolist doc. , you got to tell them exacly what kind of test you want, cause most of them are stupid, …there’s only one in my town, and i think i know more than him, tell your doc your tired , storing fat , no sex drive, no energy, depressed, musule loss ,gettin weak, sleep all the time, your 25 yr old model girl friend, don’t turn you on any more, …your nuts are strinking and so on