T Nation

Testosterone/Prolactin Levels

Hi,

I recently had a blood test and would appreciate a little help interpreting the results. Testostorone was 31 and prolactin 255, but I don’t know what the units were. A quick net search shows T levels ranging from 300-1000? Is there a difference between UK and US units?

Also, does anyone with Gilbert’s Syndrome have any experience gaining size/muscle? I’m 6’2 195lbs, clavicle’s sticking out & visible from the shoulder, little body hair, had 1 sided gyno as a teen and can’t help thinking a less than optimum liver is going to have an adverse effect on hormone production and regulation. Doctor has said GS is totally benign, though I can’t help thinking these things are interrelated?

Thanks

Prolactin levels in men are typically less than 15ng/mL. At higher levels it suppresses testicular function (testosterone and sperm production). I have been battling a pituitary prolactin secreting tumor for a few years. They aren’t particularly uncommon. What did your doctor say?

Also I don’t think elevated bilirubin is bad for you but I’m not a doctor.

Is 255 prolactin in a different unit to ng/ml? Or are the numbers the wrong way round perhaps: Testostorone of 255, prolactin 31?

Two doctor’s have both said Gilbert’s doesn’t do anything. One doctor recommended checking testoterone and prolactin levels, though I didn’t see him regarding the results. The one I did see was quite dismissive and quick to move me along, as clearly I’m not dying or anything.

Whilst the elevated bilirubin is nothing to worry about, the other things make me wonder if it’s a small part of something else. I suppose I’m paranoid a mess of hormones will be affecting any recovery/growing.

Anyone have any ideas on the numbers?

Thanks

[quote]endofwednesday wrote:
Is 255 prolactin in a different unit to ng/ml? Or are the numbers the wrong way round perhaps: Testostorone of 255, prolactin 31?

Two doctor’s have both said Gilbert’s doesn’t do anything. One doctor recommended checking testoterone and prolactin levels, though I didn’t see him regarding the results. The one I did see was quite dismissive and quick to move me along, as clearly I’m not dying or anything.

Whilst the elevated bilirubin is nothing to worry about, the other things make me wonder if it’s a small part of something else. I suppose I’m paranoid a mess of hormones will be affecting any recovery/growing.

Anyone have any ideas on the numbers?

Thanks

[/quote]

Well of all weird things, I just got back lab results that show elevated levels of bilirubin too. Didn’t used to have them. So maybe I have Gilbert’s Syndrome too?

One thing that caught my eye on Wikipedia (argh I know it’s not a great source of info) was the following:

Benefits:
Reasonable levels of bilirubin can be beneficial to the organism. Evidence is accumulating[citation needed] that suggests bilirubin can protect tissues against oxidative damage caused by free radicals and other reactive oxygen species. Statistical analysis of people with high normal or slightly elevated bilirubin levels in blood shows that they have a lower risk of developing cardiovascular diseases. In infants it is not very common for the spleen to destroy red blood cells faster than the liver can conjugate the bilirubin. The effect of this would be more bilirubin in the blood plasma.

Now the weird thing is that I read another article that professed that working out in hot weather tended to cause an increase in mecahnisms that protect against free radical damage too. My gym does not have air conditioning this summer and, as a matter of timing, I decided to seriously amp up my workout for the summer, just to give me something to do. I’m wondering if the increased bilirubin is a direct result of training and is therefore a Good Thing.

I go back in 4 weeks for a recheck.

Thoughts people?

– jj