T Nation

Testosterone: Paper Version

I think it should basically be a medical journal for bodybuilders and strength athletes. Why publish condensed articles when you’ve got some of the most knowledgeable writers in the industry? I say, give’em a pen and let it all spill out.

I want to know the science behind the great programs I see here. I want to know the why, not just the how. I’m thirsty for more knowledge, and I want to get it from T-Nation.

Mmmmm…knowledge

[quote]smallnomore wrote:
I think it should basically be a medical journal for bodybuilders and strength athletes. Why publish condensed articles when you’ve got some of the most knowledgeable writers in the industry? I say, give 'em a pen and let it all spill out.

I want to know the science behind the great programs I see here. I want to know the why, not just the how. I’m thirsty for more knowledge, and I want to get it from T-Nation.

mmmmm…knowledge[/quote]

Ditto…

Sounds good to me.

I agree. Something to really chew on.

Oh, and what are the chances of being able to subscribe? It seems like I remember you guys saying that it was cost prohibitive to have subscriptions a couple of years ago. It was always hit and miss whether or not I could find it anywhere around me. Please, please, let us subscribe.

I’m all for it.

To bad that I’m not a professional writer. I’d like to take TC up on his request for a reporter.

I think that they should go with the rout that they’re talking about now, a steroid injected mens mag. If it’s simply a bodybuilding medical journal no one will buy it at the newstands, except us of course, but they’ve already caught us! The old mag had alot of re-hashed articles from the website, which was fine. Re-reading never hurt anyone, but paper-mag only articles would be awsome. I like TC’s and JB’s ideas about this the best. Also, someone said they had a problem subscribing? Maby it’s just because the mag’s in limbo right now. I’ve had the same subscription for like two years now. I only received three issues before the mag stopped. I called customer service and they told me that my subscription still stands and that I still have X amount of issues left before it runs out. The old subscriptions came with a sick-ass T-man poster and classic T-shirt and I think that they should do the same with the new mag.

As one who was only recently come across T-Nation, I can’t comment on what the old print-version of T-Mag contained, but I do have a question.

Would Atomic Dog-styled articles be in there? I really do enjoy those, and would love to see them transferred into the print medium…

Really, that’s my only request. I trust them with the fitness and science part. Of course, looking at who is producing htis mag, I suppose I also trust them in the entertainment part too…

I won’t lie; I don’t merely want to be educated- I also want to be entertained.

-FC

Alrighty, addendum to my last post after re-reading the Think-Tank stuff on this topic… That’ll learn me for posting before re-checking some stuff…

It looks like they are well on their way to greatness, but I must say that I especially like how Dr. Berardi is putting it. It would be cool if they incorporated some of his suggestions (which, from TC’s posts, it seems like they may be ahead of the game).

Reading of such things as running with the bulls or Waterbury boxing with a pro sounds immensely entertaining. That ride alone would be worth the price of admission.

Truth be told, they sounds similar to what may be my favourite feature of Men’s Health… Let’s Kill Bob! I mean, if Drury can do what he does at his age (no offence to him; I really do respect him), what can some T-Men pull off?

Intriguing time ahead.

-FC

One of the things I find cool about T-Nation is that it is so different from everything else because of the hard-to-understand scientific articles. A regular person like myself might pick it up and read it and find himself perplexed as to what all that stuff is. Then he might just put the mag back on the shelf, but if that person is driven, seeking knowledge and is willing to improve by trying something difficult and new; a T-Man, he will find a dictionary and read on. I like the way the content separates the T-Men from the others. Entertaining articles and shorts would be cool too, but please don’t lose the old hard-ass gallon-sized pieces of knowledge that we love seeing so much… especially on the toilet, at least for me (as I do the major part of my daily deep-thought and meditation there in that secluded and noiseless refuge).

I think making it a medical journal would be an awful idea. How many of us have the degrees in biochem needed to understand the science?

I liked the way the magazine was before they quit printing it. My only gripe was that there didn’t seem to be very good photography work.

I hope they don’t flirt with selling out and becoming a magazine for the masses. I’m no rocket scientist, but I generally understand the articles as they are presented here on the website. If I don’t understand some of the more techie stuff, I take it upon myself to figure it out.

I don’t think I’m much different than most of the folks here on T-Nation. If it appeals to us, I don’t see the need to change it up much just to make it more attractive to the idiots who will just use it as coffee-table cover.

I hope TC (Atomic Dog) is once again the editorial page. The “old” magazine was great, hopefully the “new” one will still be fun and not too sterile/technical.

I wonder how “Milo” sells.

It isn’t on the newsstands, and it has a compact, “Reader’s Digest” size.

The concensus that the format should be a balance between shorter and lengthy articles seems sound to me. The shorter articles and tips can give references for those interested in digging deeper.

1. Try to gear a % of the magazine to content that is immediately usable. Charles Staley tried to do this in one of his bootcamps. It’s a great approach. An article about how to plan the next 6 months is important, but a tip I can utilize the moment I put down the magazine is golden.

2. I also like CT’s suggestion of abstracts for the longer articles.

3. I like profiles. Digging into specific people’s training, goals, and results is cool.

The paper version of the magazine was great. It contained some of the best articles from the web site, but it also included many new articles that you couldn’t see anywhere else. This included various training-related stuff, JB’s Appetite for Construction, Atomic Dog and a column by Shugart.

I have all of the issues except for number one up until they stopped printing it. I’d love to see them continue doing it.

Where’s the next issue? LOL!

[quote]cslawson wrote:

Oh, and what are the chances of being able to subscribe? It seems like I remember you guys saying that it was cost prohibitive to have subscriptions a couple of years ago. It was always hit and miss whether or not I could find it anywhere around me. Please, please, let us subscribe.[/quote]

We probably won’t do subscriptions, but we’ll honor those that we sold before.

As far as finding it this time around, it shouldn’t be a problem. We intend to come out in a big way!

[quote]FlawlessCowboy wrote:
As one who was only recently come across T-Nation, I can’t comment on what the old print-version of T-Mag contained, but I do have a question.

Would Atomic Dog-styled articles be in there? I really do enjoy those, and would love to see them transferred into the print medium…

Really, that’s my only request. I trust them with the fitness and science part. Of course, looking at who is producing htis mag, I suppose I also trust them in the entertainment part too…

I won’t lie; I don’t merely want to be educated- I also want to be entertained.

-FC[/quote]

Oh yeah, I’ll still run the Dog. Thanks for asking!

[quote]rainjack wrote:
I liked the way the magazine was before they quit printing it. My only gripe was that there didn’t seem to be very good photography work.

I hope they don’t flirt with selling out and becoming a magazine for the masses. I’m no rocket scientist, but I generally understand the articles as they are presented here on the website. If I don’t understand some of the more techie stuff, I take it upon myself to figure it out.

I don’t think I’m much different than most of the folks here on T-Nation. If it appeals to us, I don’t see the need to change it up much just to make it more attractive to the idiots who will just use it as coffee-table cover.[/quote]

Sell out to the masses? Bite your tongue. Listen, I know you won’t be disappointed.

Where’s the next issue? LOL![/quote]

With any luck, it’ll be released at the end of January, with new issues to come every 6 to 8 weeks.

That totally rocks-I’ll be waiting for it!

[quote]Atomic Dog wrote:
cslawson wrote:

Oh, and what are the chances of being able to subscribe? It seems like I remember you guys saying that it was cost prohibitive to have subscriptions a couple of years ago. It was always hit and miss whether or not I could find it anywhere around me. Please, please, let us subscribe.

We probably won’t do subscriptions, but we’ll honor those that we sold before.

As far as finding it this time around, it shouldn’t be a problem. We intend to come out in a big way!
[/quote]

No subscriptions? umm…you mean I would have to rely on a local newstand to stock this so I could pick this mag up? I don’t know about others but I woul prefer a subscription service.

-Dave