T Nation

Testosterone Labs Need Explaining Please

HI everyone…

Well I grew up lifting and took five years off. Now at the age of 36 I am getting back into it. I had free testosterone tested in Dec 14’ and they came back "Testosterone,free 63.2 pg/ml (normal range is 46-224.0 pg/ml… The dr at that time didnt say anything.

I started to see a new dr and they tested my blood again last month using a different lab :
"- Testosterone, Serum 138 L ng/dL (normal range is)348-1197

• Free Testosterone (Direct) 6.0 L pg/mL (normal range is)8.7-25.1"

I asked for it to be checked because of all these little things adding up like:
-no sex drive/urge
-gained nearly 75 pounds in two years

• irritable
    -depression here and there
    -fatigued all the time
    -feeling weak all the time

The current blood test also showed high cholesterol and low red cells ( which indicate low test the dr told me)

So now I am going to see an endocrinologist in 2 week… I am hoping to start TRT and get back into my normal feeling self.

Can anyone explain the difference from the first lab to the second ?

Does anyone else have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

Further bloodwork results:

I was reading more and more and thought that I should add more info that may be useful for others to help explain/ give constructive feedback with:
Details
height: 5 foot 8 inches
waist: 40 inches
weight: 270 pounds
body and facial hair: thinned out over years
where you carry fat and how changed:gained nearly 75 lbs in the last few years and store it in my midsection , also a bit in hips
health conditions, symptoms: none, I take lansaprole for heart burn occasionally
Rx and OTC drugs: none
diet: strict, I have been following my macros for about 6 motnhs only to lose about 20 lbs
describe training: train 5-6 times per week,
M back & Bis
T Shoulders with some tris
W Legs
Th Bis and Back
Fri Chest and Tris
Sat Legs
Sun Rest

Symptoms
-Brain fog- Yes
-Social withdrawal- Yes
-Why do I have boobs- slightly
-Why am I a moody bitch- Yes, I can get teary eyed on kids movies at random times
-Can’t get it up- happens alot
-It is up, now it’s gone- Yes and my wife thinks its her of course :frowning:
-My penis is numb -your nerves love T too- nope
-My testes are softer and smaller- dont’ know
-My testes ache 24x7- no
-My scrotum is up-tight, gives “how are they hanging” a whole new meaning-
-“morning wood” -things are working- its been years
-Why do really hot looking women and girls now look like art instead of lust?- Oh Ill stare but nothing happens other than wishful thinking
-I felt great when I started TRT, where did that go? Neural transmitters rule your life- I see Endo in two weeks
-My TRT seems ineffective or never was. Things that crash in the night.- Not on TRT
-On TRT and still do not feel right, something else is wrong.- Not on TRT
-Loss of hair on lower legs, skin below the knees is smooth and shiny.- so so , but not really
-Why do I feel cold easily or all of the time?- I usually run hot (from being heavier now)
-Why do really stressful situations leave me feeling physically beat up. Adrenal fatigue.- There are times when instead of getting angry or upset at a situation I just want to go to bed and sleep( and I have)
-Dry skin, brittle hair and nails- yep, skin on hands cracks all the time regardless of temp outside
-Skin on the back of hand is thin, crinkly. Pinched skin does not recover- nope
-Gum disease, the ugly killer- No
-Why do I have a chronic cough [when taking a statin drug]- No
-I have visual field disturbances such as reduced peripheral vision- No
-My joints have started to ache- yes they do
-TRT and now leg cramps- Not on TRT
-TRT and wife says I am snoring more- Not On TRT
-I am not depressed, I just don’t care about anything, no joy, no motivation, no reward- Yes, this explains it better than my self diagnosed depression I would say
-Skin does not heal quickly if broken- Yes
-testes ache, ever, with a fever- No

Your low platelets are mostly responsible for your skin issues/healing.
https://labtestsonline.org/understanding/analytes/platelet/tab/faq/

Are you using a multi-vit?

Do not worry about cholesterol. But try to improve HDL with a high potency B-complex multi-vit that has 150mcg iodine and 200mcg selenium.

Muscle cramps or ability to contract and lock up muscles is a magnesium deficiency.

Most are sub-optimal Vit-D, you can do Vit-D25 labwork. Find 5000iu Vit-D3 tiny oil based gel caps.

Thyroid has a huge influence on energy, mood, libido and fat gain/loss
TSH should be closer to 1.0
fT4=87 is way below mid-range=1.3
fT3 is the active hormone and not tested.
Iodine deficiency from not using iodized salt?
SEE LAST PARAGRAPH.
skin can be frail
can feel cold easily
outer eyebrows sparse
generalized hair thinning, not MPB

Total protein quite high and that is unexpected with low T.

Different labs have different ranges, comparing apples to oranges.
FT varies a lot from hour to hour, so always changes.

You need more labs for diagnostics: - why is T low…
LH/FSH - can only be done before TRT
prolactin
E2

Please read the stickies found here: About the T Replacement Category

• advice for new guys - need more info about you
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

KSman is simply a regular member on this site. Nothing more other than highly active.