T Nation

Testosterone Enhancers

ok-your probably tired of the same questions, but I have to ask. I finally got off my ass at 66 and have been training fairly hard for the past year and lost 43 lbs. in that time. I started with a test level of 199 and with biweekly test injections of 300mg I finally got it up to 500. My primary physician refuses to give me any more test than what I am getting. I take 1/2mg or Arimidex twice a week.

My question, based on all your expeiences, does any of the advertised supplements, like trib, really work? I would like to get my level up to 700 or 800. All the corporate magazine hype has left me confused on what works. Thanks for any help you can give me.

There is all kinds of bs out there. I was in GNC and saw a supplement that claimed a 10,000% increase in testosterone…Ridiculous. Diet might be your best bet in raising your test levels but I doubt you could raise them to 700. The only thing I think works over the counter is ZMA. Good luck-maybe its time to switch doctors.

First off, you should probably changing the timing of your Arimidex to a smaller dose, split every other day rather than just twice a week.

You may consider getting a hold of something to lower your SHBG, which would be your next-best option if you can’t increase your weekly T dosage. Although the circular logic behind that is… if you can get a hold of something to lower it, you should also be able to get a hold of more T.

[quote]LeRONIN wrote:
I started with a test level of 199 and with biweekly test injections of 300mg I finally got it up to 500. [/quote]

With biweekly, I’m assuming you mean twice per month and not twice per week? That would be quite a large dose for twice per week.

On the other hand, if it’s twice per month, it could definitely be higher, and like poach says, seek out a new doc.

If your taking testosterone injections then there isn’t any point in taking an herbal test enhancer like tribulus or whatever else. Your HPTA will be completely shut down by the synthetic test your taking, so something like tribulus wouldn’t have the desired effect boosting your test even more because your natural test production is inactive anyways.

biweekly = twice per month. 600mg/month = new doc. Most likely he is just very narrow minded… It isnt hard to search around even in the phone book, you can eventually find someone thats more open minded on the situation.

bmc

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I meant shots every 2 weeks. As much as I would like to see another more experienced doc about test, he is pretty good on helping with all the other medical crap that befalls us. I guess I’ll have to keep plugging away with what I’ve got. Thanks again.

LeRONIN, you might want to post about this in the Over 35 forum if you haven’t already. Lot’s of good TRT advice there.

Two points to make already from this thread:

1)If you’re on exogenous T, “natural” stuff is pointless, since you’re already shut down.
2) Shots every 2 weeks are pointless and going to have you on a rollercoaster. Go for weekly or more frequently if you can. If you are not administering the shots yourself, ask to be taught how to and for permission to do this yourself at home.

Anyway, check out the TRT related threads in the over 35 forum.

Since arimidex has a half life of 50 hours, taking it every 3-1/2 days isn’t going to help much. If you have the 1mg pills break them in 1/4’s and take them at least every other day to get your E2 levels down as well as your possibly high SHBG level. If there is any way to get your shots more often, at least once a week if not twice you will get a better benefit from the HRT you have available.

[quote]LeRONIN wrote:
ok-your probably tired of the same questions, but I have to ask. I finally got off my ass at 66 and have been training fairly hard for the past year and lost 43 lbs. in that time. I started with a test level of 199 and with biweekly test injections of 300mg I finally got it up to 500. My primary physician refuses to give me any more test than what I am getting. I take 1/2mg or Arimidex twice a week.

My question, based on all your expeiences, does any of the advertised supplements, like trib, really work? I would like to get my level up to 700 or 800. All the corporate magazine hype has left me confused on what works. Thanks for any help you can give me.[/quote]

You MUST get a new doctor. Low testosterone will kill you: it is linked with diabetes, depression, heart disease, metabolic disorder, osteoporosis - this list goes on and on. Get a new doc that does NOT live in the 70’s.

Trib and a few other supplements may give you small boosts in T. (Trib works on LH which has a decreased effect the older you get as your nightly LH rhthym becomes less pronouned.) Anything that boosts T dramatically is taken off the market by your friends at the FDA. You need a full frontal assault. You need to at least double your testosterone and that’s not going to happen without HRT.

PM me and I can give you a lot of good info if you’re interested.

I can give you info too. PM me.

The funny thing is… that if you are at a blood level of 500 by taking a shot of 300mg every 2 weeks, he could have just given you 200mg per week and had you much more stable as far as blood levels, and you would have probably hit 1,000 within a month and stayed there (and felt GREAT)

Just the fact that he has you on ONLY ONCE every 2 weeks means that he doesn’t know much about the current HRT protocols…

keep him for other stuff if it makes you happy, but find another doc for the HRT.

JMO