T Nation

Testosterone (DHT) & Baldness

Testosterone converts; after the body uses it (oxydises) to (DHT Di-hydro-testosterone) which
is a major contributor to male patern baldness.

What can I rub on my head or take orally to prevent this?

I forgot the herb that also specifically protects the prostrate from the DHT, which
is a cancer promoter in the prostrate.

It’s our balls and our hair that’s
at risk here. Can anyone offer any solutions??

Rogaine (minoxidil) is the hair loss remedy that you “rub on your head”, Propecia (finasteride) is the oral medication, and the herb you’re thinking of is Saw Palmetto. If you want to learn more about any of these, enter them in the subject search field (to the left of the screen) and click the “subject” graphic.

Mason, the herb is Saw Palmetto. The drug of choice for male pattern baldness that prevents the bad stuff from DHT is either Propecia (1 mg. of finasteride) or Proscar (5 mg. of finasteride). Same exact drugs, marketed differently. They screw you on the price. Get some Proscar over the web and cut it in four or five pieces, this will save you a shit load of money. You need about 1 mg. a day of finasteride to help with the balding.

This question has only been answered about a
billion times on this forum. Do a search in
that box to the left for “finasteride” or
“hairloss” and you will find all the info
you need.

Well, to start off with, I recommend Saw Palmetto EXTRACT…320mg/day. I must stress that berries are a waste of money. Stick with the extract that’s standardized for sterols somewhere above 75%. That’s should help and as far as rubbing something on yer head, well…(he he) I heard that the Nizoral shampoo works directly on the hair follicles to prevent baldness…Good luck and let me know if it works.

Does Propecia or Proscar cause low libido?
Seems like a catch-22 if it does, since some may take androgel (for instance) to increase libido.
That is assuming increased T from androgel could potentialy cause hair loss.