Testosterone Cyp. One Dose Then Quits.

Long story short…

40yo Male Total Test. 277
Went to get on TRT - Prescribed 80mg twice a week

Did my first dose on Monday 10/12

Well I really didnt do my proper research and my findings have made me discontinue. I should have done the research first. Anyways after just this single dose do I have anything to worry about?

Havent really noticed anything on it so Im thinking no but I wanted to get the communities take on it. Will my natural production start back up? Did it really stop from just this one dose?

Thanks for the answers!

You will be fine.

Please read these stickies:

• advice for new guys
  • things that damage your hormones
  • protocol for injections
  • finding a TRT doc

Please post more info as per the advice for new guys sticky.
Post your lab work with lab ranges.

Labs: -minumum
TT
FT
E2
LH/FSH - should have been done before any TRT
CBC
hematocrit
AST/ALT

Thanks KSman…I didnt post the rest of the stuff because this will most likely be my only post. If I do resume therapy I will post everything. One question, with just this one dose, did my endocrine/testes shut down completely or does it take a few injections to get that to stop?

[quote]earlyriser wrote:
Thanks KSman…I didnt post the rest of the stuff because this will most likely be my only post. If I do resume therapy I will post everything. One question, with just this one dose, did my endocrine/testes shut down completely or does it take a few injections to get that to stop? [/quote]

Why would you not use TRT with that abnormally low T value?

Your HPTA would have reduced LH/FSH. But testes would not be shutdown. So no really reason to expect that there would be a long term effect.

Please look at those stickies to be prepared.

You shouldn’t have any problems or any difficulty recovering from one 80 mg dose. Most likely you won’t notice anything.

The thought of it shutting down my endocrine/testicles for good scares me for some reason. Also, something about being on it for the rest of my life bothers me also. Maybe if i were 60 id be ok with it but at 40, just makes me rethink it. I also jumped into this fairly quickly. Long story short, about three months ago I had enough being overweight and out of shape so I started eating right, jogging, and going to the gym. Ive lost almost 30 pounds so far and thats when I went to see the doc about the low T.

I also have severe sleep apnea and dont wear the mask, it just sucks having something on your face when your trying to sleep as well as having insomnia. TRT i read also exacerbates that issue. Sorry for being long-winded hope this explains some. Probably going to see if i can lose another 20 or so pounds and then get blood worked tested again. Maybe my sleep apnea is caused by me being overweight, which in turn again from what i have read can cause low T. Who knows…Im majorly confused on what to do.

What are y’alls thoughts about being on it for life? Does that concern you? Especially for the guys that are around 40yo and just now starting. Is it worth it? That could possibly be around 30-50 more years!No judging, just very curious as im trying to figure it out for myself. Im also not a body builder at all…Just an average joe just trying to lose some weight and get into shape.

Being on it for life is sure a hell of lot better than the trying to live your life with low testosterone. I’m 50 and have been on it for almost a year. I feel just like I did in my 20’s when I am at the gym. Every time I go lift weights it’s awesome, never a bad workout. I am actually kinda sad when I finish my workout and leave the gym. TRT rocks when you get it dialed in correctly.

I have a friend I talked into TRT. He is 40, and has sleep apnea also. The first thing he noticed when starting TRT was the quality of his sleep improved dramatically. He can sleep 8 full hours at a time now… and he also dreams. He said he hasn’t remembered having a dream in years.
It doesn’t matter what age you are, if you need it … you need it.

2nd blood test before TRT - Thoughts?

Here are my results of the second blood test before any TRT:
DHEA 598
Test Total - 376
Test Free - 20.5
Estogen - 20.5
These were the only values given over the phone, they are mailing me the whole thing. The only other value I have available from the first test is my total which was 277.
The doctor put me on Test. Cyp. 0.4ml twice a week. Do you think this warrants it? Good dose for a 40yo Male 25 pounds overweight. Although I do eat good now and go to the gym at least 3 times a week and cardio 2- 3 times a week. Thinking about for going treatment and exhausting all options before continuing with what the doc ordered. My main concern is being on it for life which could possibly be 40-50 more years and the sleep apnea.

Most guys with age related decline in T levels are not diagnosed at that age.

You do appear to need TRT and would greatly benefit from it. However, you need to get proper labs and diagnostics. Then you need to find a doc who knows how to do things right or is open and willing to learn. Doctors are the major problem.

Please read those stickies.

Just for my .02:

I had very low T measured at age 22. First test was 33 (!), they thought there must be some error, retested and it was 40.

The bizarre thing for me was that I was not symptomatic in the typical way. Still grew body hair, fair amount of muscular strength and muscularity, etc. We only found out because I do have one symptom: no libido at all. Realized I hadn’t ejaculated in years, hadn’t really thought about it (was highly engaged in academics in ugrad, ivy league law school, it just slipped through the cracks). I went to a doc for anemia and realized that the libido issue was worth mentioning. Doc gave me a full blood panel, and what do you know…

I had a similar concern as you: the thought of being on a medication your whole life was and still is daunting. I don’t like being on medication in general: I would like to have a body that can function on its own without my having to give myself injections &c. And moreover, having a consistent source of the medication is a bit of a pain for people who have a spell that involves moving around every year or two like me.

To Brick’s question of “Why would you not?”, my answer at first was because I was not symptomatic in the typical way a low T patient is. I was, however, severely, severely anemic, which we initially thought was due to a number of things they ultimately ruled out: an ulcer of some kind, autoimmune problems, cancer (!), and several other things. But for reasons that were never really fully explained, my blood values balanced out when I was using the traditional dose of T Cyp. So that’s why I take it.

OP, I will say that at least for me, using T Cyp wasn’t one of those things where you wake up the next day feeling totally different. It took a couple weeks/months for me to notice anything at all (eg, started having some morning wood). Question for you is whether the longer term costs of being dependent on the medication are worth the benefits you get from the medication. For me, they keep my blood levels balanced. But as a matter of traditional “low T” patient profiles, I wouldn’t be taking it if I didn’t have the blood issue because I don’t notice substantial benefits in any other areas (my libido never really came back, perhaps as much a psychological thing as a physiological one).

I’ve been on TRT for 7 years now, and that’s just my experience.

[quote]earlyriser wrote:
What are y’alls thoughts about being on it for life? Does that concern you? Especially for the guys that are around 40yo and just now starting. Is it worth it? That could possibly be around 30-50 more years!No judging, just very curious as im trying to figure it out for myself. Im also not a body builder at all…Just an average joe just trying to lose some weight and get into shape.[/quote]

I have the same concern about lifelong treatment, especially if low T may hev been caused by controllable lifestyle factors.

Since losing weight can have major positive effects on natural T levels, what I would do if I were you is to complete your weight loss and continue exercising. After you have been stable at your target weight for a few months, I would then ask the doctor to retest hormones.