Testopel Experience?

Anyone have any experience with Testopel?

KS, do you know anything about it? Pros, cons?

I’ve heard on other message boards that testosterone pellets were some patients’ most preferred method after experiencing gels, injections and patches. The reason is that they provide a slow release of testosterone that minimizes conversion to E2. This most closely represents the body’s own production of testosterone. Many hormone doctors only prescribe using pellets for this reason. Many say that their libido was the highest on pellets. In a study, patients were studied by the difference between TE and pellets. When given a choice, the majority chose pellets. From what i’ve read, it’s a simple procedure.

There are a few disadvantages to them. First, they are very expensive. I believe around $75 per pellet. Many guys need around 10-15 pellets just to get to the 900 range and oftentimes insurance doesn’t cover them. Secondly, there is a risk of extrusion, especially in active guys. Thirdly, you may have to get them more often than 3 months depending on your bloodwork. A lot of big name T experts like Shippen and Crisler do not like pellets since they are “stone age”, costly, and expose patients to unnecesary risks like infection and extrusion. However, a Dr. Gambrel of Augusta, GA is well-renowned for his expertise in using T-pellets.

I would PM a guy on this board named PMgamer…he’s had experience with pellets.

Here’s a link to a study where patients preferred pellets to IM:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

KS, do you know anything about it? Pros, cons? [/quote]

Pain in the ass literally.
cost about 700 every 3 months
Does not follow natural levels
may help with estrodial yes - one positive

negative out way the positives hands down .

Isn’t the upper limit for prescription 450 mg? I read each pellet is 75 mg. I’m considering switching from Androgel to Testopel.

I have health insurance.

[quote]Hardasnails wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Pain in the ass literally.
cost about 700 every 3 months
Does not follow natural levels
may help with estrodial yes - one positive

negative out way the positives hands down .[/quote]

I know two docs whose patients feel great on it.

What is the cost with insurance?

Isn’t one of the main intentions with this drug to follow natural levels, just like Androgel?

I think I might try it and see how it goes. I don’t mind applying Androgel, but not rubbing on anything and no trips to the pharmacy is convenient.

From the Rx information:

The usual starting dose is 150 milligrams to 450 milligrams (2 to 6 pellets) implanted by your doctor every 3 to 6 months. That’s not 10+ pellets.

Listen, prescribing information=CYA (cover your ass). That is the lowest amount that they can say will be effective without exposing themselves to unnecessary risk if someone has an adverse event.

Many pharmaceutical sales reps for Androgel and Testim like to slam Testopel because it takes so many pellets to be effective.

Unlike you, I go by where many others have been before. I can think of at least 5 guys who love the pellets but had to get at least 10 (750mg) just to be effective. You asked for my experience, and while not personal, I can tell you what I’ve heard. I would recommend the pellets, but you probably won’t see good results at such a low dose.

[quote]JLWilson wrote:
Listen, prescribing information=CYA (cover your ass). That is the lowest amount that they can say will be effective without exposing themselves to unnecessary risk if someone has an adverse event.

Many pharmaceutical sales reps for Androgel and Testim like to slam Testopel because it takes so many pellets to be effective.

Unlike you, I go by where many others have been before. I can think of at least 5 guys who love the pellets but had to get at least 10 (750mg) just to be effective. You asked for my experience, and while not personal, I can tell you what I’ve heard. I would recommend the pellets, but you probably won’t see good results at such a low dose. [/quote]

Fair point.

Dude, I’m not trying to argue with you. I was just talking. After all, the standard dose for Androgel has worked great for me for 8 years.

[quote]JLWilson wrote:

Unlike you, I go by where many others have been before. I can think of at least 5 guys who love the pellets but had to get at least 10 (750mg) just to be effective. You asked for my experience, and while not personal, I can tell you what I’ve heard. I would recommend the pellets, but you probably won’t see good results at such a low dose. [/quote]

JUST ASKING: What kind of doc would prescribe over the standard dose? That’s not covering one’s ass - giving more than the standard.

You’re lucky the standard dose worked for you.

I meant for the pharmaceutical company. It shifts more risk on the doctor. That way, if you have a problem and try to sue Solvay, they can say “Well, it wasn’t our product that caused it; the doctor was prescribing excessive dosages so you should sue him”.

I wouldn’t be surprised if 4-6 gets you eugonadal; I would be extremely surprised if it gets you above 700ng/dl.

My level has been 700 to 1000 ng/dl with 7.5-10 grams of gel per day for 8+ yrs.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:

Harvard doctor Abraham Morgentaler thinks pellets are the one of the best methods of T delivery and says his patients really like the convenience of them. This guy is all about getting people to high normal T levels, so I assume that pellets inserted a few times a year can achieve this.

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
My level has been 700 to 1000 ng/dl with 7.5-10 grams of gel per day for 8+ yrs. [/quote]

Yay!!! I am giving you a standing ovation over here in case you were wondering. Why do you want to switch? Convenience?

[quote]JLWilson wrote:

[quote]Bricknyce wrote:
My level has been 700 to 1000 ng/dl with 7.5-10 grams of gel per day for 8+ yrs. [/quote]

Yay!!! I am giving you a standing ovation over here in case you were wondering. Why do you want to switch? Convenience? [/quote]

I really don’t get you.

Yes, convenience.

Gotcha. Well, I am really interested to see how they work for you. I am not sure how this site receives logs, but I for one would be very interested. At least you know that you can go back to Androgel if it doesn’t work.

I tried to copy and paste another study. But it came up weird. I will find and post soon.

Subcutaneous testosterone pellet implant (Testopel) therapy for men with testosterone deficiency syndrome: a single-site retrospective safety analysis.

J Sex Med. 2009 Nov;6(11):3177-92. Epub 2009 Sep 29.

Google that.

We had a thread where someone was very positive and tried, then hated. Maybe someone can find and get that bumped to this forum. Also risks of deep infection. Doc’s love it, makes for big charges. If a doc is on pellets and loves it, he is not paying the costs that you pay.

There are many issues.

Edit: Found the post - http://tnation.T-Nation.com/free_online_forum/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding_senior/got_t_pellets_today?id=3401276&pageNo=0

Couple of notes:

-Headhunter never got BW done or he never posted it in that thread so it’s hard to tell how effective they are if dose is correct.
-HH only got 4 pellets in as opposed to the FightU35, who got 10 and his #'s were at 979ng/dl.
-FightU35’s experience appears to be discounted because injections didn’t work for him before he did pellets and appeared to be experimenting with the dosage of A-Dex the entire time he was on pellets.

I think some guys like pellets because of convenience and less peaks and valleys. Even on weekly injections, you are subjecting yourself to somewhat of a peak and valley 52x a year. Pellets subject your body to one peak and valley every 3 months.
I would link to others experiences on other boards but I fear that is rather taboo. I will say the majority of them are positive. Most of the people who knock pellets appear to be those who haven’t tried them. People who do have a positive experience on pellets tend to prefer them above all other methods and refuse to go back to injections.

I would think that pellets should be reserved for veterans who desire a more convenient method of testosterone delivery. Noobs shouldn’t use pellets since the first few months of TRT are key to adjusting dosages and adjusting your dosage of pellets requires opening you up and adding/removing pellets.

As you can tell, I am pro-pellets. Haha! Either way, it’s good to get both sides of the coin.

[quote]JLWilson wrote:
I think some guys like pellets because of convenience and less peaks and valleys. Even on weekly injections, you are subjecting yourself to somewhat of a peak and valley 52x a year. [/quote]

why would you compare pellets cycles to the known bad rollcoaster swings of weekly injections?

Why would you not compare pellets to shots E3D or EOD since that is best practice?

I had researched pellets and wanted to try them but the doctor I was seeing wouldn’t and I got on shots instead (thankfully).

Why go through a medical procedure and spend $$$ when you can take a simple shot EOD that gives you steady T levels? (shots are not painful if you do them correctly).