Testing Vertical Jump

how?

i know how to rate progress, but im interested in how the VJ is tested in football combines. do they stand on tip-toe and reach as high as possible with one arm, or flat-footed, or stand straight without benching torso and reach high, or what?

im confused because teh way i imagine VJ would be tested is flat-footed reach as high as possible (results in bending of torso), but this means that i have a casual 26-27" VJ. well, i can full squat 2x bodyweight and powerclean 1.4-1.5x bodyweight, and that just doesn’t seem to add up.

but, ive heard that in VJ testing you dont reach as high as possible by bending torso but by keeping spine vertical and shoulders horizontal and extending arm as high as it can. well, if i do this then i’ve got a casual 31-32 inch VJ. and that seems more like it compared to my full squat and powerclean #s.

of course, i also suck at jumping cuz i dont do it (yet), but i can sprint like a muthafucka :stuck_out_tongue:

all enlightenment is appreciated.

When a recruiter came around my college, he had the guys stand perfectly stiff and raise their hand as high as they could - no torso bending or anything. Dunno if they all do it that way, but it seems like that’d be standardized.

-Dan

[quote]wufwugy wrote:
how?

i know how to rate progress, but im interested in how the VJ is tested in football combines. do they stand on tip-toe and reach as high as possible with one arm, or flat-footed, or stand straight without benching torso and reach high, or what?

im confused because teh way i imagine VJ would be tested is flat-footed reach as high as possible (results in bending of torso), but this means that i have a casual 26-27" VJ. well, i can full squat 2x bodyweight and powerclean 1.4-1.5x bodyweight, and that just doesn’t seem to add up.

but, ive heard that in VJ testing you dont reach as high as possible by bending torso but by keeping spine vertical and shoulders horizontal and extending arm as high as it can. well, if i do this then i’ve got a casual 31-32 inch VJ. and that seems more like it compared to my full squat and powerclean #s.

of course, i also suck at jumping cuz i dont do it (yet), but i can sprint like a muthafucka :stuck_out_tongue:

all enlightenment is appreciated.[/quote]

nike gridiron combine has athletes standing still with no torso bend as the highest measurement.

then again the 40 yard dash tends to be about 39.9 with a -2% grade for them too.

a good way to measure is to use an electronic pad, that’s what we do to test our athletes.

a good way to measure is to use an electronic pad, that’s what we do to test our athletes.

We used one of these things and got to playing around with it and trying to tuck our legs and land in this position. You increase the time out of contact and the pad reads this as a higher jump. I got mine up to 41"!!!

Not that this contributes anything to the thread, I just thought I’d throw it out there.

I thought it was always. Go up to VJ thing. And JUMP. lol just jump like you would regularly jump? Mmm guess I’m wrong. I actually really wanna know how to do this? maybe someone has a video link or something on it, i wanna know what mine is.

dl-