T Nation

Testing Maxes on DL, Squat, & Bench

I want to test my 1RM on deadlifts, squats and bench press, but can I do it all on the same day? I need to start my diet and conditioning phase, so I’m probably at my strongest right now. I guess just do some warm up sets and the rest like 5-10 minutes between excercises? Should I do squat bench then dead or what do you guys think?

If you’ve been training heavy, you might want to take it easy for a week then test things out at the end. Squat, bench, then deadlift would be perfect.

It would be less stressfull to test on different days. But you could do it all in one, just think of it as a mock PL contest.
Take your time and take 5 to 7 days off afterwards (CNS fatigue).
Good luck and let us know your results.

I would take a week down to recover prior to testing not off but a deload and then if you can do it on separate days. This will give you a nice baseline.

Don’t forget the video. If it ain’t on tape, it never happened.

Let us know how it goes in the PR thread.

I test them all, same day, every friday. What’s the big deal?

Rest 5-10 in between.
Warm up!!
Do Squat , then bench, then deadlift.

[quote]elano wrote:
I test them all, same day, every friday. What’s the big deal?[/quote]

Elano why would you do that? I KNOW that’s wrong, and pointless too. What’s the most you can improve in a week, like 5 pounds? I would think you should only test it every 6-8 weeks.

So I just tested my bench guys, I got 235, unfortunatly I didn’t have a spotter. This isn’t the massive number we all hope for but when I started my serious training program 8 weeks ago, I maxed out at 155 for 6 reps.

According to the calculator, my max should have been like 180. So I increased it 55 pounds in 8 weeks, not bad right?

I’m pretty sure my max DL would be around 350, but I’ve never been coached, and I really don’t feel like getting hurt.

I started warming up for my squat, but the front of my hips were so sore, I could hardly get my legs to parallel. I tried to stretch my hip flexors for a while but it didn’t get much better, I’m guess the most I could do is about 225.

Again I didn’t have a spotter and the only person around was this crazy guy who’s homeless I think cause he stays in the gym for hours and hours and yells at himself in the mirror.

So, that’s not very balanced is it?
Bench- 235
Deadlift- 350
Squat- 225

[quote]WesleyD wrote:
Elano why would you do that? I KNOW that’s wrong, and pointless too. What’s the most you can improve in a week, like 5 pounds? I would think you should only test it every 6-8 weeks.

[/quote]

Exactly Wesley. I improve 5lbs each week on my squat, bench, and press, and 10 lb on my dead.

If you can add 5lb each week to your max bench, how much weight will you have added in 3 months?

Hmmmm thats like 60 lbs. Still think it’s pointless?

What I do is test my max on 5rm until I can only do 4 reps, then I test tripples ea. week until I can only rep a double, then I test those until I rep singles. Then test your 1rm until you miss. Back to the 5rm. Get it? You set a PR every week.

It’s called the texas method.

[quote]elano wrote:
WesleyD wrote:

Exactly Wesley. I improve 5lbs each week on my squat, bench, and press, and 10 lb on my dead.

If you can add 5lb each week to your max bench, how much weight will you have added in 3 months?

Hmmmm thats like 60 lbs. Still think it’s pointless?
[/quote]

3 months is 13 or 14 weeks, so by your calculations its 65-70 lbs on bench press.
Except you sort of made up the calculations. After downloading the Texas spreadsheet, the submaximal loads are what increase and the suggested maxes are much less than 5lbs a week which makes the program believable. The way you explained it is far from

[quote]WesleyD wrote:
Again I didn’t have a spotter and the only person around was this crazy guy who’s homeless I think cause he stays in the gym for hours and hours and yells at himself in the mirror.
[/quote]

Dude, I’m actually a very competent spotter.

[quote]WesleyD wrote:
elano wrote:
I test them all, same day, every friday. What’s the big deal?

So I just tested my bench guys, I got 235, unfortunatly I didn’t have a spotter. This isn’t the massive number we all hope for but when I started my serious training program 8 weeks ago, I maxed out at 155 for 6 reps.

According to the calculator, my max should have been like 180. So I increased it 55 pounds in 8 weeks, not bad right?

I’m pretty sure my max DL would be around 350, but I’ve never been coached, and I really don’t feel like getting hurt.

I started warming up for my squat, but the front of my hips were so sore, I could hardly get my legs to parallel. I tried to stretch my hip flexors for a while but it didn’t get much better, I’m guess the most I could do is about 225.

So, that’s not very balanced is it?
Bench- 235
Deadlift- 350
Squat- 225

[/quote]

Steel, get a new shirt that old yellow one is starting to stink…

[quote]WesleyD wrote:
Steel, get a new shirt that old yellow one is starting to stink…[/quote]

Shut up.