T Nation

Testing 1RM for Built Like a Badass

Hey all. I’m going to start Defranco’s Built Like a Badass, so I have to figure out my 1-rep max for the bench, box squat, and chip up (reps). I took a week off from lifting after finishing the last program I was following.
I read Tim Henriques’ article on 1RMs, but since Iâ??ve never tested for 1-rep maxes before I have a few questions:

1. Considering my week off, is it ok to jump right into it and test all 3 tomorrow? Or should I perform some light work for a day or two, and then test them?
  2. If I have to test them on separate days, would it be okay to perform other high rep work?

Thanks in advance!

-Joe

You could get away with doing chins and squat on the same day, but doing all three may be too taxing on the body.

personally i would do bench on day 1 and do your assistance work for bench then on depending on how you feel do the chins and squats on the following day or give it another day of rest.

make sure you do a good warm up, also make sure to ramp up your weights for instance i tried my max on standing military press a couple days ago. I was shooting for a 170 lift so i did 135x5, then 145x2, 155x1, 165x1, 170x1 this way ensures your body is ready for the max lift, but at the same time isnt too taxed from doing 5x5 each set.

Another method you can do is take a basic estimate of what your 1rm would be, lets say you can do 5 reps of 185 for bench that would roughly be a 215 max you could take 90% of that number ~195 and do a set of that and see how many reps you can get which if your previous est is on you should get 3 reps or more. This method isnt perfect, but you can get a general idea or what your lifts are at.

I have tried that program, but does he have a formula that you figure out your 1 rm? in general keep to one formula you can plug those numbers into 3 different calcautations and get 3 different numbers.

[quote]bonerjams98 wrote:
You could get away with doing chins and squat on the same day, but doing all three may be too taxing on the body.

personally i would do bench on day 1 and do your assistance work for bench then on depending on how you feel do the chins and squats on the following day or give it another day of rest.

make sure you do a good warm up, also make sure to ramp up your weights for instance i tried my max on standing military press a couple days ago. I was shooting for a 170 lift so i did 135x5, then 145x2, 155x1, 165x1, 170x1 this way ensures your body is ready for the max lift, but at the same time isnt too taxed from doing 5x5 each set.

Another method you can do is take a basic estimate of what your 1rm would be, lets say you can do 5 reps of 185 for bench that would roughly be a 215 max you could take 90% of that number ~195 and do a set of that and see how many reps you can get which if your previous est is on you should get 3 reps or more. This method isnt perfect, but you can get a general idea or what your lifts are at.

I have tried that program, but does he have a formula that you figure out your 1 rm? in general keep to one formula you can plug those numbers into 3 different calcautations and get 3 different numbers. [/quote]

Thanks for the response. Yeah I’ll think I’ll go ahead and do bench + assistance work tomorrow, then chins and squats probably on Wednesday. So you’ve tried Built Like a Badass already? I don’t think he has a 1RM calculator, but if I end up using one, I’ll probably use the one at exrx.

Thanks again!

Those calculators don’t take into account that different exercises need to be calculated differently. Try your best to lift your real 1RM.

I would do each max lift on a different day with assistance work for that muscle group. Just treat it like the first lift of the day.

What are your bests on those lifts? I know you haven’t maxed before, but what weight for how many reps? I could give you some targets to shoot for based on those numbers, if you’d like.

[quote]JayPierce wrote:
Those calculators don’t take into account that different exercises need to be calculated differently. Try your best to lift your real 1RM.

I would do each max lift on a different day with assistance work for that muscle group. Just treat it like the first lift of the day.

What are your bests on those lifts? I know you haven’t maxed before, but what weight for how many reps? I could give you some targets to shoot for based on those numbers, if you’d like.[/quote]

Thanks for the help! I had very poor quality sleep monday night (finals are coming up. lol) but i went for my bench max yesterday. It went like this:

45x8
95x8
115x5
135x3
155x1
170x1
185x1
190x1
195x1

The last attempt was pretty difficult but I was able to do it without my form crapping out. I’m going for my squat max tomorrow. The most I’ve ever box squatted was 255x2 and I’d gladly take that considering I’ve lost around 15 lbs. since then. I don’t think I need to do my chins max, I’m sure it’s around 12-13.