T Nation

Test Tomorrow- Should I SPIKE It?

Hey all,

Got a physics test tomorrow, and will be staying up pretty late tonight (probably until 3AM or so) studying. I’m pretty hopped up on coffee, so won’t be taking Spike tonight. I’ll be waking up at 8 or so and studying for a few more hours until my 11.30 exam.

Whenever I drink alot of coffee I don’t sleep well (obviously) and the next morning I feel groggy. If I try to drink coffee before the test, though, I get jittery and usually make silly mistakes. Could I take Spike before the test for the mental clarity and energy minus the jitters and other negatives of coffee?

Everyone’s different, but if I was in that situation, I would take a Spike tablet.

Depending on how you react to caffeine, either regular or caffeine-free Spike might be the best choice.

I would!

If you have to ask the question, then you obviously don’t know how Spike affects you. In which case, it’s probably a bad idea, since it’s usually not smart to introduce a new substance during an important event.

Spike helped me nail my finals a couple months ago.

I don’t think I’ve taken an important test in college without Spike in the last couple years.

But if you don’t know how you’ll react take less than normal or none at all.

I always lose my appetite with Spike but feel like shit if my blood sugar drops so make sure you’re eating too.

[quote]Schmazz wrote:
Spike helped me nail my finals a couple months ago.[/quote]

Yeah, I took Spike before the SAT and killed it. It’s definitely a good choice, as long as you know how you are affected by Spike. You don’t want to take it and then be buggin out in the middle of your test.

Don’t forget the research that shows creatine can improve cognitive function in cases of sleep deprivation. I’d have a serving of creatine pre sleep and upon awakening just to cover my bases. And, yes, I would take the Spike. Hope you study enough to do well…

I find Spike to be very helpful without any jitters, but I completely agree with Cali -you don’t introduce elements like this for “the show”.

edit: I want to emphasize that this is a universally applicable suggestion, and not specifically related to caffeine/nootropics.

(I keep thinking of people who try to dehydrate for the first time , right before a bodybuilding competition)

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
If you have to ask the question, then you obviously don’t know how Spike affects you. In which case, it’s probably a bad idea, since it’s usually not smart to introduce a new substance during an important event.[/quote]