Test, Sperm Parameters Improved by Ginger

Who is to say it was not sponsored by ginger plant growers - but good results

Iranian Journal of Reproductive Medicine, Vol. 7, No. 1, 2009, pp. 7-12
en The effects of Ginger on spermatogenesis and sperm parameters of rat
Khaki, Arash; Fathiazad, Fatemeh; Nouri, Mohammad; Khaki, Amir Afshin; Ozanci, Chelar C; Ghafari-Novin, Marefat & Hamadeh, Mohammad
Abstract

Background: Ginger rhizome (Zingiber officinale R., family: Zingiberaceae) is used medicinally and as a culinary spice.
Objective: Medicinal use of ginger dates back to ancient China and India. Ginger and its constituents are stated to have antiemetic, antithrombotic, antihepatotoxic, anti-inflammatory, stimulant, cholagogue and antioxidant. It has been used since ancient time as medicinal and food origins it contain antioxidative and androgenic activities and have well effect in diseases treatment in more countries world-wide. As an antioxidantâ??s ginger has a useful effect on spermatogenesis and sperm parameters.

Materials and Methods: Wistar male rat (n=30) were allocated into three groups, control (n=10) and test groups (n=20), that subdivided into groups of 2 that received ginger rhizome powder (50 and 100mg/kg/day) for 20 consequence day. Animals were kept in standard conditions. In twentieth day the testes tissue of Rats in whole groups were removed and sperm was collected from epididymis and prepared for analysis.

Results: Serum total testosterones significantly increased in experimental group that has received 100 mg/kg/day Ginger (p<0.05) in comparison to control group. Besides, the percentage of sperm viability and motility in both test groups significantly increased (p<0.05) in comparison to control group, Whereas, LH, FSH hormones, sperm concentration, morphology and testes weights in both experimental and control group were similar.

Conclusion: Results revealed that administration of 100 mg/kg/day of ginger significantly increased sperm percentage, viability, motility and serum total testosterones. This suggested that ginger may be promising in enhancing sperm healthy parameters.

Sperm motolity more than doubled
Sperm viability up by 50%
Sperm count up by approx 30%
Total T more than doubled

Apparently giger is a good antioxidant that reduces free radical damage in the testes and increases T production

[quote]Cymru wrote:

Khaki, Arash; Fathiazad, Fatemeh; Nouri, Mohammad; Khaki, Amir Afshin; Ozanci, Chelar C; Ghafari-Novin, Marefat & Hamadeh, Mohammad
Abstract

Background: Ginger rhizome (Zingiber officinale R., family: Zingiberaceae) is used medicinally and as a culinary spice.
Objective: Medicinal use of ginger dates back to ancient China and India. Ginger and its constituents are stated to have antiemetic, antithrombotic, antihepatotoxic, anti-inflammatory, stimulant, cholagogue and antioxidant. It has been used since ancient time as medicinal and food origins it contain antioxidative and androgenic activities and have well effect in diseases treatment in more countries world-wide. As an antioxidantâ??s ginger has a useful effect on spermatogenesis and sperm parameters.

Materials and Methods: Wistar male rat (n=30) were allocated into three groups, control (n=10) and test groups (n=20), that subdivided into groups of 2 that received ginger rhizome powder (50 and 100mg/kg/day) for 20 consequence day. Animals were kept in standard conditions. In twentieth day the testes tissue of Rats in whole groups were removed and sperm was collected from epididymis and prepared for analysis.

Results: Serum total testosterones significantly increased in experimental group that has received 100 mg/kg/day Ginger (p<0.05) in comparison to control group. Besides, the percentage of sperm viability and motility in both test groups significantly increased (p<0.05) in comparison to control group, Whereas, LH, FSH hormones, sperm concentration, morphology and testes weights in both experimental and control group were similar.

Conclusion: Results revealed that administration of 100 mg/kg/day of ginger significantly increased sperm percentage, viability, motility and serum total testosterones. This suggested that ginger may be promising in enhancing sperm healthy parameters.

Apparently giger is a good antioxidant that reduces free radical damage in the testes and increases T production
[/quote]

Interesting.

Is there some kind of standardized extract ? or is it simply “ginger”.

Do they know the actual compound responsible or is it kind of up in the air at this point ?

Yeah, this was on ergo-log:

[quote]Westclock wrote:
Cymru wrote:

Abstract

Objective: Medicinal use of ginger dates back to ancient China and India. Ginger and its constituents are stated to have antiemetic, antithrombotic, antihepatotoxic, anti-inflammatory, stimulant, cholagogue and antioxidant. It has been used since ancient time as medicinal and food origins it contain antioxidative and androgenic activities and have well effect in diseases treatment in more countries world-wide. As an antioxidant�?�¢??s ginger has a useful effect on spermatogenesis and sperm parameters.

Interesting.

Is there some kind of standardized extract ? or is it simply “ginger”.

Do they know the actual compound responsible or is it kind of up in the air at this point ?[/quote]

It was just ginger. Ginger apparently contains zingerone, gingerdiol, zingibrene, gingerols and shogaols which are all antioxidants. In tests the rats who took ginger had lower levels of malondialdehyde in their blood stream which is an indicator of damage to cell walls.

very interesting! after reading that study’s results, I started eating pure ginger today :slight_smile:

now I’m waiting for its magical effects to happen (I’m dead serious)

Been thinking the same - how does 10 grams of ginger go down?

I just discovered this research a little late. Did any of you experience any significant changes?

I’m going to give it a shot anyway. :slight_smile:

There are three or four papers currently doing the rounds which all show good results.

Food Chem Toxicol. 2010 Oct;48(10):2920-4. Epub 2010 Jul 25.
Safety and efficacy of Zingiber officinale roots on fertility of male diabetic rats.
Shalaby MA, Hamowieh AR.

Pharmacology Department, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Giza, PO Box 12211, Egypt. mstf_shalby@yahoo.com
Abstract
The acute toxicity of methanolic and watery extracts of Zingiber officinale (ZO) roots in mice and their effects on fertility of male diabetic rats were carried out. The fertility experiment was done on six groups of male rats one of them was kept as normal control, while the others were rendered diabetic by subcutaneous injection of alloxan (120 mg kg(-1)). One group was left as diabetic control, while the others were given orally either methanolic (100 and 200 mg kg(-1)) or watery extract (150 and 300 mg kg(-1)) for 65 consecutive days. The results showed that no mortalities occur when both extracts were given orally to mice in doses up to 5 g kg(-1) b.wt. Both extracts increased fertility index, sexual organs weight, serum testosterone level and sperm motility and count. Histopathological examination of the testes of diabetic rats showed mild to moderate degenerative changes of spermatogenic cells, diffuse edema and incomplete arrest of spermatogenesis. Treatment with ZO extracts caused alleviation of the testicular lesions that appeared in non-treated diabetic rats. Conclusively, extracts of ZO have high safety in mice and intake of ZO roots as a drink may be useful for diabetic patients who suffer from sexual impotency.

I put about 5 grams a cup in my green tea, and have two cups a day. In addition I eat 5.5 grams of fish oil with added ginger. The tea tastes like some kind of thin oriental soup. I have no trouble digesting it, and there is no heart burn.
It’s really too bad that no research is done on human populations. What if ginger is the mother of all natural t-boosters? That would be awesome, as it is so much easier to get where I live than the herbs in Alpha Male. Tribulus terrestris and vitus agnus is illegal in my country.

Interesting study. Its unlikely to be bogus, Iranian research is currently focused on finding cheap treatments to medical problems using easily available materials, with the goal of increasing the level of medical care of the poorest. The other one that comes to mind was the onion juice study, apparently if I remember rightly they found that fresh onion juice is as effective as nolvadex as an anti estrogen.

Could be useful in an emergency!

[quote]MassiveGuns wrote:
The other one that comes to mind was the onion juice study, apparently if I remember rightly they found that fresh onion juice is as effective as nolvadex as an anti estrogen.

Could be useful in an emergency![/quote]

lol. I can see it now: “Gonna be runnin’ 18g of Onion juice EOD for PCT. Should recover just fine”.

Then the DEA will start monitoring onion purchases, and school children will be warned about muscle-men who have onion breath.

I’ve been trying this for a while now. I know it’s pure bro science to draw conclusions from personal experiences, especially since I haven’t had any blood work done before and after. Still I have to say I now believe there is something to this.

My sex drive has been slowing down through my thirties, but since I started eating lots of ginger it has made something of a comeback. I’m not quite as maniacal about sex as I was as a teen, but I’m definitly more horny than I’ve been for years. I also have rock hard erections every time I wake up at night or in the morning even if I had sex the evening before.
Training is also going well. This might have to do with all around smarter diet choices, but it’s been a long time since I managed to stay this slim while bulking up. I am also making some decent strength gains on the big lifts.

Given that ginger has a lot of other positive health benefits as well I think I’ll hold off on asking my doc for T-replacement.

Hmmm bloodwork anyone?

Interesting I have low test. I will be more than happy to find some ginger and start pounding it down and see how my numbers change. I go to the doctor next week for a follow up and will ask to have my levels retested to see how my natural methods right now are working.

Then I will add in ginger and see how much more it changes. Unless of course I haven’t responded at all to the natural stuff.

Then I don’t know what I will do.

I would like to know the best way to administer it though.
Just eat it like you guys? Are there tablets?

You can certainly purchase ginger tablets in the UK, I don’t know what is a standard dose though. I have some tablets here which contain an equivalent of 1000mg ginger root extract with 5% ginerols. You can presumably do better than that. I haven’t given them a fair trial, when I bought them I got a bit sick of adding them to all the other pills and capsules I take each day!