T Nation

Test Results - Help Appreciated

Hi there,

I posted on here about a month ago, saying that I was concerned that I’m showing signs of elevtated estrogen levels. I’ve finally got my results from the Doctor and I’ve been told that both my test and estradiol levels are pretty much smack bang in the middle of the ‘normal’ range. I know there’s a lot of criticism of doctors’ readings of hormone levels and their definition of ‘normal’, so I’ll post the various tests results that they gave me, hopefully they will mean more to you guys than me.

Apologies for the amount of tests but it looks like they’ve been quite thorough, if you could give me your informed opinion as to whether my tests do in fact appear ‘normal’, then I would be really grateful.

I realise that as most of you are in the US, your measurements will be different (I think the tests are in millilitres and litres). I think the measure I’ve been given are either in millilitres or litres. Google tells me that 1 millilitre equates to 0.033814 fluid ounces or 0.000264172051242 gallons, I hope that helps!

If you can tell me what you consider to be ‘normal’, I’m more than happy to do the calculations myself.

  1. Thyroid function test- a) Serum free T4 level: 15.0 pmol/l (9.0 - 19.0 = normal according to report)
    b) Sereum TSH level: 1.54 mu/L (0.35 - 4.94 = normal)

  2. Serum testosterone test - 16.2 nmol/L (10.0-30.0 = normal range, according to the report)

  3. Serum oestradiol level test - a) Follicular phase: 77-921 pmol/L; (nb. not sure if this is just for reference but Midcycle: 139 -2382 pmol/L)
    b) Luteal phase:

Luteal phase: 77- 1145 pmol/L (then I think this is just for reference ‘Postmenopausal (not on HRT): <57 -103 PMOL/l male 40-161’)

  1. Liver function test:

Serum total protein - 73 g/L (64-83 normal range)

Serum albumin - 42 g/L (35-50 normal range)

Serum bilirubin level - 11 umol/L (3-21 normal)

Alk phos - 67 iu/L (40-150 normal)

ALT/SGPT serum level - 31 iu/L (< 55 normal)

Serum gamma GT level - 26 iu/L (12-64 normal)

Thanks a lot

[quote]majicka wrote:
Hi there,

I posted on here about a month ago, saying that I was concerned that I’m showing signs of elevtated estrogen levels. I’ve finally got my results from the Doctor and I’ve been told that both my test and estradiol levels are pretty much smack bang in the middle of the ‘normal’ range. I know there’s a lot of criticism of doctors’ readings of hormone levels and their definition of ‘normal’, so I’ll post the various tests results that they gave me, hopefully they will mean more to you guys than me.

Apologies for the amount of tests but it looks like they’ve been quite thorough, if you could give me your informed opinion as to whether my tests do in fact appear ‘normal’, then I would be really grateful.

I realise that as most of you are in the US, your measurements will be different (I think the tests are in millilitres and litres). I think the measure I’ve been given are either in millilitres or litres. Google tells me that 1 millilitre equates to 0.033814 fluid ounces or 0.000264172051242 gallons, I hope that helps!

If you can tell me what you consider to be ‘normal’, I’m more than happy to do the calculations myself.

  1. Thyroid function test- a) Serum free T4 level: 15.0 pmol/l (9.0 - 19.0 = normal according to report)
    b) Sereum TSH level: 1.54 mu/L (0.35 - 4.94 = normal)

  2. Serum testosterone test - 16.2 nmol/L (10.0-30.0 = normal range, according to the report)

  3. Serum oestradiol level test - a) Follicular phase: 77-921 pmol/L; (nb. not sure if this is just for reference but Midcycle: 139 -2382 pmol/L)
    b) Luteal phase:

Luteal phase: 77- 1145 pmol/L (then I think this is just for reference ‘Postmenopausal (not on HRT): <57 -103 PMOL/l male 40-161’)

  1. Liver function test:

Serum total protein - 73 g/L (64-83 normal range)

Serum albumin - 42 g/L (35-50 normal range)

Serum bilirubin level - 11 umol/L (3-21 normal)

Alk phos - 67 iu/L (40-150 normal)

ALT/SGPT serum level - 31 iu/L (< 55 normal)

Serum gamma GT level - 26 iu/L (12-64 normal)

Thanks a lot[/quote]

Your biggest concern was elevated e2 but I don’t think you have given us your result. It looks like you only posted ranges but not your result or did I miss something?

What made you get blood work done? Symptoms?

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:
[Your biggest concern was elevated e2 but I don’t think you have given us your result. It looks like you only posted ranges but not your result or did I miss something?

What made you get blood work done? Symptoms?

[/quote]

Hi, as far as I’m aware, that’s everything I was given by the Doctor. There’s oestradiol readings in my previous post, is that not it? If the info’s not there, I’ll have another look when I get back home.

I have very mild gyno, which I developed during puberty and also have a tendency to hold fat around my upper thighs and buttocks, which I believed is more associated with females. Also, I have a tendency to be a bit on the podgy side. I’m bigger than when I first started lifting but back then I’d definitely be described as ‘skinny fat’.

So was your e2 103 pmol/l ?

If it was 103 according to my maths your E2 comes in at 28 pg/ml.

This is pretty much in the ideal range of 20-30.

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:
So was your e2 103 pmol/l ?

If it was 103 according to my maths your E2 comes in at 28 pg/ml.

This is pretty much in the ideal range of 20-30.[/quote]

Thanks for the response.

Erm, to be honest, I wasn’t sure about that particular reading- it looked like it could have been a reference figure, rather than a result. I’m fairly new to all of this, so I’m slightly unfamiliar with much of the terminology but I’ll double-check that when I get home.

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:
So was your e2 103 pmol/l ?

If it was 103 according to my maths your E2 comes in at 28 pg/ml.

This is pretty much in the ideal range of 20-30.[/quote]

Ok, I’ve had a look and I think the confusion arose from what looks like a reference figure. My serum oestradiol level is down as 90 pmol/L, which would still be in the range you mentioned, albeit lower at about 24.5.

Apologies for all the questions, but as I said, I’m pretty new to all of this. From what you can gather, do my other readings look ok?

Oh, some more info about myself. I’m 31 years old, 6 foot tall, with an approximately 36 inch waist. I weigh about 210lbs.

I was until last week training a four day split, focussing on the ‘big three’, each sessions lasting an hour or less. However I’ve had to switch to three days a week, due to starting a new job with longer hours and having to study for professional exams. My diet was until last week quite low carb, the only grains I ate being porridge in the morning - other than that, lots of fruit and veg (broccoli is eaten daily now), high protein. I’ve had to eat low carb wraps at work, due to the new place having no microwave. I eat about every 3-3.5 hours.

I stuggle to get 8 hours sleep, which I feel I need and also tend to have a few beers on the weekend, without getting hammered most of the time.

With regard to body hair, I’m probably a bit hairier than average and though I just about have to shave every day to avoid looking scruffy, my facial hair doesn’t seem as ‘dense’ as the rest of my body hair, e.g. I don’t grow a great beard and it takes a while.

I seem to get ‘morning wood’ most, if not every morning as far as I’m aware. Although for the last couple of weeks, my normally high sex drive has felt lower. I’ve put that down to starting a new job and adjusting to working longer hours but I can’t be sure.

[quote]majicka wrote:

[quote]iroczinoz wrote:
So was your e2 103 pmol/l ?

If it was 103 according to my maths your E2 comes in at 28 pg/ml.

This is pretty much in the ideal range of 20-30.[/quote]

Ok, I’ve had a look and I think the confusion arose from what looks like a reference figure. My serum oestradiol level is down as 90 pmol/L, which would still be in the range you mentioned, albeit lower at about 24.5.

Apologies for all the questions, but as I said, I’m pretty new to all of this. From what you can gather, do my other readings look ok?[/quote]

Well your e2 is fine. Your other readings look also pretty good nothing really sticking out. TSH 1.5 not really for any alarm bells since your ft4 looks pretty good too. I guess we don’t know your ft3 levels and free testosterone.

Have you ever had your cortisol checked?

If you have trouble sleeping that could be something to look at.

Your test levels are not abysmall but free testosterone would be good to see and probably a better indicator.

Thanks for the response.

No, I haven’t had my cortisol levels checked, it’s not something I’d thought of. I think I might go back to the Doc and ask to have my free testosterone levels checked, just to cover all the bases.