Tesla Motors

It looks like TSLA has broken its downward trend line. Pangloss, do you agree?

I’m tempted to jump back in.

Hyperloop is looking pretty awesome.

[quote]on edge wrote:
It looks like TSLA has broken its downward trend line. Pangloss, do you agree?

I’m tempted to jump back in.[/quote]

It’s definitely broken the trend line. Those Q1 numbers were really good. Whether or not the recent low of $185 holds…

TSLA is going to have to accelerate deliveries over the rest of the year. The strong dollar is working against it as well.

If you like the stock, you can start getting long again here. Nearterm upside would be around $227, downside would be $185. Any move below $185 will be paired with bad news from TSLA itself.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

No that’s what fanboys say about Tesla. The reality is Tesla never experimented with or wrote about anything resembling wireless charging at a distance.[/quote]

Evidence supporting your claim, please.

Evidence supporting your claim, please.

Nobody mentioned Edison or Westinghouse in this thread, but evidence supporting your claim, please.

Completely irrelevant to this topic, but what the hell. Evidence supporting your claim, please.[/quote]

You ask for evidence to support a claim, which implies (to me at least) that such evidence can be had. So…how about some evidence for your claim that a claim which purports to argue the non-existence of something can actually be backed up with evidence? How does one prove that something does not exist? [/quote]

It seems that the gentleman made a number of positive claims by implication, for which he provided no evidence.

He claims that Tesla never experimented with, nor wrote about, wireless transmission of electricity at a distance. This suggests that he believes the following articles to have not been written by Tesla:

The Transmission of Electrical Energy Without Wires, Electrical World, March 5, 1904
The Transmission of Electrical Energy Without Wires as a Means for Furthering Peace, Electrical World and Engineer, January 7, 1905
Possibilities of Wireless, New York Times, Oct. 22, 1907

Further, he claims that Tesla was never cheated by Edison or Westinghouse. This again implies that the well-documented accounts of Tesla being cheated out of patent royalties by General Electric are a fabrication, a claim that again he provides no evidence for.

And I don’t know where Steve Jobs fits into this gentleman’s lunacy, but I would like to hear his justification for the claim that Jobs never invented or designed anything at Apple, which would involve disputing as fraudulent the 241 patents with Steve Jobs listed as author or co-author.

In any event, the gentleman certainly lives up to his username. To err is human, and he is indeed too human.

LOL I actually thought this article was serious until the very end when it became clear the author was joking.

Tesla body kit released.

Tesla stock has definitely broken out to the up-side

I think the reason for the renewed positive sentiment is the market is now seeing Tesla as not just a car company but also an energy company. If the general market doesn’t take it down first with a major correction, I think TSLA will continue this run well past 300 bucks a share.

This stock just trades so nicely.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
This stock just trades so nicely. [/quote]

The home battery will be announced this Thursday, should make it more interesting.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
It appears the Tesla home battery pack has been spied and will be announced on April 30.

Price and terms

How much will Tesla charge for its system? Here, we have a possible clue. We can see how much SolarCity charged for the prototypes! As it is, CleanTechnica actually has data on this:

He could (hypothetically) get a 10-kWh Tesla battery (to power the refrigerator, lights, etc. in a power outage) under a 10-year lease for a $1500 upfront cost + $15/month. That amounts to $3300 over 10 years.

So there you have it. There was a 10-year leasing plan costing $1,500 upfront + $15/month. This roughly translates to $3,000 on a cash basis using a 3.5% discount rate. Therefore, my best guess would be a $3,000 price (along with a repeat of the 10-year leasing plan).

It might also be somewhat above that if Tesla wants to make any money, of course. I say this because at $250 per kWh of capacity, the battery module alone would eat up 83.3% of the sales price, before any other costs (tooling, R&D, etc).

So $3,000 is the base case, with a price between $3,000 and $5,000 or so being possible.

That seems too cheap to me. If correct, and they are that cheap, in a few years when the cost of solar panels have reached afordability, getting a combo of solar panels and a Tesla battery will be an awesome option for the middle class.

Just think, an average joe could have an affordable electric vehicle like a Leaf powered primary by the sun while also supplying much of his home energy needs by the sun.

My understanding is, if you take away all subsidies and tax incentives so its an even playing field, solar energy is about the same cost as fossil fuels for producing electricity. Solar currently provides about .3% of the electricity in the nation. With the cost of solar panels dropping fast, that .3 number is going to be rising quick.[/quote]

It turns out the numbers Max dug up were right on the money (NPI). The battery pack is only $3,500. The costs of solar panels is falling fast while the efficiency is also improving…

Maybe this is bringing out the dreamer in me but I think we’re on the verge of an energy revolution. A world powered by the sun! Last night Elon explained it is possible.

Maybe I need to reconsider all the COP CVX VNR and RIG I’ve recently purchased.

Last night, Elon Musk unveiled the Tesla Powerwall, his home and industrial battery packs.

Control Model S from an Apple Watch

Haven’t read it yet but I’m sure it will be interesting

[quote]on edge wrote:
Haven’t read it yet but I’m sure it will be interesting

It was. Thanks for the link.

Tesla announces “Ludicrous Mode”, a new tweak that will launch the Model S from 0-60mph in 2.8 seconds. Ludicrous Mode will launch the Model X SUV from 0-60mph in a projected 3.3 seconds.

I read recently they had an update in some power control hardware that was bumping the sedan to something absurd like 730 HP. And I think they said it makes it the most powerful American production car ever.

Sorry, the new updates get the P85D to 762 HP…

http://blog.caranddriver.com/tesla-loses-its-freaking-mind-introduces-762-hp-model-s-ludicrous-mode-new-base-model/

[quote]on edge wrote:
I know I could easily lose the $8,700 I put into buying the stock but I think the upside potential of a million or more over the next 20 years is worth it.
[/quote]

I’ll stick with my passive investment strategy. But, thanks for the heads up. :wink:

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
I know I could easily lose the $8,700 I put into buying the stock but I think the upside potential of a million or more over the next 20 years is worth it.
[/quote]

I’ll stick with my passive investment strategy. But, thanks for the heads up. ;)[/quote]

Two years has past since I posted that. $8,700 now worth nearly 27 grand. Eighteen years to go.

Ticket Avoidance Mode.