Tesla Motors

Apple Gears Up to Challenge Tesla in Electric Cars

There’s been talk of Apple trying to purchase Tesla. I’m wondering if they’re developing this product to try and depress Tesla stock price so they can make a bid.

With the stock at $200, Tesla’s market cap is approximately $25B. As a benchmark, the original iphone cost $150MM to develop so let’s say Apple is ready to commit twice that much to the first stages of developing a car. They let the story leak, they let reporters snap some “spy” pics of a test mule, and suddenly Tesla’s stock price is off another %20. In other words, a $300MM investment by Apple could have the effect of knocking $5B off Tesla’s stock price. That’s a nice investment, especially from a company with a market cap of $700B and another $178B in cash (albeit overseas)

See: Amazon and Diapers.com
Jeff Bezos Amazon Book Excerpt - Jason Del Rey - Commerce - AllThingsD

A bit more indepth article: Amazon book: How Jeff Bezos went thermonuclear on Diapers.com

Even more indepth: Bloomberg - Are you a robot?

Not sure if already posted

Provocative article Doc.

[quote]doogie wrote:

Not sure if already posted[/quote]

Excellent article and a great reminder that you can love the story, you can love the founder, but the stock may be a dog for years to come.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
I’m out. Now I’ve got some serious cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Max, I think the potential for serious revenue from home battery packs is probably 10-20 years out. I do agree though the giga-factory for batteries will be the next catalyst, but to supply the 35k dollar, mass market gen 3 car. That is, the successful execution of the giga-factory. That will make or break them.[/quote]

Good call. Technicals are looking very bearish.

Not sure if you’re into biotech much, but I’ve been following MNKD for a few years and sales just started. I’m expecting huge returns on this(TSLA like returns). Lots of info here if you want to do some DD: http://mnkd.proboards.com/[/quote]

I thought for sure you were messing with me and that would be a company developing vaccines. Would have been funny.

Speaking of technicals, I don’t really see anything to work with on this stock. Since it makes sudden large jumps, both ways, and then returns to the previous price, I think it would be interesting to try keeping a standing short order in at 20% above the current price and a standing buy order in 20% below the price. Readjust weekly or every few days. I’m not tenacious enough to try something like that but it would be interesting to try.

How is Schweitzer doing? Mount Spokane is struggling to stay open and they probably should just throw in the towel.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
I’m out. Now I’ve got some serious cash burning a hole in my pocket.

Max, I think the potential for serious revenue from home battery packs is probably 10-20 years out. I do agree though the giga-factory for batteries will be the next catalyst, but to supply the 35k dollar, mass market gen 3 car. That is, the successful execution of the giga-factory. That will make or break them.[/quote]

Good call. Technicals are looking very bearish.

Not sure if you’re into biotech much, but I’ve been following MNKD for a few years and sales just started. I’m expecting huge returns on this(TSLA like returns). Lots of info here if you want to do some DD: http://mnkd.proboards.com/[/quote]

I thought for sure you were messing with me and that would be a company developing vaccines. Would have been funny.

Speaking of technicals, I don’t really see anything to work with on this stock. Since it makes sudden large jumps, both ways, and then returns to the previous price, I think it would be interesting to try keeping a standing short order in at 20% above the current price and a standing buy order in 20% below the price. Readjust weekly or every few days. I’m not tenacious enough to try something like that but it would be interesting to try.

How is Schweitzer doing? Mount Spokane is struggling to stay open and they probably should just throw in the towel.[/quote]

I heard Mt. Spokane just closed. I was up at Schweitzer all weekend. It was great, but very heavy. If we don’t get snow in the next two weeks, I think the season is over.

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
I heard Mt. Spokane just closed. I was up at Schweitzer all weekend. It was great, but very heavy. If we don’t get snow in the next two weeks, I think the season is over. [/quote]

How you feeling about MNKD right now? I know it just dropped when Goldmann said to get out but it seems they didn’t have any factual reasons to advise that. Right now it.s at $5.30- I’m considering making a buy right now…

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:

[quote]Ripsaw3689 wrote:
I heard Mt. Spokane just closed. I was up at Schweitzer all weekend. It was great, but very heavy. If we don’t get snow in the next two weeks, I think the season is over. [/quote]

How you feeling about MNKD right now? I know it just dropped when Goldmann said to get out but it seems they didn’t have any factual reasons to advise that. Right now it.s at $5.30- I’m considering making a buy right now…[/quote]

I’m still very bullish. With short interest this big, they are using everything they can to attack the pps. This was RIGHT after MNKD came out with their 10K, which answered a lot of questions that people had. Really, SNY and MNKD are right on track with Afrezza and Toujeo. SNY even said they won’t even begin advertising until Q2.

In my opinion(which may be worthless), I’m expecting massive profits 3-5 years down the road, but it won’t be pretty. I actually added more to my 401k position today.

EDIT: With regard to Goldman Sachs and very large short interest, Google Volkswagen short Squeeze Goldman Sachs.

I took a nibble back in today. I just bought 15 shares at 184.X.

I’ve been looking at the two year chart lately and what I see looks like two years into a 3 year head and shoulders pattern that would take the stock down into the 120-150 range by summer or fall. In that range is where I plan to buy back in heavy. We’ll see how this plan comes together.

Great analysis, OE. I was wondering when you might get back in.

The neckline at $180 goes back to May of last year. I see that level around $120 you’re looking at, but an old time chartist would say that piercing this neckline would send us $100 lower. The neckline to the head was $100 ($180 to $280). And sure enough, look at the way the volume spiked in May of 2013 around $80.

I do like your idea of buying against the resistance at $120 and would continue to watch both price and volume.

I havent kept up with this thread, or really what’s going on with Tesla; however i am genuinely interested in electric cars.

Do they have an affordable option?

what’s the cheapest option for getting an electric car? (that looks like a normal car)

I love the idea of not giving a fuck for a daily driver. As a car guy, i find myself always stressed about keeping everything mint on my S4 and it just gets old to deal with everyday. I also lost any appreciation for the car by driving it everyday and it wasnt special to me anymore. Drive a soulless electric car for when you need to do things, and keep something fast/nice for when you can enjoy driving it.

[quote]Aggv wrote:
I havent kept up with this thread, or really what’s going on with Tesla; however i am genuinely interested in electric cars.

what’s the cheapest option for getting an electric car? (that looks like a normal car)
[/quote]

Tesla doesn’t have an affordable option yet; it’s some years down the road.

The best deal I saw last summer was a Nissan Leaf electric lease for $199/mo. At the time, gas was $4.25. Even with gas at $3.00, if your current car gets 20mpg and you travel 1,300 miles a month, you can essentially lease a new Leaf for what you used to pay for gas a month. That’s a pretty attractive deal.

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
That’s a pretty attractive deal.[/quote]

cant exactly say the same about the car.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]Dr. Pangloss wrote:
That’s a pretty attractive deal.[/quote]

cant exactly say the same about the car. [/quote]

lol, no. And that’s it’s most attractive angle.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

I love the idea of not giving a fuck for a daily driver. As a car guy, i find myself always stressed about keeping everything mint on my S4 and it just gets old to deal with everyday. I also lost any appreciation for the car by driving it everyday and it wasnt special to me anymore. Drive a soulless electric car for when you need to do things, and keep something fast/nice for when you can enjoy driving it. [/quote]

Quick update…

Tesla is set to release their Model X SUV sometime this year, although delivery won’t happen until mid-2016. The Model S has gotten some upgrades, including autopilot and range assurance (a software update that most efficiently maps out your route with Superchargers in mind, so you don’t run out of juice.)

A battery factory is being built in Reno, which is expected to drive down the battery price by roughly 30%.

The smaller version of the Tesla Model S, called Model E, is expected to be released in 2017 at a price around $35k.

Other semi-related news, Elon Musk’s supersonic train has been approved for intial construction of a 5-mile test track in Central California beginning in 2016. The train will travel up to 800mph, going from LA to San Fran in 35 minutes. It will run on solar power.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Model X SUV sometime this year

Other semi-related news, Elon Musk’s supersonic train has been approved for intial construction of a 5-mile test track in Central California beginning in 2016. The train will travel up to 800mph, going from LA to San Fran in 35 minutes. It will run on solar power.

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/quay-valley-solar-powered-self-sustaining-hyperloop-connected-city-future-1489641[/quote]

Would LOVE an all electric suv with crazy low range, and independently controlled 4 wheel drive. Make it look like a range rover classic then.

I doubt the peoples republic of california will allow a supersonic train in their state, or really any state for that matter.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/quay-valley-solar-powered-self-sustaining-hyperloop-connected-city-future-1489641[/quote]

Would LOVE an all electric suv with crazy low range, and independently controlled 4 wheel drive. Make it look like a range rover classic then.

I doubt the peoples republic of california will allow a supersonic train in their state, or really any state for that matter.
[/quote]

Model X SUV spotted in Palo Alto.

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[/quote]

The train’s top speed is 760 miles per hour, 8 MPH shy of the speed of sound at sea level.

[quote]Varqanir wrote:

[quote]Aggv wrote:

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[/quote]

The train’s top speed is 760 miles per hour, 8 MPH shy of the speed of sound at sea level.
[/quote]

Which if you think about it is still pretty incredible. It means that you could fire a rifle chambered in .300 Whisper coaxially to the train on a straightaway at just under top speed, and the people inside could actually observe the bullet in flight, racing them, until the train overtook the bullet, because the bullet would gradually lose velocity while the velocity of the train would remain constant.

Now there’s a train that lives up to the moniker “bullet train”.