Tesla Barred From North Carolina??????

[quote]drunkpig wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:
I’m not really into regulation from the govt entities. They usually just screw things up and drive the cost up of everything they get their hands on. Why do we need a middle man telling me what I can buy and what Tesla can sell?[/quote]

I agree with your position, as it is my opinion that any government regulation is the cause of problems, not the answer. But I seriously question your sincerity.

You say this here, yet in the IRS discussion, you are for as much government regulation as the IRS can mete out when it comes to 501(c) entities.

Try to stay on one side of the fence. It’s easier on the man parts.

Wait. This couldn’t possibly have anything to do with the fact that NC is run by the R’s, could it? No way. Sorry I brought up the obvious.

Did you raise this much of a protest when Chicago was trying to zone Chik-Fil-A out of the city? Call me an idiot, but I’ll bet $20 you didn’t say a word.

[/quote]

I wasn’t aware of the chicken thing.

You should get out more then.

It’s a shame that Tesla had to borrow the DOE money.

Hopefully they do well though from here on out and are able to be self-supporting into the future.

It sounds like they have a great product. Elon Musk is an amazing man.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

Hopefully they do well though from here on out and are able to be self-supporting into the future.

It sounds like they have a great product. Elon Musk is an amazing man. [/quote]

Tesla didn’t have to feed at the government trough. No one forced them to take the DOE losn. It was a calculated business decision.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Sounds like NC just wants Tesla to be regulated by the DMV like all other dealers. What’s wrong with that? [/quote]

I’m not really into regulation from the govt entities. They usually just screw things up and drive the cost up of everything they get their hands on. Why do we need a middle man telling me what I can buy and what Tesla can sell?[/quote]

Well you don’t, but apparently the people of NC are okay with it, which is why their gov has done this. If you live in NC you would vote against the officials responsible for this, move, etc…

Believe me, I’m all for less regulation, but that’s about as likely as the proverbial buck stopping with Obama, so…[/quote]

Is the Tea Party going to get involved here? I know they’re for less taxes and less governmental regulation, so it seems like this sort of issue is right up their alley. This isn’t happening only in NC. There are several other states with similar measures in place. Is the Tea Party going to go after the way these states do business? Or do they just go after the ones with primarily Democratic govts?

[/quote]

I have no idea, I’m not affiliated the the Tea Party.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
Sounds like NC just wants Tesla to be regulated by the DMV like all other dealers. What’s wrong with that? [/quote]

Well you don’t, but apparently the people of NC are okay with it, which is why their gov has done this. If you live in NC you would vote against the officials responsible for this, move, etc…

Believe me, I’m all for less regulation, but that’s about as likely as the proverbial buck stopping with Obama, so…[/quote]

Is the Tea Party going to get involved here? I know they’re for less taxes and less governmental regulation, so it seems like this sort of issue is right up their alley. This isn’t happening only in NC. There are several other states with similar measures in place. Is the Tea Party going to go after the way these states do business? Or do they just go after the ones with primarily Democratic govts?

[/quote]

I have no idea, I’m not affiliated the the Tea Party. [/quote]

I would imagine the Tea Party is busy finding more tokens, oops I mean window dressing, to appease the racists. And after that, they’ll be too busy going to prayer meetings and KKK rallies with Clinton.

If only these congressman were allowed to be aborted, we wouldn’t have to worry about this. But now they are old, and probably have guns so we should get a government agency to target them, because you know, they think differently than I do…

[quote]drunkpig wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

Tesla didn’t have to feed at the government trough. No one forced them to take the DOE losn. It was a calculated business decision.
[/quote]

Who cares whether or not they took the subsidy? In a perfect world, no company would ever need a subsidy to get started. But in 2007 there were these sorts of low-interest loans available to companies that provided products that would reduce dependence on foreign oil and Tesla jumped on board. Unlike virtually all of the other companies to take advantage of this, Tesla is turning a profit. They’re also doing so much sooner than anticipated, thanks to the quality of their product. They received the highest grade Consumer Reports has ever given out to a vehicle before. Their stock is soaring and they’re expected to continue to do excellently well into the future. And all of their profits take into account expenditures on their loan payments.

It’s also not an artificially-priced product, like virtually all of our food from American farmers is.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[/quote]

I have no idea, I’m not affiliated the the Tea Party. [/quote]

I would imagine the Tea Party is busy finding more tokens, oops I mean window dressing, to appease the racists. And after that, they’ll be too busy going to prayer meetings and KKK rallies with Clinton.

If only these congressman were allowed to be aborted, we wouldn’t have to worry about this. But now they are old, and probably have guns so we should get a government agency to target them, because you know, they think differently than I do…[/quote]

Jest all you want. It simply occurred to me, given all this in the news lately about the Tea Party and 501 (c)4 groups established for “social welfare” purposes, that this sort of issue is PERFECT for what the Tea Party ostensibly stands for. It’s an issue that is right up their alley and not really a partisan one at all.

I’d love to see the Tea Party get behind this issue. I’ve been reading a lot about Tesla lately and I am convinced that this is the next great product from American automobile manufacturers. Their only real roadblock to quickly jumping into the forefront of the car industry is the fact that their batteries don’t last more than about 300 miles.

That’s another thing I don’t understand. Long-life batteries are something that hasn’t been achieved yet and we’ve basically been using the same sort of crude ones for 100 years now. Sure, they’ve miniaturized and all that, but it seems to me that the ability to store massive amounts of energy for significantly longer time than what is now possible would drastically reduce our dependence on foreign oil. Why doesn’t the govt spend money on this? Why is it putting billions of dollars into developing technology that makes it easier to kill people instead of developing technology like electric car batteries that will last thousands of miles? Perhaps that’s another “social welfare” issue the Tea Party could head up.

After all, the less dependent we become on foreign oil, the more readily available superior products like the Tesla are directly available to consumers and the more successful that an American auto manufacturer becomes, the better it is for all Americans.

DB, what do you mean that food is artificially priced? I don’t mean to derail, I’ve just never heard that before, thanks.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
DB, what do you mean that food is artificially priced? I don’t mean to derail, I’ve just never heard that before, thanks.[/quote]

A lot of stuff that farmers grow is price-controlled in some way. Rice is a perfect example, and its grown in abundance here where I live. Many times, the rice farmers here and elsewhere are paid NOT to grow any rice at all, so that the market does not become saturated with it and drive prices down due to such a large supply.

What really grinds my gears about the whole thing is that there are all of these green requirements in place everywhere, which I am generally in support of, except that rice farmers are the biggest polluters of the waterways that there is. And yet, while people like myself pay about 4500 dollars or so per acre foot of water usage, farmers only have to pay about 5 dollars per acre foot of usage. Our tax dollars are used to support them by paying for their subsidies and incomes in non-growing seasons, half the rice they grow is shipped to places like Vietnam (who probably can’t grow it effectively anymore thanks in part to the damage we did over there during the Vietnam War), the other half is set at an articially-priced level, we ALSO use our taxes to not only provide ways for water to be moved toward them, we also pay a shitload more for our own water so that the state can afford to practically give it away to farmers, and guess who all the most wealthy people in the area that I live in are?

Rice farmers. That’s right. I teach at a high school here and all of the girls in my classes all want to date rice farmers’ sons because they all drive the nicest trucks and so forth. Trucks, by the way, which are probably tax writeoffs for the farmers on top of everything else.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

Jest all you want.[/quote]

You take ball busting very well, and I for one am very appreciative of that.

In a general sense I agree with much of what you are saying, to varying degrees, just to be on record.

But this situation is more likely about state tax revenue than anything else.

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
DB, what do you mean that food is artificially priced? I don’t mean to derail, I’ve just never heard that before, thanks.[/quote]

That Super Bowl commercial with Paul Harvey ranting and raving about farmers made me want to puke. If there isn’t a bigger group of welfare leeches in this country I’m not aware of it.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

That Super Bowl commercial with Paul Harvey ranting and raving about farmers made me want to puke. If there isn’t a bigger group of welfare leeches in this country I’m not aware of it.[/quote]

Given the fact that over half the Farm Bill is ear marked for public assistance programs, I’d say that the government is a bigger group of leeches.

I don’t disagree that farming has been very dependent on government assistance, but they are not the end user of that dependence. If the free market were allowed to function, and government subsidies were removed, The price of bread would skyrocket.

Additionally, given that the farmer is a price taker, and has no means by which to add value to his product, he is a slave to his vendors. The price of seed, equipment and fertilizer has risen at a higher rate than commodity prices have.

I’m not defending the practice of subsidies, and set asides, but it’s been my considerable experience that the farmer doesn’t keep all that much of the government money.

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

That Super Bowl commercial with Paul Harvey ranting and raving about farmers made me want to puke. If there isn’t a bigger group of welfare leeches in this country I’m not aware of it.[/quote]

Totally 100% agree.

Many fields of corn, wheat and alfalfa lay dormant here, because the government pays them more to not farm them…than they could for selling.

Lets not ignore the massive geo-political implications of importing too much of your grown food stuffs.

There are strategic reasons behind keeping this land ready and able to produce.

[quote]UtahLama wrote:

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:

Totally 100% agree.

Many fields of corn, wheat and alfalfa lay dormant here, because the government pays them more to not farm them…than they could for selling.[/quote]

Sorry, Utah, but alfalfa is not covered under the farm program. Neither is grain sorghum.

Are you referring to the CRP program?

[quote]DBCooper wrote:

[quote]dmaddox wrote:
This is crap. Tesla should have every right to sell their cars to whomever they want. The buyer just needs to buy a plane ticket to the plant and then drive the car home. Problem solved.

I saw one in my neck of the woods the other day. It is a pretty car, but nothing really that great. Kind of looks like a Jaguar.[/quote]

They’re pretty fucking fast, though. I think all of the models will do 0-60 under 5.5 seconds, and I think one of the models does it in the high 3’s.[/quote]

Electric Motors put out a lot of torque and HP instantly. This is why they move so fast. Toyota on their hybrid cars use the electric motor to add to horsepower on their high end Lexus vehicles. Not used for more fuel efficiency on those Lexus vehicles.

Thats interesting DB, I do very small scale farming so I dont know much about industrial ag except what I’ve seen in a couple of documentaries. Thanks for the explanation.

[quote]drunkpig wrote:

[quote]tmay11 wrote:

[/quote]

True. I should have wrote - “It’s a shame that Tesla choose to accept the DOE money.”

[quote]USMCpoolee wrote:
Thats interesting DB, I do very small scale farming so I dont know much about industrial ag except what I’ve seen in a couple of documentaries. Thanks for the explanation.[/quote]

Ummm…

I wouldn’t consider DB an expert in farming. He’s a school teacher relying on anecdotal evidence and blaming the US presence in Vietnam 40 years ago on their importation of rice.

All of the water issues DB is referring to are state issues. Farmers have been there before the cities, now the cities are throwing titty fits because the farmers use water to farm.

Any clue how much water an acre foot is? It’s over 325,000 gallons. How much it costs the city folk to buy their water from the water control board, or whatever municipality they get it from is not the farmer’s fault. It’s the governments fault.

I’d like to know how long it takes DB to burn through 325,800 gallons of water.

Whose water is it anyhow? Who did it belong to before the state usurped that ownership because they knew they could rape city folk at the rate of 1.4 cents per gallon?

I specialize in farm and ranch management. Grain prices have not been subsidized in the last few years, due to the devalued dollar creating the highest market prices in recent history. There are still set aside programs, but despite DB’s best efforts to convince you otherwise, the folks driving the fancy pickups are not doing so because of set asides.

The Conservation Reserve Program is a completely different story, though.