T Nation

Terrible Sessions this Week

Basically, I am 5.5 months into working out. (Stats : 5ft9, 164 pounds)

I am terrible at deadlifting, my lower just won’t stay straight without a belt. I tried to do 120kg 1x5 today and could only manage 3 reps (115 1x5 was fine last week although the last rep was a grinder). Basically very shit.

I also got up to 115kg squat , my form was nice and deep in getting to 110kg but in the last few sessions it has deteriorated. I only managed 5,3,3 today. Basically I have decided to take some weight off and build up again.

Bench . same story. Terrible 65kg 5,3,4 on my first attempt at the weight the other day.

I just feel very frrustrated at the moment. Is this just a normal thing to happen or am i just doing everything fucking wrong? (I basically do Rippetoes but with rows added on and some accessory work).

Post videos if you can.

I’m guessing you’ve finally hit your wall and you’re trying to go past it in too big of a hurry. The wall exists for everyone and it’s pure idiocy if you get frustrated and angry at yourself just because your progress has finally slowed down.

If your back cannot stay straight, then chances are the weight is much too heavy for you on the dead-lift, or your form was always bad and now the weight is making it much more apparent. Do your best to keep the weight near your body at the start and the entire pull, and the rounding of the lower back shouldn’t be an issue. Remember also to basically make your hands and arms into iron hooks. Their only purpose is to hold the weight near your body, and to do that you have to tense every muscle in your arm/upper body before the pull. That will prevent the weight from moving away from your body, and thus prevent your back from rounding.

post vids

Is there anything non-training related that has caused you stress?

Move on to a new program, -5/3/1 and ws4sb both pretty bullet proof

[quote]renatus wrote:
I am terrible at deadlifting, my lower just won’t stay straight without a belt. I tried to do 120kg 1x5 today and could only manage 3 reps (115 1x5 was fine last week although the last rep was a grinder).

I also got up to 115kg squat , my form was nice and deep in getting to 110kg but in the last few sessions it has deteriorated.

Bench . same story. Terrible 65kg 5,3,4 on my first attempt at the weight the other day.[/quote]
Just to remind you, back in January your deadlift was (still) 115kg, your squat was 100kg, and you were benching 60kg x 2.

If your strength is progressing this slowly (whether it’s a technique issue or otherwise), it’s time to get on a different program, preferably a routine that addresses your particular weak points while allowing progress where you can find it. Tim Henriques has a bunch of solid strength-focused plans. Whatever Frankensteined Rippetoe program you’re on isn’t doing the trick.

Are you in the habit of failing or grinding out reps often?

5,3,4 reps/set on the bench has me wondering if you’re straining really hard to try and make the reps. Going balls to the wall is okay occasionally, but doing it all the time isn’t the best for progress. Failing a lot is also frustrating and creates psychological barriers to lifting more weight.

Rather than going all out to make the 5 reps on the first set, and having crappy 2nd and 3rd sets, maybe do fewer reps in the first set and keep the number of reps/working set more consistent.

If this is a problem for you, it may also explain your form issues. Lots of grinders = practicing bad form frequently.

I venture a guess and say that you didn’t pattern well, and by this I mean you probably began with poor form, but through sheer tenacity worked your weights up pretty high.

When you are new you will develop rapidly and your numbers can increase relatively fast, but it will catch up and as he said you can hit a wall. This happened to me a handful of years back when doing sumo deadlifts. I must have weighted maybe 155lb and was lousy at conventional but was so stoked I was getting close to a 400 pull that I disregarded how bad my form was and eventually couldnt go any higher and caused unnecessary wear on my lower back in the process, and for me and usually when I see this in others is because people aren’t strong in the abdominals.

What you need to do first is strengthen your abs, that is the prime culprit for poor lower body moves especially if you got comfortable wearing a belt below 300 pounds. Also practice drawing breathe deep and squeezing your midsection against that pressure. If your chest rises then its too shallow. Breathe in like you are sucking through a straw during the eccentric of the squat and before you pull on a deadlift, it should be forceful and nearly audible. Alot of your concentration during heavy moves, especially lower body moves should be focused on your abs because its far more likely your form will be lost there than in the stronger muscles of your hips and legs. Today I find myself prefering conventional pulls after having learned to do them properly. You can look at form in a picture but you have to learn ‘technique’ and sometimes keep learning it in order to make your numbers go up right.

Proper mobility might also be an issue but id wager not as much.