T Nation

Terrible Realization: OCS Weight Loss

Anyone who is either in the military, or just anyone who has ever had a time period where they weren't able to lift can hopefully help me out with this one. I go to OCS next summer, and I'm a little bit worried about the weight that everyone loses while there. It's 6 weeks long, and full of boot runs and humps, so basically lots of muscle burning activity. I was talking to a guy that goes to my gym (not during my workout) about that, and his advice was to put on a little bit of fat before I go, that way I will have some fat to feed my body when it gets to the point of it needing extra fuel.

Whatever needs to be done to prevent myself from coming back from OCS as a skinny little stick like what usually happens to people, I will do it. Any advice would be great.

I just got back from OCS - Marines. Unfortunately, I was NPQ’d from the 10 week program because of foot complications (cellulitis). I made it to week 5, however, and I can say that it isn’t that extreme. They feed you really well–tons of high calorie foods like cake, cookies, etc–so you have the necessary energy to go 20 hrs a day. And in the 6 week program, its so crammed, that you will only have 5-6 total training sessions + humps. I don’t see the need to put on fat at all unless you are 5-6% currently.

me? I lost a little muscle and strength, and put on some fat. However, I stuffed my face with MRE’s the last week whenever I was at medical.

You’re perfect to help me out with some info then, since you just got back. One big thing that I’m wondering is how chow works. Do you get to eat as much food as you can? I know that you’d have a limited time to eat, but if you can scarf down food really fast, would it be possible to absolutely fill yourself up in the time that they give you?

[quote]Mettahl wrote:
You’re perfect to help me out with some info then, since you just got back. One big thing that I’m wondering is how chow works. Do you get to eat as much food as you can? I know that you’d have a limited time to eat, but if you can scarf down food really fast, would it be possible to absolutely fill yourself up in the time that they give you?[/quote]

Yes.

why the fuck would you want to get fat BEFORE you to go OCS?

you’re going to OCS, not freaking ranger school.

listen, it’s a month and a half. it’s not like you’re about to compete in a bodybuilding comp as soon as you get back.

show up able to max the PT test (in the 18year old catagory) do your shit, and when you get back, you can start hitting the weights hard again. might even be a good break for you

in the grand scheme of things, 6 weeks of not being able to hit the iron isn’t anything to worry about.

good luck dude! what did you end up branching? active/guard/reserve?

[quote]Mettahl wrote:
You’re perfect to help me out with some info then, since you just got back. One big thing that I’m wondering is how chow works. Do you get to eat as much food as you can? I know that you’d have a limited time to eat, but if you can scarf down food really fast, would it be possible to absolutely fill yourself up in the time that they give you?[/quote]

This isnt enlisted boot camp. A lot of aspects are much easier, including chow time (according to priors). Anyways, you can absolutely load your tray to the brim and easily finish it all. In fact–you are required too. No food left on the plate was our platoon’s rule. They dont force you to stop eating, but it is generally advised to eat and beat. Or get some verbal abuse. Week 3,4 I started going back for chocolate milk refills. sooo yeah.

[quote]HolyMacaroni wrote:
why the fuck would you want to get fat BEFORE you to go OCS?

you’re going to OCS, not freaking ranger school.

listen, it’s a month and a half. it’s not like you’re about to compete in a bodybuilding comp as soon as you get back.

show up able to max the PT test (in the 18year old catagory) do your shit, and when you get back, you can start hitting the weights hard again. might even be a good break for you

in the grand scheme of things, 6 weeks of not being able to hit the iron isn’t anything to worry about.

good luck dude! what did you end up branching? active/guard/reserve?

[/quote]

Yeah, thanks for the honest advice. I owe the Marines 4 years active and 4 years reserve. I may end up doing all 8 active, who knows.

[quote]THE_CLAMP_DOWN wrote:
I just got back from OCS - Marines. Unfortunately, I was NPQ’d from the 10 week program because of foot complications (cellulitis). I made it to week 5, however, and I can say that it isn’t that extreme. They feed you really well–tons of high calorie foods like cake, cookies, etc–so you have the necessary energy to go 20 hrs a day. And in the 6 week program, its so crammed, that you will only have 5-6 total training sessions + humps. I don’t see the need to put on fat at all unless you are 5-6% currently.

me? I lost a little muscle and strength, and put on some fat. However, I stuffed my face with MRE’s the last week whenever I was at medical.

[/quote]

Are you going to get another shot at OCS?

To the OP OCS is not that hard what most prior enlisted tell me is what makes it hard is if you can’t make your PFT’s your done not like boot. A few of the Marines I used to work out with just finished up TBS a few months ago and they really didn’t lose much there or when they were at OCS.

[quote]Mettahl wrote:
Anyone who is either in the military, or just anyone who has ever had a time period where they weren’t able to lift can hopefully help me out with this one. I go to OCS next summer, and I’m a little bit worried about the weight that everyone loses while there. It’s 6 weeks long, and full of boot runs and humps, so basically lots of muscle burning activity. I was talking to a guy that goes to my gym (not during my workout) about that, and his advice was to put on a little bit of fat before I go, that way I will have some fat to feed my body when it gets to the point of it needing extra fuel.

Whatever needs to be done to prevent myself from coming back from OCS as a skinny little stick like what usually happens to people, I will do it. Any advice would be great.[/quote]

For what it’s worth you need to become myopic-as-hell; focus on becoming a Marine officer first. Everything else is secondary. Losing mass in your legs? Fuck it. Dropping 10lbs in a week? Fuck it. Your entire career (whether it be 4-8-20 years) will be marked by periods of weight loss/gain, up and down the ladder of fitness due to training and operational deployments. You had better be able to look yourself in the mirror and say ‘whatever it takes’ the day you fly for OCS.

In the long run, there will always be the gym- there won’t always be a second opportunity to become an officer.

[quote]DirtyM wrote:

In the long run, there will always be the gym- there won’t always be a second opportunity to become an officer.
[/quote]

/thread

OP:

OCS is not BUD/S, it’s not meant to break people. You won’t do grinder PT. Everyone I know who just graduated from OCS Seniors (my NROTC buddies) didn’t lose any weight. In fact, they said the chow was pretty good. A hint they told me was make everything into a sandwich, as you have something like 5 minutes to eat, and can only use 1 hand. In the field you get MREs and chow is continuous so don’t worry.

If anything, I’d be more concerned with learning fireteam/squad level movements/ your General Orders and all the other shit you’re gonna be tested on.

Remember, every day’s a qual-day. You’re always being tested.

also, don’t think you can fatten/bulk up on MRE’s. a standard MRE has like 1800 calories if you eat EVERYTHING in it.

to many people have the misconception that MRE’s are calorie dense. not true.

OP,what are you branching in the marines?

Mac, you don’t branch until you go to the Basic School, unless you have a flight or law contact. It’s based off performance there.

I’m pretty torn on what I want to do, to be honest. Ever since I was a kid I’ve wanted to be infantry. A couple years ago, though, I decided that I’d be better used in a field that had something to do with my major. I’m getting my degree in Management of Information Systems, so I’d like to do something along the lines of intelligence. Either way I’d enjoy my job, whether it’s working with computer systems, or it’s shooting at shit.

What did you guys do, and how was it?

Edit: In response to what Theriza said, that’s true, but where I’m at now is just trying to figure out what I’m going to put down as my first, second and third choice, and in what order.

I have a flight contract.

[quote]Therizza wrote:
I have a flight contract.[/quote]

you would, you silly flyboy.

OP, information systems and branching signal (not sure what marines call it) actually is a lot cooler than i had previously thought. not to mention has a pretty sweet carryover to the civillian world

[quote]Mettahl wrote:
I’m pretty torn on what I want to do, to be honest. Ever since I was a kid I’ve wanted to be infantry. A couple years ago, though, I decided that I’d be better used in a field that had something to do with my major. I’m getting my degree in Management of Information Systems, so I’d like to do something along the lines of intelligence. Either way I’d enjoy my job, whether it’s working with computer systems, or it’s shooting at shit.

What did you guys do, and how was it?

Edit: In response to what Theriza said, that’s true, but where I’m at now is just trying to figure out what I’m going to put down as my first, second and third choice, and in what order.[/quote]

I’m going for my mechanical engineering degree and when i join the army i plan to become an infantry officer.
The mechanical engineering degree is something to fall back on when i get out of the army (if ever i decide to). I enjoy engineering and everything it entails but ONE of the reasons i am joining the army is because it sounds very “fun”. The action aspect is one of the reasons i am interested in the army. I might have a degree but, again, i am joining because i like the outdoors and the excitement and physical activity of it all. Why limit myself to desk work when i can join infantry and do the stuff which gave me reason to sign up?

You’ll have plenty of opportunities on the civilian job market to exercise your degree but only 1 opportunity to do infantry (or whatever you decide to do).
What you enjoy and what you should do, do go hand in hand. Even if your degree is Management of Information Systems, if infantry is where your heart lies, then go for it.