Terrible Musical Choice at the Gym

We went to the gym this morning. Usually we go at night and the musical choice, while not great for working out to, is manageable. At least ocassionally they’ll play something like Ironman.

Today was absolutely BIZARRE.

We got to work out to Neil Diamond’s Cracklin’ Rose and a song by I don’t even know who that made me burst into laughter in the middle of my dl’s!

“Sky rockets in sight. A little afternoon delight.”

I understand that this town has old people. I applaud them for their desire to improve their health. (However misguided it may be.) I enjoy listening to oldies and easy listening, too. It’s mellow and calming.

But when I’m attempting to be pumped about my workout, can we kick it up a notch w/ the tunes?

Also, I thought gym etiquette dictated that you RERACK YOUR WEIGHTS.

Apparently the PERSONAL TRAINER missed that memo.

I use the gym at school and depending on who is working you will get anything from Hardcore to “Dance Club” music sorry I dont know what its called but you know the type.

My MP3 player is a great help but
if they blast it I end up hearing it over the music I am listening to.

The place I am at for the summer in Minnesota plays 80’s metal which is not bad. I gotta say “Wait” by White Lion does pump me up.

Welcome to the world of commercial gyms.

The other day my gym played “Kiss the Rain.” Remember that one? Yeah, the one so commonly played for middle school slow dances 8 years agoo or so. It’s also fairly common to hear Sarah McLachlan at my gym. Don’t get me wrong, I love Sarah McLachlan, but not when I’m doing 20 rep squats.

Well ok, so I can’t hear much of anything after about rep 12.

And get used to racking other people’s weights. The “trainers” at my gym do the same thing. Just a little extra GPP I guess.

In college this one kid would come into the gym with a portable cd player and play the most awful screamo imagineable. It was so bad, one day I asked him to turn it off before I did heavy set of deadlifts.

[quote]Gothic77 wrote:
We went to the gym this morning. Usually we go at night and the musical choice, while not great for working out to, is manageable. At least ocassionally they’ll play something like Ironman.

Today was absolutely BIZARRE.

We got to work out to Neil Diamond’s Cracklin’ Rose and a song by I don’t even know who that made me burst into laughter in the middle of my dl’s!

“Sky rockets in sight. A little afternoon delight.”

I understand that this town has old people. I applaud them for their desire to improve their health. (However misguided it may be.) I enjoy listening to oldies and easy listening, too. It’s mellow and calming.

But when I’m attempting to be pumped about my workout, can we kick it up a notch w/ the tunes?

Also, I thought gym etiquette dictated that you RERACK YOUR WEIGHTS.

Apparently the PERSONAL TRAINER missed that memo.[/quote]

It was “Afternoon Delight” by the Starland Vocal Band. Gag me now.

Yeah, I was putting other ppl’s stuff away! But a PT? Come on, man!

Bizarre. I made my husband turn off his MP3 player and told him, “If I have to suffer through this, you do, too.” lol!

I remember Kiss the Rain! By some chick named Billie. Love that song! It’s pretty. But yeah, it’s for middle school dances, not a gym!

blink blink

I considered saying something to management, but why? Like they’d do anything.

You know what would be even better? Doing what the gym a half hour away does - different music for different areas!

In the free weights area you will hear metal and rock songs. Neil Diamond would not dare be played in there. And Sky Rockets? Um, no. I doubt that would even be played in the CV room.

sigh Where are the hardcore kick-your-ass gyms?

This is why I lift at home. In high school we had pretty good music, although it drove our coach nuts…in college it was good too…but when I would come home and lift at the commercial gym, I hated it…usually soft rock or some other garbage. Now I listen to whatever I want…either Sirius or my iPod.

[quote]Jersey5150 wrote:

The place I am at for the summer in Minnesota plays 80’s metal which is not bad. I gotta say “Wait” by White Lion does pump me up.

[/quote]

What gym if you don’t mind me asking?

Last Friday I’m I was at World’s and they where playing Sinatra adn big band music, it nearly killed my workout, usually they play top 40 and I can ignore it, but the big bands was just trippy

5:00 a.m. at my gym is filled with retirees who demand 50s and 40s music and carry on loud conversations from their posts on the stairclimbers and treadmills.

Starland Vocal Band. Priceless.
“Thinking of you’s working up an appetite…”

I love my iPod.

[quote]TShaw wrote:
5:00 a.m. at my gym is filled with retirees who demand 50s and 40s music and carry on loud conversations from their posts on the stairclimbers and treadmills.

I love my iPod.[/quote]

that tune’s on the “good will hunting soundtrack” why i don’t know…

About 2 years ago, I joined local gym not long after it opened and it played the WORST music ever…

Try psyching yourself up for a heavy lift when they’re playing that song with the lyrics “WHEN I THINK ABOUT YOU I TOUCH MYSELF” (not sure of the name, but it’s in Austin Powers)…

Luckily neither my brother or I were doing any sets when it started playing and no one got hurt from the ensuing non-stop laughter…

[quote]Swoll wrote:
About 2 years ago, I joined local gym not long after it opened and it played the WORST music ever…

Try psyching yourself up for a heavy lift when they’re playing that song with the lyrics “WHEN I THINK ABOUT YOU I TOUCH MYSELF” (not sure of the name, but it’s in Austin Powers)…

Luckily neither my brother or I were doing any sets when it started playing and no one got hurt from the ensuing non-stop laughter…[/quote]

The DaVynils! (sp?)

GAG. LMAO!

Haha, just one of the many reasons why I am glad I left the gyms long ago.

Yep franchise gyms suck when it comes to music. When on the cardio machines you can see everyones tempo slow down to the music as some slow beat tosh starts playing. There should be music played at a certain number of BPM’s and as someone stated more aggresive/harder music in the free weights. But i don’t give a sh*t as my 40gig Ipod is loaded up and on full blast at all times in the gym :slight_smile: “Sorry what’s that - I CANT HEAR U!!”

[quote]swivel wrote:

I love my iPod.

[/quote]

I think he sings that when he’s at the shrink’s office getting hypnotized.

-J

[quote]JuliusA wrote:
swivel wrote:

I love my iPod.

I think he sings that when he’s at the shrink’s office getting hypnotized.

-J[/quote]

Yeah, the guys in Anchorman sing that shit too, what’s with the revival?? sorry to get off topic. I work out at a german gym, so half the time I have no idea what the hell is playing. IPOD shuffle, size of a pack of gum, 1GB of memory, it’s my savior.

There IS no working out in a commercial gym without headphones. Period.

Thank God for the invention of the I-Pod (Mini)! Whenever I temporarily take them off or stop to change songs or something I hear the EXACT same shitty, T-sapping songs playing on the damn sound system in the gym EVERY day. It’s like they chose 8 unspeakably horrible songs and decided to loop those over and over and over for as long as I’ve been going there (5 and a half years).

I don’t notice the music at all when lifting after the first few minutes. I’m too focused on the workout. It all recedes into the background. For cardio it can be annoying. But I’m not doing much cardio these days-at least less indoors in the gym. Ipods or MP3 players work well, though.