Terminator Salvation Discussion Thread

Going to watch it in about an hour…will let you guys know if it is worthy of the T-Nation.

I thought it was fucking awesome.

Well…I can say that I enjoyed every second of this movie. It keeps you in your seat from beginning to end. Their were certain things they didn’t really explain in the movie. But for those that have seen previous Terminator movies,it’s really not that big of a deal. At least it wasn’t for me.

I am quite surprised that the director of those cheesy Charlie’s Angels did a pretty good job with this movie. James Cameron did good by suggesting Sam Worthington for this movie as well. I think he stole the show. This movie gave the Terminator franchise a much needed makeover.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
Well…I can say that I enjoyed every second of this movie. It keeps you in your seat from beginning to end. Their were certain things they didn’t really explain in the movie. But for those that have seen previous Terminator movies,it’s really not that big of a deal. At least it wasn’t for me.

I am quite surprised that the director of those cheesy Charlie’s Angels did a pretty good job with this movie. James Cameron did good by suggesting Sam Worthington for this movie as well. I think he stole the show. This movie gave the Terminator franchise a much needed makeover.

[/quote]

breathes sigh of relief

Taking my girl to see it tomorrow night. She hasn’t seen any of 'em so I gave her the cliffsnotes of the first two. When she asked about the third I replied “Not important”. We’re gonna watch the first one here in a bit.

There is one part that almost steals the show, and anyone who’s seen it yet knows what it is. It’s VERY cool.

Other than that, it was a decent action movie. I wish it got the ball rolling sooner, but later parts made up for it.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

[/quote]

Well said, I think Big Boss covered it well. Very entertaining and made me forget about T3. Highly recommend this movie, and will make a great add to a Blu-Ray collection.

I intended on going last night at midnight but ended up going tonight.
Granted, I’ve been a fan of all of the movies since I was little, but I thought it was fucking awesome. Much darker and more serious than T3, as it should be.
There are things that could have been done better, as is with most movies, but overall I was very satisfied.

SPOILER ALERT*

I’m not sure how I feel about them killing off Marcus. Aside from being downright illogical (he has the potential to be a VERY important part of the resistance, being able to infiltrate Skynet facilities), he could have been a very interesting character for future movies.
I feel like the movie did a poor job of demonstrating John Connor’s importance in the resistance, especially compared to Marcus’s.

spoiler…

Im willing to let them write a way for Marcus to live…but without his heart do we still relate to him?

[quote]
I’m not sure how I feel about them killing off Marcus. Aside from being downright illogical (he has the potential to be a VERY important part of the resistance, being able to infiltrate Skynet facilities), he could have been a very interesting character for future movies.
I feel like the movie did a poor job of demonstrating John Connor’s importance in the resistance, especially compared to Marcus’s. [/quote]

His ability to infiltrate skynet was removed when he ‘betrayed’ the skynet computer. His only asset now is his near-invulnerability, which, granted is still a pretty damn good thing to have around.

[quote]Malevolence wrote:

I feel like the movie did a poor job of demonstrating John Connor’s importance in the resistance, especially compared to Marcus’s.

His ability to infiltrate skynet was removed when he ‘betrayed’ the skynet computer. His only asset now is his near-invulnerability, which, granted is still a pretty damn good thing to have around.[/quote]

Fucking SPOILER ALERT guys!

Guys, please write “SPOILER” before even quoting someone else who gave away parts of the film, just to be fair to others.

I enjoyed the film and am glad I saw it opening night.

Whoever mentioned the scene in the film that was REALLY worth waiting for? Dead on. I felt the same way and a huge gasp from the audience reaffirmed what a great way it was for the movie to pay homage to past films. That part was just too cool.

I will start with the bad…actually, I will start with…

SPOILER**

I agree with Big Boss for the most part. Personally, having just watched T2 a few days ago, this movie did not do it for me. I felt there was too much action - disproportionate to the plot - and, as a fucking Hollywood trend I abhor - and want to write an open letter to Hollywood for this - they pretty much put the bulk of the good action sequences in the fucking TRAILER so I felt like I had very little to look forward to.

I thought Bale did a decent job as Connor, but the way it was written made it seem like Marcus Wright was a much bigger asset to the Resistance. Also, they should have gone further with the “decoy signal” Skynet plan. The movie just felt a big disjointed. Wright’s character DEFINITELY had more to work with story-wise, but they just didn’t exploit or set him up well for the next movie.

Oh, and another thing I fucking hate (they did this in Wolverine, too): WTF is up with the cheesy Hollywood dialogue? Kyle Reese’s and also any reference to a machine still being man because it has a heart, blah blah…yes, we get it, we get it because IT"S BEEN USED BEFORE, AD NAUSEAM. Cut the philosophical bullshit, Hollywood. Cut it out and quit pissing on a gritty film with sugar plums and rainbows. We get it, humans can “feel,” machines can’t.

I wish Blair Williams had a bigger part and her character was great. Smoking hot, too (native American?).

The graphics were phenomenol. The grittiness of the film was just right and the T-800s were really well done. I was hoping for more gore, personally.

Bale did an amazing job (he really is the perfect actor for this role) but they really should’ve made the story more personal, more from his perspective or something. I just can’t get over how flawlessly this was done in T2 and how far off the mark it was in T4.

And maybe I have Geek Alzheimer’s, but was Cyberdyne supposed to be based in San Francisco? I mean, I love it when a film mentions my (pretty much) hometown, but I don’t recall that detail in earlier films.

I like how Marcus Wright discovers that he’s a machine. That was great.

Between this and Star Trek, Star Trek was still the more enjoyable film for me, due to casting chemistry, pace of the film, everything.

They also messed up - well, didn’t place it right if you ask me - a classic line…

[quote]AngryVader wrote:
Malevolence wrote:

His ability to infiltrate skynet was removed when he ‘betrayed’ the skynet computer. His only asset now is his near-invulnerability, which, granted is still a pretty damn good thing to have around.

Fucking SPOILER ALERT guys![/quote]
I said it! :slight_smile:

I thought it was a few levels above suck. I really would not have missed anything if I stayed up.

Believe it or not, the paper back adaption was a lot better. To me this was the worst of the franchise. I have read every novel of the terminator, seen all the movies and loved the tv show.

This was a movie to have a movie, and no where in the league of T1 or T2.

Spoiler Alert

And what’s up with the CGI Arnold? A little old looking and a little huge, don’t you think?

<<>>

I thought it was a good, but not great movie. When watching the first Terminator as a kid, I tried to imagine the horrors of living in the post-apocalyptic world of SkyNet. I think they did a great job with constructing that. Seeing the evolution of the Terminator models was amazing too…you could see everything from the T-1 to the T-800.

I agree though that John Connor should have played a more integral part. Marcus really stole the show at times. I know the recurring theme of the Terminator is “no fate but what we make” and that the reality of Marcus’ existence could knock John down a few notches. When you would see clips of John in the older movies he was a steely bad-ass who commanded respect from everyone. Maybe he’ll evolve to this role in later films (they are making two more!)

The little girl cracked me up, never a word spoken but always with the right idea at the right time.

As for SkyNet itself, it was too similar looking to Mordor in Lord of the Rings. Giant guardian at the perimeter, towering, central spire, random flames bursting into the air…I almost wonder if the producer was paying tribute to it.

Great nostalgia for the die hards…seeing Schwarzenegger/Kickinger was cool but John turning up the GnR was the best.

Anyway, very glad I saw it. Sure, it wasn’t AS good as I had hoped it would have been, but it was far better than most Hollywood attempts.

P.S. Something I noticed…the part where the humans are being herded in the internment camp (where Reese gets grabbed by that giant arm)…right at the beginning of the scene there was a white window at the top of the complex, almost like the one a factory foreman would use, with four very distinct human figures inside, observing what was happening. They didn’t look to be Terminators. Anyone else see this?

<<>>

^

SPOILERS

Really good observations. I saw the white window as well, could be some foreshadowing for the later movies.

I thought that the camera angles and fighting choreography were great and far from cheesy (unlike some of the dialogue, although Kyle did have that one good quote). I liked the soundtrack too and how Marcus’ past was left at that (no need for details I guess).

Oh and it’s always cool hearing Sam Fisher’s voice in a movie :D.

/END

[quote]MODOK wrote:
I didn’t like it at all. I agree that it was by far the weakest of the franchise. I thought I was watching “Road Warrior” for the first 90 minutes of the movie. It had ONE unbelievable special effect, thats its only saving grace in my book. I do have to mention one thing that me roll my eyes:

SPOILER ALERT*

A freaking heart transplant? In the middle of a MASH unit? And Marcus just happened to be typed for Connor? Maybe I am overly sensitive to it because we do transplants at my hospital, but it seemed very very silly to me. Here we are, living in post-apocalyptic america where they are eating COYOTE and haven’t had a shower in 8 years, but they can do a heart transplant in a tent. Yeah.

It sucks, because now I know that will be the last of the Terminator movies, and it sucks to end it on such a quiff.[/quote]

Bale signed on for 2 sequels.

More spoilers

[quote]MODOK wrote:
I didn’t like it at all. I agree that it was by far the weakest of the franchise. I thought I was watching “Road Warrior” for the first 90 minutes of the movie. It had ONE unbelievable special effect, thats its only saving grace in my book. I do have to mention one thing that me roll my eyes:

SPOILER ALERT*

A freaking heart transplant? In the middle of a MASH unit? And Marcus just happened to be typed for Connor? Maybe I am overly sensitive to it because we do transplants at my hospital, but it seemed very very silly to me. Here we are, living in post-apocalyptic america where they are eating COYOTE and haven’t had a shower in 8 years, but they can do a heart transplant in a tent. Yeah.

It sucks, because now I know that will be the last of the Terminator movies, and it sucks to end it on such a quiff.[/quote]

That’s the part that got you, not the "jumpstart the “Jason Statham Crank”-like superheart with power lines? Yeah it’s all silly, but remember, it’s a movie about a post apocolyptic world where we’re battling robots. Suspending belief is almost necessary.

This movie won’t be the last either. They only knocked out one stronghold of SkyNet. It will adapt through its other bases.

[quote]MODOK wrote:

Bale signed on for 3 movies, so hopefully the next 2 don’t suck quite as bad.