T Nation

Tensor Fascia Lata (TFL) Injury

Has anybody injured this muscle? If so, how was it treated and cured? I am currently seeing a chiropractor for this injury and he is practicing A.R.T. (active release technique)? We have been working on it for about 3 weeks now, and we have made no progress. He says that it may have been caused by squatting for many years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Could be an issue with a psoas that doesn't fire. That's the most common problem with strains of the TFL and rectus femoris.

www.EricCressey.com

Hey Lotto,
There are several things that may lead to TFL injuries. My first place to look is for the presence of an anteriorly rotated innominate on the affected side.

What this will do is position the TFL as a strong hip flexor AND internal rotator. I will agree with E.C.'s comment of the psoas being a major contributor in that an anteriorly rotated innominated would mean the psoas is in a shortened position (meaning development of MTP's and subsequent weakness).

My treatment would include: correction of the pelvic anomaly, release psoas trigger points, check strength of hips in the transverse and frontal planes (with subsequent development of an appropriate strengthening program of the weak muscle groups). Hope this helps,
-Dave

Are you sure you have the diagnosis correct? Go to an Orthopedist or a Physiatrist.

beef