Tennis Workouts

If this were football it would be a no brainer, but does anyone have any workout ideas for how to get in shape/target the muscles for tennis in one regimen?
I was thinking maybe something along the lines of the Olympic Lifts like the Money Exercises Workout since they build up the leg muscles and strengthen the arms.
I’d appreciate any feedback on good workouts or even exercises that isolate muscles used in the sport.

For all those who scoff at weight training for tennis just look at Venus and Serena Williams. Once you have the technique down that muscle can’t hurt.

Once you have the technique down, that muscle can’t hurt.

Sure can’t! Don’t forget about core strength and integrity in your program. Check out Christian Thibaudeau’s, “Abs for Athletes and Babe Hounds.” He has an updated version, too.

Sergius, although I agree w/ your post if you look at tennis as per say the main muscle groups are your legs and and abs/lower back muscle and hip. and maybe some shoulder work when your serving. Yes Venus and Serina Williams are more muscular then most of the tennis pro in the women ciricut but they are limited to their serves (which is a big part of tennis). But, pros like Justine Hennin are moving up the ranks because their teachnique and I think they are working on the tennis game and not being muscle bound the Williams sister which is hurting the sister now. Serina needs knee surgery. And Venus is not at the top of her game any more.

Still they are tough to beat. But, I think the women are catching them.

In Health,

Silas C.

Serg,

I would really emphasize “core training” for the tennis player, as well as many other athletes.

However, rather than your typical crunches and leg lifts, you need to focus on more quality and sport-specific movements. Exercises that use the PhysioBall and core boards would be excellent choices.

Because the “core” is such a significant player in power production and transmission, athletes must be adamant attention to proper development of it.

You also must examine the typical movements of the athlete and realize the primary muscle groups involved. Also, not only the muscle groups, but the particular functions during many of the sport-specific movements. For example, both vertical and horizontal adduction of the arm, as well as vertical abduction of the arm.

Coach Davies has a good tennis program that you may want to look into purchasing. A friend of mine was on it, and it was pretty tough, but it did work well for him.

This is what I like to see. Weight training for tennis. First off what are your goals? Are you a kid who is playing on the USTA or and adult with a 4.0 rating playing at a country club? This makes a huuuuge difference.

Yes, weight training will help (i.e. working the forearmsm, quads, and calves) It is all relative however to your goals. If you are seriously competing and thinking about going pro or will be heading that direction then you should consider something like renegade training. If this is just a Saturday fling with your boss, any lifting will help.

Without knowing your goals it is hard to recommend any program.

Agility drills will help you a bunch. I remember running suicides, ski drills, running stairs, knee highs, jump rope, and countless other drills that help improve your overall game. Everyone is right when they say work your core. Lower back and abs are extremely important. Last time I saw my abs was actually when I was in training for tennis. Oh the memories.

As for the Williams sister’s, they are just biologically gifted. Women like Henine-Hardenne do not play the power game. They are more finesse, control type players. However, they still have very nice legs and core stability. The y do not need to have huge, cut biceps to do well. The William’s sisters are just built that way. Then again, lots of females on the tour do spend time in the gym.

Hope this helps.

-Junior

fitone i think its stupid and out of date to say that the williams sisters are muscle bound. Yes serena needs surgery. What does that have to do with anything? Alot of athletes need surgery. Venus isnt as into anymore from what some people are saying. Shes more interested in designing dresses and shit. You sound like an old baseball coach. Muscle bound? What the hell does that even mean?

Whatever you do, don’t eat more than 125 grams of protein a day while training for tennis.

If you eat anymore then you’ll end up shitting your kidneys out within a few hours.

Chrismcl-At least I didn’t shit my brains out as it seems you have.
I said 150g of protein and lean toward 180g, that is 1.5g per pound of body weight.
So eat all the protein you want and then about twice that amount, that extra weight you feel won’t be muscle, but excess blood build up in your kidneys.

Sergius, you crack me up!

fitone,

You said that shoulder work “may” be important? Good God, man; have you ever watched a tennis match? The internal rotators are the prime movers for practically every shot except the backhand! Lat strength and power are highly correlated with success in serving.

Venus and Serena are not limited to their serves. Both of them easily win matches when their first serve percentages are in the 20-30% range.

I agree with Goldberg; they aren’t nearly muscular enough to become “muscle bound.” In fact, I don’t think that they could if they tried. Serena’s surgery is most likely related to muscular imbalances and weakness/tightness with which they are associated. Venus is only “falling off” because she always gets beaten by her sister. Plus, she has a strain in her abdominal wall.

So, back to the point…work the internal rotators but DO NOT ignore the external rotators (infraspinatus, teres minor, posterior delt) and scapular stabilizers (especially the mid/lower traps). Core strength is key. In addition to the regular arsenal of leg exercises, I’d encourage you to also incorporate plenty of unilateral and wide stance training as well (to avoid adductor strains).

“Chrismcl-At least I didn’t shit my brains out as it seems you have.”

Are you trying to tell me that you put one of those mini-cameras inside my toilet and watch me when I take shits?

“So eat all the protein you want and then about twice that amount, that extra weight you feel won’t be muscle, but excess blood build up in your kidneys.”

So a 5-10 lb gain would mean that I have 5-10 lbs of blood clogged up in my kidneys? Those things would be ripe like tomatoes in September.

“Me? I’m a pimp. I ain’t payin’ for no sex.”

Chrismcl: What does this have to do with tennis?

Absolutely nothing.

“Don’t let me lose you. I’m not trying to confuse you and not let loose with this Uzi and just shoot through your Isuzu.”

Eric, have u played tennis obviously not at a professional or even at a high school or college level the only time inter and external rotators are involved in at all is the Serve and even then its limited. If you haven’t notice even watching tennis the pros swing with their hips and the core muscles are involved. I respect you as highly as more knowlegable people on this forum, but only to see that you don’t know crap about tennis! Tennis involves a lot of hip, abs, lower back, and footwork.

Eric, I have played tennis thourgh out my life high school tennis star all the way up to my college I know a thing or two about tennis. And its not through watching the tube.

Why, is does Serina need surgery on the knee. All that muscle weight will cause a lot more injury on out the court. More stress on the knees.

Usually, tennis players can last in the sport for a long time but because of Serina, and Venus muscle weight I don’t know if they can. Just because they are more prone to injury then the other players.

In Health,

Silas C.

“Real thugs get down on the floor, on the floor…like a pimp! When I hit the club, I’m gonna be with David Banner, a thug-ass nigga with bad table manners.”

I got you chrismcl!

Although, I do agree w/ you that your back is invloved a lot w/ the serve.

Actually, fitone, I was an all-state tennis player in high school. In both 1998 and 1999, I had regular season wins over two separate individual state champions, both of whom went on to D1 careers. I even played some DIII collegiate tennis before I decided college sports weren’t for me. For the past eight summers (including this one), I’ve been the assistant tennis director at a seasonal club. Factor in that I’m a CSCS, and I think my arguments hold water.

That said, to put it bluntly, when it comes to kinesiology and biomechanics, you don’t know your ass from your elbow - literally and figuratively.

“the only time inter and external rotators are involved in at all is the Serve and even then its limited.”

First off, what is an inter rotator?

Second, if you are referring to the internal rotators, I find it hard to believe that one could do anything, let alone play tennis, without the use of the pecs, lats, teres major, subscapularis, or anterior delts.

Third, Charles Poliquin has stated the following: “Lat strength is also very correlated with spiking power; so is external rotator strength.” Additionally, you should note that in relation to bat speed (similar to a forehand), he observes, "Rotational strength is rather insignificant for bat speed. It is correlated to hip and knee extensor, lat and triceps strength. " He must be an idiot, though, right?

Fourth, do you have any concept of the role of the rotator cuff, particularly the external rotators? These four muscles are constantly firing to stabilizing the humeral head in the glenoid fossa whether you’re carrying a suitcase, hitting a serve, or polishing your knob while watching Anna Kournikova play. The muscles of my rotator cuff are firing as I type this post; if you’d like, I can send a few studies your way to prove it. They also contribute to a variety of glenohumeral motions; the shoulder does move when you hit a tennis ball, doesn’t it? Perhaps you’d like to have a sneak peak at the rotator cuff training article that I submitted to TC a few weeks ago? It has worked wonders for a lot of forumites already.

“If you haven’t notice even watching tennis the pros swing with their hips and the core muscles are involved.”

Fifth, I’m not denying that the hips and core are essential to optimal performance on the court. If you had read my first post, you would have seen that.

“I respect you as highly as more knowlegable people on this forum, but only to see that you don’t know crap about tennis!”

You also know me well enough to realize that I don’t call bullshit unless I’m sure of myself. I have better things to do than quarrel on online forums. However, when I see bad advice being doled out that could potentially lead someone in the wrong direction, you can be damn sure that I’ll call you on it.

“Eric, I have played tennis thourgh out my life high school tennis star all the way up to my college I know a thing or two about tennis. And its not through watching the tube.”

Here’s your gold star: *. Play 2 out of 3 sets next time instead of 3 out of 5, and you’ll have plenty of time left over to pick up a kinesiology textbook. Be sure to read it instead of just coloring in it.

“Why, is does Serina need surgery on the knee. All that muscle weight will cause a lot more injury on out the court. More stress on the knees. Usually, tennis players can last in the sport for a long time but because of Serina, and Venus muscle weight I don’t know if they can. Just because they are more prone to injury then the other players.”

Here’s a quote from SerEna’s surgeon, Dr. Rodney Gabriel: "SerEna has suffered from quadriceps tendinitis of her left knee for many years, which has been controlled with medication and physical therapy treatments. She recently developed pain that, although improved with treatment, increased whenever she resumed tennis activities.‘’

If Serena was morbidly obese, your extra weight argument might have some merit. People like Lindsay Davenport (before) and Monica Seles ? both of whom carry excess bodyfat without the musculature to support it ? should be more concerned with this problem. SerEna, on the other hand, is strong enough to support the load (at least from appearance). Her quads may be weak, though. Patellar tendonitis is usually related to overuse, but it can also be caused by muscular imbalances and/or tightness as well as abnormal foot structure.

Unfortunately, fitone, I am going to mercilessly destroy your fantasy football team. Have a nice day.

-EC

EC I am not debating you although, I do feel that it is important to work your internal and exetornal rotaters,in tennis but I don’t think they are the primary movers as you stated in the begining I believe your hips are that create the speed power of the ball. May be I am not articulating myself the correct way as far as grammer goes and so forth.

If you win Fantasy football its because someway u cheat somehow w/ your autopicks. You weren’t even there when we drafted and yet you got Preist Holmes. Oh well :wink:

By the way I am not arguing w/ any more on sports;).

In Health,

Silas C.

Eric Cressey: “Set, Game and Match Win”

Period. :-))