Tendonitis

It there any way to work through tendonitis. I have had it for close to a year now it does not hurt while running only when jumping and days after I squat which is very rare. I box squatted for a while and that seemed to help. But the Coach at my school does not like box squats. I need the power because I run th 55m any help would be appriciated. I Ice down after I run and lift but I still have a lot of pain. I have done a few cycles over last couple of years could this have caused the tendonitis. Any help would be appriciated.

Sure you can work through it, just like you have been doing for the last year. If, however, you want the pain to stop then you have to quit using the effected areas until they heal completely. Ibuprofin and ice can speed this process.

Mike

Not to sound like a broken record, but you need ART if available. I treated a 53 year old triathlete at Hawaii this year that was told to give up running, right. After one treatment he was walking up and down stairs without pain, which he couldn’t do that morning. He finished the Ironman later that week in about 12 hours. The referral # is 719-473-7000. Take care

I second the ART suggestion. I tolerated tendonitis in my knees for 16 years before finally getting off my butt and seeking ART treatment this summer. Voila’, no more tendonitis after about three visits. Why suffer? Wouldn’t your coach want you well also?

i’ve seen some research on curing tendonitis through only doing the eccentric part of the weightlifting movement with the affected joints, so for you that might be negative squats or leg presses or lunges or whatever you can manage. i beleive their was also a t-mag article on using this technique. check the archives.

I’ve recently received PT for tendonitis in my knee and biceps tendonitis in my right shoulder.

Basically, it takes a lot of icing, anti-inflammatories and rest. Once you give it some time to heal, you have to start working the muscles that were somehow neglected or attributed to the pain.

So this meant no bench pressing and no squatting for me for the past few months. Yes, I have atrophied. I feel weak. I feel soft. But the pain is going away, and I’ve learned what I need to do to strengthen those areas. So I should be able to make a quick comeback.

But it does take time. So you can get some rehab or live with the pain and possibly make it worse.

Try ART, Active Released Technique.
I had tendonitis on my forearm a while back and nothing and I mean nothing can fix it until I visited an ART clinic. There are ART clinics all over North America. Look it up in the search engine within t-mag to get the phone numbers and call the head office in Colorado and find out the closest clinic in your area.

You can also search for Active Released Technique in any of the big search engines on the net and read up on it.

Good Luck!!!

Hi TJ. Run, do not walk, to an ART person. As far as active PT or rehab/training therapies go, don’t bother unless you want to have the condition hang around for a long time to come. Work hardening, an agressive philosophical approach to PT, is generally contraindicated for RSIs as you describe them. Non-steroidal anti-inflammatories are generally not effective in controlling the inflamation; aspirin or ibuprofen are more easily tolerated and generally work better. Passive forms of PT can help situationally for symptom management BUT DO NOT ADDRESS THE UNDERLYING CONDITIONS AS ART DOES (underline!).

There was a big study recently done at UCSD med school with several hundred patients in the study pool (sorry I can’t offer a citation as I don’t have the paper handy) to compare standard medical treatments with ART for occupational RSIs of the upper extremity. The difference in outcomes was quite dramatic in favor of ART. Standard treatment did quite poorly by comparison.

I won't go into any of the reasons here why ART works, as much has been published here and in print. If you have any doubts, look up Leahy's papers in the journals and talk to an ART person directly before you get treatment.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, DON'T WORK TRY TO WORK THROUGH THE PAIN. Don't do it. As long as your symptoms are localized and situational, you have an excellent chance for one of those "miracle" recoveries that posters here write about. Trying to keep "training through the pain" will only make your condition worse and more generalized and harder to treat.

Write back and let us know how it goes.

I’m receiving ART treatments for my jumpers knee as well. It doesn’t seem to help, and I don’t know how it would help without rest of my knee.

Since, they are trying to break up adhesions in surrounding muscles, how could that help my patellar when that’s where the damage is. The only thing that can be done is to let it rest and heal.

Please tell me I am wrong, because I don’t want my tendinitis either. I’ve had 4-5 visits already.