Tendonitis cures

Okay, I’ve had it with my tendonitis (both forearms, on and off for a year now). This is pissing me off, so I’m calling on all my T-brethren to help out on two fronts: (1) Please post any and all treatments that have worked for tendonitis that anyone’s tried. I know that there are threads that have addressed this problem, but what I want is input from people who have actually seen some effect from their treatments. (2) Does anyone know of a website that sells DMSO and/or Jack’s Blue Heat overseas? I’ve looked around but couldn’t find anyplace that would ship JBH outside of the US (I live in Japan) and couldn’t find DMSO at all. Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance…

I used the info in Peter Blanchonette’s t-mag article ‘Eccentric Excercise,a cure for tendonitis’ to successfully treat a very persistent case of elbow tendonitis. I had tried everything for it and nothing was making any difference, which pissed me off to no end. Within a week of doing eccentric pushdowns, it felt better.

I recommend that you stop doing any type of triceps extensions for a while. Wait until you’re completely pain-free, then wait a few more weeks, and then gradually get back into extensions. Try to include incline some dumbbell flared elbow extensions… these will strengthen your elbows.

While your healing, train triceps with JM presses and close-grip presses. (You can read about JM presses and dumbbell flared elbow extensions in Dave Tate’s Westside articles on this site). You may also want to modify your bench style (close-grip, normal, incline, etc). I recommend that you ALWAYS pause at the bottom of these movements. Also, keep your elbows tight to your body. I’ve had bad tendonitis in the past (gone now, finally), and have not been bothered by any of these movements. Good luck.

I did the same thing Boombam did for my elbows, the improvement was excellent and immidiate after two years of suffering. Also strenghtening my forearms helped immensely.

Bigeloil is the “flat out” best for tendonitis. It is a horse linament used to reduce swelling in the joints of horses. Over the years I have had physical therapy, rest, ice and heat, cold laser therapy, cortisone shots and anti-inflammatory’s. Bigeloil is THE BEST…hands down. You can buy it at any horse supply store, feed store, etc…cheap.

I recommend that you stop doing any type of triceps extensions for a while. Wait until you’re completely pain-free, then wait a few more weeks, and then gradually get back into extensions. Try to include incline some dumbbell flared elbow extensions… these will strengthen your elbows.

While you’re healing, train triceps with JM presses and close-grip presses. (You can read about JM presses and dumbbell flared elbow extensions in Dave Tate’s Westside articles on this site). You may also want to modify your bench style (close-grip, normal, incline, etc). I recommend that you ALWAYS pause at the bottom of these movements. Also, keep your elbows tight to your body. I’ve had bad tendonitis in the past (gone now, finally), and have not been bothered by any of these movements. Good luck.

I would go the eccentric route. I know that charles staley has had good success with that method. I first learned about it when I went to one of his seminars.
The only thing that worked for me was rest and ice. I didnt know about the eccentrics at the time.

You’re gonna have a tough time finding one in Japan, but if you have any access whatsoever to someone who is certified in ART, please do yourself a huge favor and check it out. I had tendinitis (and a bit of arthritis) in my left knee for over 4 years, taking anti-inflamatories and trying every possible treatment. I had tried massage, every possible combination of glucosamine/chondroitin and fish oils, DMSO, magnets, etc… I finally saw an ART therapist for about 10 weeks of treatment, and the problem is completely cured.

Buy the German inflammation remedy Wobenzym N. Take it as often as you can afford and give it some time. It took about six weeks for it to start working for me but it will work better than anything else in the long haul for tendonitis as well as other things like sinus infections and general overall health. Good luck.

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

I should have been a little more specific in listing the symptoms of my tendonitis I guess. Actually, I almost never do direct Bi or Tri work anymore. My upper arms grow very easily and so I took Poliquin's advice a while back and basically just stopped training them. Worked fine.

So what's the problem? Well, I get pain in my elbows whenever I do almost any kind of pulling/rowing movement - horizontal, vertical, doesn't matter. I have the feeling that it's my anconius that's been zapped, but that's just a guess.

Unfortunately, there are no ART practitioners here in Japan. I did get a couple of treatments from one in Seattle a couple of months back, but they didn't seem to do much good. Maybe I just wasn't back in the States long enough to give it a chance.

Anyway, I will re-read the negative article. Thanks for reminding me of it. And I am going to try to find some of that German stuff on the web. Thanks again for the help. T-friends indeed!

Wobenzym rocks! it really helped me with my forearm pain. Germans know their pharma :slight_smile:

I can’t remember where I read this but if your finger flexors are stronger than your extensors then you can get tendonitis (in the elbow)from and it was suggested that doing finger extension work (with thick elastic bands) could reduce the strength deficit and therefor the elbow problem, this sounds viable in your case considering your getting the pain during exercises that require that you grip things… just some thing to think over!

I had the same problem and the eccentric thing for 2 months and not going too heavy in any movements involving the elbows (I know, pretty much everything) during that time, plus taking a Condroitin/Glucosamine supplement seemed to help a lot. After that I did a heavy training cycle and had no problems. Something else to try would be get one those “changeable” dumbell sets (I don’t know what they’re called) and put a 5 pound plate on only one side then holding it in your hand with your arm at a 90 degree angle do reps of twisting it 90 degrees to the outside and back. My roomate in college was a pitcher (now in the Giants org) and that’s what the trainer had him do hwen his tendonitis would flare up. I personally didn’t try it since I didn’t have the stuff, but it worked for him and I’m sure throwing a fastball is just as stressful on it as lifting heavy.

i had tricep tendonitis about a month ago. Used some eccentrics for the hurting arm and overall just dropped volume on pressing excercises. For me, JMs hurt real bad so i diddnt do em.

Just to let everyone know: I started with the negatives yesterday evening (using one hand to provide resistance to the other); ordered Bigeoil (I think - there was a little problem with the website…) last night and Wobenzym this morning. That shit’s expensive! But then again, if it works it’ll have been worth it.

I appreciate the support from everyone. And if anyone has any more recommendations, let's hear 'em! Thanks again.

Take a couple of grams of bromalain three times a day on an empty stomach and a gram of Boswalia three time a day with meals. Also MSM, glucosamine and curcumin are good anti-inflamatories. I had tendonitis so bad my doctor put my wrist in a splint and said I wouldn’t be able to use my forearm for at least three months - it took a week and my arm is as good new!

Mark R. thank you for your recommendation on substituting JM presses for triceps extensions.
For the first time in months my elbow tendons didn’t hurt or need to be iced after my workout.

Okay, my problem isn’t with triceps and I hate to admit ignorance, but what exactly is a “JM press”? Is there another name for the exercise (if so I might know it under that name)? If not, could someone explain it? Thanks.

BTW, the negatives seem to be having a good effect. I've been doing negative chins, and the pain has decreased significantly. Still not totally gone, but much better!

Wobenzym users, where do you get your supply? I buy from netrition but would like to know if there’s anywhere it can be had for less. Thanks!