Tendon Strength

Hey guys

What do u guys recommend doing to strengthen your tendons?

Thanks alot

Tom

…lifting weights?

yes, lifting weights. I tore a couple near my hamstring during the season, once it fully healed I started light with isolation work, then heavy with isolation work, then light with compound work, to heavy.

If your not just getting over an injury, I suggest training as usual, but make sure your including one or two extra iso lifts for the area your trying to strengthen. and stretch…!

High reps strengthen connective tissue.

any reps strengthen connective tissue…

My question wasnt too specific.

Here is a more specific question.

What is the best way to prepare tendons for heavier lifting and for power movements so injury can be prevented.

Thanks

[quote]deadgame wrote:
any reps strengthen connective tissue…[/quote]

Tendons have limited blood supply and are probably best strengthend thru ultra-high reps.

Higher-rep training is generally recommended (and works for the most part) but the best way (from a performance standpoint) to stimulate connective tissue is ballistic or “jerk” training. Think doing what everyone always told you not to do when starting a deadlift, but on purpose, without moving the weight off the floor, and under control.

I’d only do that if you’re extremely experienced though. You really have to understand how your body’s moving.

-Dan

[quote]TomRocco wrote:
My question wasnt too specific.

Here is a more specific question.

What is the best way to prepare tendons for heavier lifting and for power movements so injury can be prevented.

Thanks[/quote]

You’re better off just approaching the heavy weights and power movements gradually rather than trying to run a ct specific program first.

It will take 10-12 weeks of lifting in a bodybuilding method of 10-15 (rough estimation) repetitions (not to extreme failure) for tendon adaptation at the osseotendinous/musculotendinous junctions to occur. Take this slowly and don’t go too hard (no ego lifting). I have learned from many personal mistakes that it is of the utmost importance to take things slowly. Benefit from my injuries by avoiding potential ones for yourself.

[quote]the MaxX wrote:
It will take 10-12 weeks of lifting in a bodybuilding method of 10-15 (rough estimation) repetitions (not to extreme failure) for tendon adaptation at the osseotendinous/musculotendinous junctions to occur. Take this slowly and don’t go too hard (no ego lifting). I have learned from many personal mistakes that it is of the utmost importance to take things slowly. Benefit from my injuries by avoiding potential ones for yourself.[/quote]

I mistakenly implied that those reps. have to be restricted to those ranges. One may exceed those without possible repercussion. However, it is the jumping in to weight lifting after a long lay off using heavier weights and lower reps that generally gets people in trouble.

Along those lines, training at 90% of a 25 rep max could potentially cause tendon damage in those unaccustomed to that stress due to the stress on the tissues that could potentially cause minute tears (the larger detrimental kinds, not the microscopic adaptation kinds)

Once again, all I am trying to say is that you need to take it easy and try to slowly allow your body to adapt to a new degree of tendon stress.