Tender Shoulder Joints. (Advice on Warmup)

my situation: had a bad ACL tear (evulsion) had surgery yada yada yada put me out of the gym for several months lost quite a bit of weight (25 lbs) and strength.

i have been slowly easing back into the gym over 2 months or so regained the weight quickly and most of my strength is back. I Just started training heavy again and noticed some odd shoulder pain in the back of the shoulder specifically if you bend at a 45 degree angle and form a Y with your arms its in the back of the crease your shoulders make. it’s equal in both shoulders. this started while i was doing BB overhead press and with side raises. the pain is sharp at the top of the raise and just kind of a mild annoyance when relaxed after the exercise. i worked through it but it really threw me off my workout.

I assume this is a lack of proper mobility exercises and warmup?

if so does this look like a decent mobility/warmup routine?

Nick Tumminello’s ytwl (ytpl) shoulder mobility exercise
hip circles
and some of the shoulder/arm/leg movements from the warm up manifesto

then get bodyheat going with some BW squats, jumping jacks etc.

am i missing anything? thanks very much for any help, just want to fix this problem before it gets worse, i’ve already got a knee to worry about!

Shoulder dislocates would be my best recommendation. I do them before every workout and have not had any problems since (had minor aches occasionally before).

ahh thats right i would have forgotten about them! adding in shoulder dislocates, thanks

figure i’ll throw in an update for those who search for the same thing.
shoulder pain is now gone! began doing about 10 min warm up of some interesting movements. most of which can be found here

basically

jumping jacks
dowel stretch
shoulder dislocates
t-roll pushups
scap pushups
lytp circuit
and sometimes face pulls

i just bang all that out in 10 mins before i start and do some PVC rolling (foam for the softies) and i now have a brand new set of shoulders! sure makes me feel a hell of alot better than the directionless stretching i did previously.

hope that helps the next guy

[quote]chris6905 wrote:
figure i’ll throw in an update for those who search for the same thing.
shoulder pain is now gone! began doing about 10 min warm up of some interesting movements. most of which can be found here

basically

jumping jacks
dowel stretch
shoulder dislocates
t-roll pushups
scap pushups
lytp circuit
and sometimes face pulls

i just bang all that out in 10 mins before i start and do some PVC rolling (foam for the softies) and i now have a brand new set of shoulders! sure makes me feel a hell of alot better than the directionless stretching i did previously.

hope that helps the next guy[/quote]

Do you do these every day? Before every workout? Or just before you do any type of pressing?

I’m in the same boat. Was benching strong (in the 300s) up until ACL surgery. Lost 15 lbs and fucked up my shoulder 1st workout back from pushing to much. It’s hurt for over a month.

I don’t think I’ve heard of any of those exercises except facepulls and jumping jacks. Where did you get them from?

I do them before every workout i got them from Nick Tumminello’s website hes got some writeups on mobility (upper body warm up) that are really good with video. it’s really a pain in the ass coming back from an ACL tear and realizing that your body can’t handle the same weight even after a few months isn’t it?

can’t put up links to the website but i sent you a PM, let me know

[quote]chris6905 wrote:
I do them before every workout i got them from Nick Tumminello’s website hes got some writeups on mobility (upper body warm up) that are really good with video. it’s really a pain in the ass coming back from an ACL tear and realizing that your body can’t handle the same weight even after a few months isn’t it?

can’t put up links to the website but i sent you a PM, let me know[/quote]

Thanks man. But I never got your PM. Maybe it got blocked.

Haha. I tried to post it, but I got a message. I couldn’t understand what the issue was.

Sam, just search the dude’s name on google and do a little searching on the website. Seems to have some decent articles…

[quote]coolnatedawg wrote:
Haha. I tried to post it, but I got a message. I couldn’t understand what the issue was.

Sam, just search the dude’s name on google and do a little searching on the website. Seems to have some decent articles…[/quote]

Cool, I’ll dig around some more in there. I was in there for a few earlier but couldn’t find it. I’ll put more effort in when I get home.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

Sam, just search the dude’s name on google and do a little searching on the website. Seems to have some decent articles…[/quote]

Cool, I’ll dig around some more in there. I was in there for a few earlier but couldn’t find it. I’ll put more effort in when I get home.[/quote]

Go to his website->articles->‘Wanna Be Big Articles’ and you will see it under there.

[quote]sam_sneed wrote:

Cool, I’ll dig around some more in there. I was in there for a few earlier but couldn’t find it. I’ll put more effort in when I get home.[/quote]

Go to his website->articles->‘Wanna Be Big Articles’ and you will see it under there.[/quote]

Got it! Thanks alot.