T Nation

Tempurpedic Versus Knock Offs

Hey Guys,

I know in his article: 18 things which changed my life, TC talked about the benefits of the tempurpedic mattress.

My issue is that they have a ton of options on their website of which I can’t really tell what the difference would be except for price. I could solve this by going to my local brookstone and try them out their but the other issue is I am noticing a lot of other, much cheaper knock offs.

What is your experience with the tempurpedic bed and if you own one of the knock offs, how to they measure up?

thanks
Mike

To hell with Tempurpedic. Dude, get Sleep Number. It’s the only bed I can lay on my back on.

As a side question, I think they have mattress toppers/pads/whatever they’re called made of the tempurpedic material…anyone have one and think they’re a good low cost alternative?

[quote]apayne wrote:
As a side question, I think they have mattress toppers/pads/whatever they’re called made of the tempurpedic material…anyone have one and think they’re a good low cost alternative?[/quote]

Yes I have a topper, not sure of the brand. I fricken love it. My bed was like sleeping on pavement, I always woke up sore, now I sleep like a baby(minus the crying and pissing myself).

Also, I turn fairly frequently and the topper really minimizes the motion transmitted through the bed.

Tempur is a bad company. They treat there employees like that are mindless idiots. And everyone is micro managed down to the minute of time spent every single day. I personally hate companies that treat there employees like this.

Now as for there product since I knew someone that worked there they gave me a demo product to try in my home. It sucked. Every morning I would wake up with my shoulder hurting cause I sleep on my side. My back felt shitty as well. I went right back to my old Sealy mattress right away. Just a bunch of hype. Foam without support is not a good way to sleep. Almost like sleeping in a water bed.

I got a king sized 3" topper to put on the queen sized guest room bed. I cut the topper down because the queen pad wasn’t quite big enough and I wanted 100% coverage. That mattress went from torture device to “pick a fight so I can sleep in the guest room” comfortable.

bought a tempurpedic about 4 years ago and i love the thing.

it did take a little while to get used to… i’m a pretty hot sleeper and the foam itself doesn’t breath so well so i’d sweat quite a bit whatever part of me was in contact w/ the mattress. this was easily fixed by getting a shearling matress pad, which they say not to use but it’s been awesome for me. i also ditched the down and went to wool blankets which help the bed breath better.

many guests have slept in my bed and they all say it’s been the most comfortable bed ever.

i’ve gotten a great sleep every night for four years. never wake stiff or sore. it’s also awesome that you can get in and out of bed without whoever’s sleepng next to you even feeling it.

i would buy another one in a second.

[quote]swivel wrote:
bought a tempurpedic about 4 years ago and i love the thing.

it did take a little while to get used to… i’m a pretty hot sleeper and the foam itself doesn’t breath so well so i’d sweat quite a bit whatever part of me was in contact w/ the mattress. this was easily fixed by getting a shearling matress pad, which they say not to use but it’s been awesome for me. i also ditched the down and went to wool blankets which help the bed breath better.

many guests have slept in my bed and they all say it’s been the most comfortable bed ever.

i’ve gotten a great sleep every night for four years. never wake stiff or sore. it’s also awesome that you can get in and out of bed without whoever’s sleepng next to you even feeling it.

i would buy another one in a second.[/quote]

Hi Swivel,

I am really interested at to which model you have. As far as them being hot, I know some of the higher end models have ventilation built in.

Also, what is up with the add on pads? They sound like they are pretty effective but much cheaper.

thanks
Mike

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
swivel wrote:

Also, what is up with the add on pads? They sound like they are pretty effective but much cheaper.

thanks
Mike[/quote]

I bought my King topper from Costco for $70.

Just be sure to let it air out at least 24 hours after opening, they have a chemical stink.

[quote]MikeShank wrote:
Hey Guys,

I know in his article: 18 things which changed my life, TC talked about the benefits of the tempurpedic mattress.

My issue is that they have a ton of options on their website of which I can’t really tell what the difference would be except for price. I could solve this by going to my local brookstone and try them out their but the other issue is I am noticing a lot of other, much cheaper knock offs.

What is your experience with the tempurpedic bed and if you own one of the knock offs, how to they measure up?

thanks
Mike[/quote]

So, you’re contemplating the “Bob-o-pedic”? I’ve been thinking about this myself since they are priced ridiculously lower. It sounds too good to be true, whereas the Tempurpedic quality is well-established. A lot of times you get what you pay for.

To divert this thread somewhat tangentially, what about a Dux bed? I have a colleague who’s Swedish and his whole family has shucked out the $13k for these things, but apparently they last forever. Anyone have one?

DB

[quote]MikeShank wrote:

Hi Swivel,

I am really interested at to which model you have. As far as them being hot, I know some of the higher end models have ventilation built in.

thanks
Mike[/quote]

it’s the classic king size. it does hold heat and get a little warmer as the night goes on but not as much as my girlfriend’s futon. also if you’re a hot sleeper stay away from high thread count sheets.

when i got the thing i admit i had trouble seeing the value cause i just spent 2k and here i’ve got a piece of foam to show for it. but like i said the sleeping has been awesome. i did shop the bob-o-pedics but decided to bite on the tempurpedic because of the established quality like dollarbill said.

quality has proven to be true for the four years i’ve had it. i haven’t flipped it or even turned it and it’s still like new.

one thing that takes a little getting used to is when it’s cold. in the winter i keep a cold bedroom 50-55. when the material is that cold it doesn’t respond as fast so it forms an impression wherever you are until it warms up. it was weird at first but now it’s just normal. besides the mattress is so comfortable i’m never really fidgeting to find the sweet spot.

i tried the pillows but didn’t like them. my brother swears by them so i gave them to him. he has a stearns and foster set up btw.