Tempo Runs

Can someone explain them to me? I’m having trouble finding info.

Runs of up to 75% of max for a given distance. For example, if you run the 100 in 12 seconds, a tempo run for a distance of 100 meters would be no faster than 21 seconds.

tempo runs are for conditioning right? how many reps of this would you do and with what kind of rest periods?

Yeah, conditioning and recovery for off days. You could do them anyway you want. I do them with a walk back recover, so I will run 100 meters, then walk 100 meters, then run 100 meters (run the straightaways, walk the curves on a track).

Or you can do the run, then do a bodyweight movement for 10 or 15 reps, then run. The bodyweight movement is your “rest”. Distance, I personally don’t usually go over 2000 meters total.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

[quote]shadyniner wrote:
Runs of up to 75% of max for a given distance. For example, if you run the 100 in 12 seconds, a tempo run for a distance of 100 meters would be no faster than 21 seconds.[/quote]

hmmm, 75% of 12 seconds would be 16 seconds, not 21.

[quote]vision1 wrote:
shadyniner wrote:
Runs of up to 75% of max for a given distance. For example, if you run the 100 in 12 seconds, a tempo run for a distance of 100 meters would be no faster than 21 seconds.

hmmm, 75% of 12 seconds would be 16 seconds, not 21.[/quote]

Oops, I think my math was 25%. Regardless, I think the point comes through…