Tempo Runs (Charlie Francis)

is any1 familiar with tempo runs and what do you think about it?

im thinking about incoporate it 1 or 2 times a week in off-season training for soccer but ive heard some different opinions about it.
some people say the intensity is far to low for gaining condition and other people swear about it.
can you tell me someting about it?

thanks

I love them. They’re great for conditioning for sprinters. Tempo runs don’t necessarily need to be the 100m@75% repeated or 100+200+100+100. For my athletes, I just have them do skill work while constantly trying to move. Maybe minute on and 30s off, minute @75% and 30s@25%, etc etc.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:
I love them. They’re great for conditioning for sprinters. Tempo runs don’t necessarily need to be the 100m@75% repeated or 100+200+100+100. For my athletes, I just have them do skill work while constantly trying to move. Maybe minute on and 30s off, minute @75% and 30s@25%, etc etc. [/quote]

Hmmm… I understood that tempo training was more of a sustained effort at or near lactate threshold. In other words 20-30 minutes or 2-4 miles at a “comfortably hard” pace where it is possible to say a few words here and there, but not hold a conversation. What you’re describing sounds more like intervals to me.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:
I love them. They’re great for conditioning for sprinters. Tempo runs don’t necessarily need to be the 100m@75% repeated or 100+200+100+100. For my athletes, I just have them do skill work while constantly trying to move. Maybe minute on and 30s off, minute @75% and 30s@25%, etc etc. [/quote]

DjSm28 can you tell me someting more about your setup for tempo runs?
im maybe going to incoporate it for soccer, can you give me some tips on how to make a tempo run session?

thanks bro

It depends on if you’re trying to do extensive or intensive tempo. You referenced Charlie Francis. He did not have his sprinters do tempo work over 75% of their fastest sprint. It was either sprints at 95% and above or jogs at 75% and below, which would be considered extensive tempo.

I’ve seen some coaches like Boo Schexnayder use intensive tempo work, which is great as well. If you can justify what you are doing, then go for it. And what I described would not be considered interval training as you are not working at a high enough intensity.

[quote]S-te-fan10 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

im maybe going to incoporate it for soccer, can you give me some tips on how to make a tempo run session?

thanks bro
[/quote]

It’d be hard since I do not know your whole training program. Direct message me your program and I’ll do what I can.

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

[quote]S-te-fan10 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

thanks bro
[/quote]

It’d be hard since I do not know your whole training program. Direct message me your program and I’ll do what I can. [/quote]

right now im following ws4sb III on monday and friday
monday will be my max effort lower body

on wednesday im doing low volume high intensity medicine ball throws and some low volume high intensity sprints.

on friday i perform my dynamic lower body

my weekends are my off days and i dont have soccer practices or games (off-season)
on tuesday and thursday i perform sometime low intensity high volume ab work

im thinking about performing my temporuns om tuesday and thursday but how do you set up an tempo run training? what principles, how much rest between sprints, how long sprint etc.
i want to incoporate the extensive temporuns <75%

hope you can help me out
thanks bro

[quote]S-te-fan10 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

[quote]S-te-fan10 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

thanks bro
[/quote]

It’d be hard since I do not know your whole training program. Direct message me your program and I’ll do what I can. [/quote]

on wednesday im doing low volume high intensity medicine ball throws and some low volume high intensity sprints.

my weekends are my off days and i dont have soccer practices or games (off-season)

im thinking about performing my temporuns om tuesday and thursday but how do you set up an tempo run training? what principles, how much rest between sprints, how long sprint etc.

hope you can help me out
thanks bro

[/quote]

So when/how often do you practice your football skills?

tweet

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]S-te-fan10 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

[quote]S-te-fan10 wrote:

[quote]DjSm28 wrote:

thanks bro
[/quote]

hope you can help me out
thanks bro

[/quote]

So when/how often do you practice your football skills?

tweet
[/quote]

i practice m skills just when having time. i dont have one specific day of the week. the season is over so we dont have team practice / games.

most of my skill training is done by pick up games and sometimes i go to the field to practice by my own. al the practicing is done with low volume low intensity.