Template for a Beginner to Build a Base?

Holy shit calculating this shit with all the rounding up and down is insanely tedious. How do you do this shit? The smallest increments I have are 1.25kg and 2.5kg.

There you go buddy: http://www.blackironbeast.com

[quote]leviathan85 wrote:
There you go buddy: http://www.blackironbeast.com[/quote]

Thanks dude but they don’t have a 5’s progression template.

You are officially wasting people’s time.

Just do it. All the tools are in front of you. Eat to win and stop obsessing in terms of percentage.

Get the damn book, nothing wrong with having both versions.

It’s called rounding, not rocket surgery.

[quote]JFG wrote:
You are officially wasting people’s time.

Just do it. All the tools are in front of you. Eat to win and stop obsessing in terms of percentage.

Get the damn book, nothing wrong with having both versions.

It’s called rounding, not rocket surgery. [/quote]

The fact most people only have 1.25kg plates as their smallest increments means that with the rounding the cycle progress of5/10lbs lowers massively and offers weird alternating rates of progress. You are really under no obligation to answer if you don’t want to.

[quote]YamatoDamashii92 wrote:
Holy shit calculating this shit with all the rounding up and down is insanely tedious. How do you do this shit? The smallest increments I have are 1.25kg and 2.5kg.[/quote]

It really gets tough when you actually start to lift.

Thanks dude but they don’t have a 5’s progression template.[/quote]

So, then change the reps to 5’s

[quote]Rednose wrote:

Holy shit calculating this shit with all the rounding up and down is insanely tedious. How do you do this shit? The smallest increments I have are 1.25kg and 2.5kg.[/quote]

It really gets tough when you actually start to lift.[/quote]

Ha ha touche. I have just round up or down based on what it is closest to, does not seem to bad now, was just stressing out, maths was never my strong point. Finally got it down.

Overhead press 36kg tm

week 1 - (70%) 25kg x 5 - (80%) 30kg x 5 - (90%) 32.5kg x 5
FSL 5x5 (70%) 25kg

Bench press 56.25kg tm

week 1 - (70%) 40kg x 5 - (80%) 45kg x 5 - (90%) 50kg x 5
FSL 5x5 (70%) 40kg

Squat 58.5kg tm

week 1 - (70%) 40kg x 5 - (80%) 47.5kg x5 - (90%) 52.5kg x 5
FSL 5x5 (70%) 40kg

Deadlift 99kg tm

week 1 - (70%) 70kg x 5 - (80%) 80kg x 5 - (90%) 90kg x 5
FSL 5x5 (70%) 70kg

Looks fine in hindsight, was no reason to stress.

[quote]Rednose wrote:

Thanks dude but they don’t have a 5’s progression template.[/quote]

So, then change the reps to 5’s[/quote]

All the different templates have different weekly percentages. I checked a few and did the math on the calculator and they didn’t add up.
for example one was 28kg and instead of rounding it down to 27.5 it decided to round it up to 30kg.

I am just doing it myself using the google calculator.

Sorry mate, but you didn’t look into the link I gave you. Let me simplify this for you and using your maxes as you stated above (I assumed they were your TM):

Week 1:

• OHP

5x32.5
5x37.5
5x42.5

5x5 32.5

• DL

5x77.5
5x90
5x100

5x5 77.5

• Bench

5x45
5x50
5x57.5

5x5 at 45

• Squat

5x50
5x57.5
5x65

5x5 at 50

Week 2:

• OHP

5x30
5x35
5x40
5x5 at 30

• DL

5x72.5
5x82.5
5x95

5x5 at 72.5

• Bench

5x42.5
5x47.5
5x55

5x5 at 42.5

• Squat

5x47.5
5x52.5
5x60

5x5 at 47.5

Week 3:

• OHP

5x35
5x40
5x45

5x5 at 35

• DL

5x82.5
5x95
5x105

5x5 at 82.5

• Bench

5x47.5
5x55
5x60

5x5 at 47.5

• Squat

5x52.5
5x60
5x67.5

5x5 at 52.5

That’s it. Now go to the gym and in three weeks use blackironbeast.com

I wouldn’t do 5,3,1 if I were you. If you have the means you could hire a trainer and or doctor that has helped people in your situation. If not, I’d do a lot of research in order to find, as you said, a more holistic approach.

5,3,1 is a great system but you had/have a semi-serious condition that needs to be worked with. You’ll get much better results with something more individualized or customized.

[quote]BillyHayes wrote:
I wouldn’t do 5,3,1 if I were you. If you have the means you could hire a trainer and or doctor that has helped people in your situation. If not, I’d do a lot of research in order to find, as you said, a more holistic approach.

5,3,1 is a great system but you had/have a semi-serious condition that needs to be worked with. You’ll get much better results with something more individualized or customized. [/quote]

Hey man thanks for the reply but I don’t think there is any way to personalise exercise for someone with gout. I just need to lose bodyfat and get healthier. Exercise and diet seem pretty holistic, which is why I preferred the idea of 531 than a linear progression program which only focuses on strength.

Aside from the guys telling you to stop obsessing over the minutiae and just lift, ignore the shit talkers. You found you have a health problem, and you are actively doing something about it. Kudos, that makes you smarter than most of the population (at least here in the states).

On a side note, I’ve used 531 for years, and got tired of constantly doing math pretty quick. If you know how to use Excel (or another spreadsheet program), you can pretty easily make a spreadsheet that does it for you, all you have to do is plug in your current TM. I’ve done that myself, and love it. Of course, the percentages rarely line up with a 5 or 0 on the end (standard not metric, or whatever the weight system in America is called. I’m dumb), so I just round up or down to the nearest 5 or 0 myself. Voila. Takes a few minutes when you put it together, and then it’s literally just plug and play. When you are prepping your log book for the gym, you just pull up the program and write down the numbers.

Also, I’m sending you a PM.

I don’t see your problem, really. What I do is I round UP to the next weight that I CAN put on the bar (1.25kg are my smallest increments too). You could also round DOWN. Either way, it will be consistent then.
Except for when your training max is really low such that the weight for two different sets rounds up/down to the same weight. But it doesn’t matter.

And I also forgot to say kudos. Just get started, have realistic expectations, don’t change EVERYTHING overnight, but rather do it one step at a time, and all the best!

[quote]boatguy wrote:
Aside from the guys telling you to stop obsessing over the minutiae and just lift, ignore the shit talkers. You found you have a health problem, and you are actively doing something about it. Kudos, that makes you smarter than most of the population (at least here in the states).

On a side note, I’ve used 531 for years, and got tired of constantly doing math pretty quick. If you know how to use Excel (or another spreadsheet program), you can pretty easily make a spreadsheet that does it for you, all you have to do is plug in your current TM. I’ve done that myself, and love it. Of course, the percentages rarely line up with a 5 or 0 on the end (standard not metric, or whatever the weight system in America is called. I’m dumb), so I just round up or down to the nearest 5 or 0 myself. Voila. Takes a few minutes when you put it together, and then it’s literally just plug and play. When you are prepping your log book for the gym, you just pull up the program and write down the numbers.

Also, I’m sending you a PM.[/quote]

Thanks dude. I ended up just doing the first cycle using a calculator and a notepad. I can’t wait to start now. I appreciate the encouragement.

[quote]Severin wrote:
I don’t see your problem, really. What I do is I round UP to the next weight that I CAN put on the bar (1.25kg are my smallest increments too). You could also round DOWN. Either way, it will be consistent then.
Except for when your training max is really low such that the weight for two different sets rounds up/down to the same weight. But it doesn’t matter.

And I also forgot to say kudos. Just get started, have realistic expectations, don’t change EVERYTHING overnight, but rather do it one step at a time, and all the best! [/quote]

I think that was why I was stessing out. Because my 95% of the first cycle and 95% of second cycle will both be 55kg. But that is because of the 1.25kg plates and the very low TM.

In general:

Stick with 5’s PRO, with FSL of around 25 total reps.
Lift 3 days/week.
Assistance is basic bodyweight stuff (dips, chins, pushups, leg raises, back raises)
Prowler or hill work 3 times/week after lifting.
Easy conditioning (bike) on off days.
Agile 8, 1-2 times a day.

Find eating habits, not diets. Diets always fail. Do things right now.

[quote]boatguy wrote:
On a side note, I’ve used 531 for years, and got tired of constantly doing math pretty quick. If you know how to use Excel (or another spreadsheet program), you can pretty easily make a spreadsheet that does it for you, all you have to do is plug in your current TM. I’ve done that myself, and love it. Of course, the percentages rarely line up with a 5 or 0 on the end (standard not metric, or whatever the weight system in America is called. I’m dumb), so I just round up or down to the nearest 5 or 0 myself. Voila. [/quote]

The Excel equation: =MROUND((VALUE),5) will round your VALUE to 5lb increments, or change this to round to whichever value suits you. This is how I’ve set my spreadsheet up, but for the last few months I’ve just been using blackironbeast since I’ve found out about it. Excellent site, in a very clean format.