T Nation

Temp. Squat Substitute?

I’m having lower back issues, and I’m trying to take it easy so I don’t aggravate anything I already have. Would it be alright to use something like the Cybex plate loaded squat machine in the mean time to still do leg work?

I was going to pair this with bulgarian split squats, along with doing the usual ham curls and calf raises and whatnot. Deadlifts are also temporarily out of the question for obvious reasons.

So yeah, is this machine a safe, decent temporary alternative to squats?

Do front squats hurt ? Hip belt squats are awesome, they take a lot of stress off the back. For hamstrings, GHR and reverse hypers should be the bread and butter of your routine

So I spoke to my doctor again, he says I appear to have a slight bulge at the L4 vertebra, but very slight. I may also have some muscle strain but it appears that overall everything isn’t very bad.

He did, however, recommend not doing any kind of heavy leg work like squats, deadlifts, leg presses, etc, and just advised to do simple exercises like leg extensions, ham curls, etc to keep working the muscle groups until proper healing has occured. I supposed that in the mean time I will just focus a bit harder on my upper body and take things slow downstairs.

When I can’t make it to the gym I usually go to, on leg day I’ll do Split Squats. They hit my legs all over and after 5 strict sets I have trouble walking.

How about single leg unweighted squats or pistols?

Single leg squats are great. I have actually recently moved to single leg movements recently, just for the hell of it.

They kick my ass (literally) and there is little to no stress on the back. It’s also good weak point training. Single leggers will help you identify weaknesses in your leg development, quickly.

You leg training will not miss a beat and you can give your back a proper healing time.

Single leg squats sound good, and with GHRs and ham curls I should be able to at least keep everything else where it is if not make a little progress.

I really appreciate the help everyone.

I think you have it dead on with this one, concentrate more on your upperbody so when you go back to legs y ou can just worry about them.

Does the bike hurt? if not you can do max intensity intervals of stationary bike, for your entire leg. Unless your a real heavy guy this tends to be pretty good.

[quote]Carbon-12 wrote:
So I spoke to my doctor again, he says I appear to have a slight bulge at the L4 vertebra, but very slight. I may also have some muscle strain but it appears that overall everything isn’t very bad.

He did, however, recommend not doing any kind of heavy leg work like squats, deadlifts, leg presses, etc, and just advised to do simple exercises like leg extensions, ham curls, etc to keep working the muscle groups until proper healing has occured. I supposed that in the mean time I will just focus a bit harder on my upper body and take things slow downstairs.
[/quote]