TEMP=BS?!

If the total TUT is the same, then I think for all intents and purposes the work performed is probably equal. However, the training effect might be quite different, depending on which kind of rep one choose.

For example, in Meltdown (103 tempo) the reps are basically positive only, resulting in a lot of lactic acid build-up. Whereas a program with more emphasis on the negative (like 5x5, performed with a 301 tempo) would maybe induce greater strength gains.

With EDT, I think the main thing is to pick a certain tempo and then stick to it all the way through the mesocycle. That way, you’re sure to be getting the same amount of work at the beginning of the cycle as at the end.

If you’re an advanced trainer with a “feel” for how long a given rep takes you, then I don’t think that you have to worry too much about sticking to a particular tempo, as you’ll tend to do this anyway. But I’ve seen people on other programs (like 100s, for example) who start out lifting a light weight with very good form, but then have their form/TUT deteriorate as they progress through their cycle, because the cycle calls for regular increases in weight from workout to workout and they aren’t adapting fast enough to keep up with them. These are the people who are fooling themselves when they think that they’re doing more work than they were at the beginning.