Telling Other People How to Parent

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
TooHuman, if I recall correctly you aren’t a parent, right?

[/quote]

No I’m not, but you know that’s non-sequiter and continue to use the fallacy of an appeal to authority anyway.

You wouldn’t agree that the following arguments are valid right?

“I’m going to bet, that whole sale (like 90%) of people agreeing with you in any of the comments you’re making on this thread are men.”

"Yes, as most women understand what being a woman is like, unlike someone who’s not a woman, so they reserve judgment. "

“I do believe that you need to be a woman to truly understand what it means to woman.”

None of those are valid rational criticisms of an argument about the actions of women and the same applies to parents.[/quote]

No, all of them are in fact rational criticisms… But please, feel free to explain to the class what getting your period is like. Please describe the emotion in detail. [/quote]

See the thing about the scientific method and empiricism is that you can easily gather even qualitative evidence without having to experience it personally.
This is why in science empirical evidence(when available) always supersedes anecdotal evidence and the same can be applied to universalizing ethical principals.
For example here is anecdotal evidence from 21 women:

Here is a meta-analysis on the habitual, psychological, and behavioral experiences of women:
http://universityofsoutherncalifornia.createsend1.com/t/ViewEmail/j/ADD47DFBEA32FEE0[/quote]

So YOU can’t actually describe shit then?

Right… Now run along junior.

[quote]on edge wrote:
Before kids, my wife once had a discussion with my sister in law about our nephews. My wife was telling Sister-in-law just to make one meal for the family and if the kids don’t like it, tuff. My sister in law said she can’t let her kids go to bed hungry and my wife explained it would only happen a time or two and the kids would learn to eat their dinner.

Fast forward to us having our own kids…

My wife cooks a different meal for everyone in the family every night.[/quote]

I did the same shit. lmao. Everyone has the best laid plans until they actually live it.

My boy would have starved to death. So we ended up cooking him something different, until like 9 or so and it was like “you don’t want what we make, here’s a pan, here’s the stove and clean up your dishes too.”

My daughter, on the other hand, will eat eventually.
[/quote]

I’m a supporter of ‘dinner is dinner’. This is particularly true now that they are old enough to cook. If I come home and someone has made dinner for me, I will cheerfully eat it and not critique the selection. When they were younger, we took preferences into account but once it was made, that was it. One dinner for everyone.

Now my husband typically makes dinner. I’m quite happy to eat what someone else has made. Except once he made rice and tomato juice. Theoretically it sounds like it could be okay. Reality though was pretty gross.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]pushharder wrote:
TooHuman, if I recall correctly you aren’t a parent, right?

[/quote]

No I’m not, but you know that’s non-sequiter and continue to use the fallacy of an appeal to authority anyway.

You wouldn’t agree that the following arguments are valid right?

“I’m going to bet, that whole sale (like 90%) of people agreeing with you in any of the comments you’re making on this thread are men.”

"Yes, as most women understand what being a woman is like, unlike someone who’s not a woman, so they reserve judgment. "

“I do believe that you need to be a woman to truly understand what it means to woman.”

None of those are valid rational criticisms of an argument about the actions of women and the same applies to parents.[/quote]

No, all of them are in fact rational criticisms… But please, feel free to explain to the class what getting your period is like. Please describe the emotion in detail. [/quote]

See the thing about the scientific method and empiricism is that you can easily gather even qualitative evidence without having to experience it personally.
This is why in science empirical evidence(when available) always supersedes anecdotal evidence and the same can be applied to universalizing ethical principals.
For example here is anecdotal evidence from 21 women:

Here is a meta-analysis on the habitual, psychological, and behavioral experiences of women:
http://universityofsoutherncalifornia.createsend1.com/t/ViewEmail/j/ADD47DFBEA32FEE0[/quote]

So YOU can’t actually describe shit then?

Right… Now run along junior. [/quote]

Sure can. Getting your period feels is like…
…drinking a two-liter bottle of Mountain Dew and then running a 10K, and then being kicked in the lower abdomen…
…someone stabbing you in the stomach and twisting the knife. Thatâ??s cramps. Plus, your boobs get sore, your muscles ache, you experience nausea and headaches, and are constantly tired. Also, imagine constantly bleeding from your asshole and shoving cotton up it so you donâ??t ruin your pants…
…your emotions are placed on a keyboard, then someone is slamming their hands on the keyboard. All you want to do is sleep and sit on something soft. If you have front cramps, it feels like someone has your abdomen in a vice. If they are back cramps, it feels like someone is kicking you in the tailbone over and over…
…Like a spear running all the way through my lower abdomen. And needing to poop…
…Periods are awful, inconvenient, dirty, uncomfortable, excruciating, exhausting, and you arenâ??t supposed to talk about them, which only makes it worse because you have to live your life pretending you arenâ??t constantly sweating, farting, expelling fluids from your vagina, and in so much pain you can hardly breathe. Iâ??m not exaggerating…
…feeling like a walrus: bloated, fat, shiny-faced, and I want to roll around all day…
…Like someone is grinding my insides into liquid and theyâ??re leaking uncontrollably out of my vagina…
…most of the time, itâ??s annoying, but tolerable. Then about every four months, itâ??s really bad, like someone glued and duct-taped the inner wall of my uterus and then started violently ripping it off. And on top of that, you have diarrhea, and sometimes an upset stomach. Not to mention blood pouring out of your vagina…
…The best way to describe what a period feels like is to use a person as an example. I feel that King Joffrey from Game of Thrones is the most accurateâ?¦

I can go on if you want.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:
Before kids, my wife once had a discussion with my sister in law about our nephews. My wife was telling Sister-in-law just to make one meal for the family and if the kids don’t like it, tuff. My sister in law said she can’t let her kids go to bed hungry and my wife explained it would only happen a time or two and the kids would learn to eat their dinner.

I did the same shit. lmao. Everyone has the best laid plans until they actually live it.

My boy would have starved to death. So we ended up cooking him something different, until like 9 or so and it was like “you don’t want what we make, here’s a pan, here’s the stove and clean up your dishes too.”

[/quote]

I’m a supporter of ‘dinner is dinner’. This is particularly true now that they are old enough to cook. If I come home and someone has made dinner for me, I will cheerfully eat it and not critique the selection. When they were younger, we took preferences into account but once it was made, that was it. One dinner for everyone.

Now my husband typically makes dinner. I’m quite happy to eat what someone else has made. Except once he made rice and tomato juice. Theoretically it sounds like it could be okay. Reality though was pretty gross.
[/quote]

Oh trust me, I’m still sore about cooking him a separate pasta dish. But this kid literally went on hunger strike. It wasn’t a fit, it wasn’t an emotional test of will, it was legit “I hate the taste and can’t physically swallow it.” I did blind taste tests on the kid, and he actually could taste the differences between some insane differences.

When my daughter complains, she’s making a power play, and I let her go to bed hungry, lmao. She eats just fine. The worst is when we don’t have a structured meal and ask her what she wants, then she pretends to not want like it… That shit goes over like a lead balloon and she eats in the end, lol. I don’t care if we’re sitting at the table until bedtime and it’s served for breakfast, lol.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

I can go on if you want.

[/quote]

No, you can’t. You haven’t even begun. You’ve copy pasted and plagiarized other people’s ideas and feelings.

Again, please stop posting. No one wants your input.

I’m in the “mind your own business” camp, unless specifically asked or there is some sort of eminent danger. This thread is good evidence of the vitriol that comes from “discussing” parenting.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

Proverbs 13:24 [/quote]

You agree with this biblical passage Orion? From what I remember,(I may be wrong) you’re no supporter of the initiation of force by the state.

It should be logically consistent that the appeal to authority when initiating force on a child is just as illogical and immoral, right?
[/quote]

I dont care one way or the other but your posts make me want to hit a toddler…

Which is odd, normally, I just want to split the heads of grownups…

With a broadaxe…

[/quote]

Would you care if there was evidence of the origin of state violence in child abuse?

What is driving this kind of visceral reaction from you instead of your usual well thought out counter-argument?[/quote]

Well, because, you come across like a Stefan Molyneux-ish zealot…

I dont know people who beat the shit out of their children and I really dont think that the occasional slap hurts that much.

That is coming from someone who got the shit beaten out of him on the regular…

You paint with a very broad brush you know…

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

I can go on if you want.

[/quote]

No, you can’t. You haven’t even begun. You’ve copy pasted and plagiarized other people’s ideas and feelings.

Again, please stop posting. No one wants your input. [/quote]

I actually cited the source so I didn’t “plagiarize” anything.

Do you believe the only way to know something is to experience it yourself?

That’s quite a steep epistemological hurdle to get over, don’t you think?

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

Oh trust me, I’m still sore about cooking him a separate pasta dish. But this kid literally went on hunger strike. It wasn’t a fit, it wasn’t an emotional test of will, it was legit “I hate the taste and can’t physically swallow it.” I did blind taste tests on the kid, and he actually could taste the differences between some insane differences.

When my daughter complains, she’s making a power play, and I let her go to bed hungry, lmao. She eats just fine. The worst is when we don’t have a structured meal and ask her what she wants, then she pretends to not want like it… That shit goes over like a lead balloon and she eats in the end, lol. I don’t care if we’re sitting at the table until bedtime and it’s served for breakfast, lol. [/quote]

Maybe you were feeding him rice and tomato juice :slight_smile: I never got past the liver my mother made when I was a child and will never cook it.

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]ouroboro_s wrote:

[quote]on edge wrote:

[/quote]

[/quote]

When my daughter complains, she’s making a power play, and I let her go to bed hungry, lmao. She eats just fine. The worst is when we don’t have a structured meal and ask her what she wants, then she pretends to not want like it… That shit goes over like a lead balloon and she eats in the end, lol. I don’t care if we’re sitting at the table until bedtime and it’s served for breakfast, lol. [/quote]

Maybe you were feeding him rice and tomato juice :slight_smile: I never got past the liver my mother made when I was a child and will never cook it.[/quote]

Brussel sprouts…

A woman will never, ever, understand what it is like to be kicked square in the nuts.

A man will never, ever, understand what it is like to get their period.

This isn’t fucking rocket science.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[/quote]

You really just don’t get it, at all.

You may one day, as you seem like a smart kid, but today, you don’t.

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]orion wrote:
Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them.

Proverbs 13:24 [/quote]

You agree with this biblical passage Orion? From what I remember,(I may be wrong) you’re no supporter of the initiation of force by the state.

It should be logically consistent that the appeal to authority when initiating force on a child is just as illogical and immoral, right?
[/quote]

I dont care one way or the other but your posts make me want to hit a toddler…

Which is odd, normally, I just want to split the heads of grownups…

With a broadaxe…

[/quote]

Would you care if there was evidence of the origin of state violence in child abuse?

What is driving this kind of visceral reaction from you instead of your usual well thought out counter-argument?[/quote]

Well, because, you come across like a Stefan Molyneux-ish zealot…

I dont know people who beat the shit out of their children and I really don’t think that the occasional slap hurts that much.

That is coming from someone who got the shit beaten out of him on the regular…

You paint with a very broad brush you know…[/quote]

Hey man, I’m really sorry you experienced that kind of abuse as a kid. I really am and I was in the same boat.

However…

Come on man. You know name-calling isn’t an argument.

Minimizing the almost ubiquitous use of corporal punishment to the “occasional slap” is just ducking the question especially since you know there’s plenty of evidence on what the effects of corporal punishment(and Adverse Childhood Experiences) are in general.

You wouldn’t minimize police violence or other state violence and violence against children is just as ubiquitous.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[/quote]

You may one day, as you seem like a smart kid, but today, you don’t. [/quote]

You didn’t answer the question.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:
A woman will never, ever, understand what it is like to be kicked square in the nuts.

This isn’t fucking rocket science. [/quote]

It’s not rocket science because it’s epistemology.

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

It’s not rocket science because it’s epistemology.[/quote]

A man can’t have knowledge of what a period feels like…

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[/quote]

You didn’t answer the question.[/quote]

I did, and you’re proving my point.

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]usmccds423 wrote:

It’s not rocket science because it’s epistemology.[/quote]

A man can’t have knowledge of what a period feels like…[/quote]
This is only true if sense data is the ONLY form of knowledge.

Do you believe that all information that is acquired through anecdotal and empirical evidence is invalid and is not knowledge?

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[quote]TooHuman wrote:

[/quote]

You didn’t answer the question.[/quote]

I did, and you’re proving my point. [/quote]

It was a “yes” or “no” question and your response contained neither.