T Nation

Telling Obama 'You Lie!'

I guess it’s possible that it was a precalculated move, maybe even at the encouragement of the GOP. In a fit of indignation, he calls Obama a liar, then belatedly apologizes for letting his morals override his propriety.

It does call attention to his position. It will be interesting to see if it ultimately hurts or helps the GOP’s agenda.

I guess it’s possible that it was a precalculated move, maybe even at the encouragement of the GOP. In a fit of indignation, he calls Obama a liar, then belatedly apologizes for letting his morals override his propriety.

It does call attention to his position. It will be interesting to see if it ultimately hurts or helps the GOP’s agenda.

[quote]Rockscar wrote:
Y’all can’t take your own tactics.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2009/09/10/flashback_democrats_boo_bush_at_2005_state_of_the_union.html [/quote]

two wrongs don’t make a _______ (fill in the blank)

shouting at someone who has the floor is out of line, democrat or republican

You poo-poo this, and all the Democrats will end up saying “ok then, what’s good for the goose, is good for the gander.” The next republican President would have his speeches in front of congress drowned out by a chorus of “you liar!” At least Wilson apologized. Perhaps, maybe even he doesn’t want to set that kind of precedent. Stop excusing this because you’re guy isn’t the one making the speech today. He might, in the future. And, you’ll have supported the kind of treatment he’d get.

Edit: I really don’t care that he called Obama a liar. It’s the when, that bothers me. Save it for after the speech.

[quote]Sloth wrote:
You poo-poo this, and all the Democrats will end up saying “ok then, what’s good for the goose, is good for the gander.” The next republican President would have his speeches in front of congress drowned out by a chorus of “you liar!” At least Wilson apologized. Perhaps, maybe even he doesn’t want to set that kind of precedent. Stop excusing this because you’re guy isn’t the one making the speech today. He might, in the future. And, you’ll have supported the kind of treatment he’d get.

Edit: I really don’t care that he called Obama a liar. It’s the when, that bothers me. Save it for after the speech.[/quote]

well said

I agree with Sloth; what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

I felt the same way about supporting Obama’s education speech to children. At least be consistent in your criticism, regardless of whether or not the person is from your political party.

I would support my children hearing a speech from either GWB or Obama. I would disagree with someone calling the President a liar in a speech to Congress, regardless of whether or not the President is a Democrat.

[quote]forlife wrote:
I agree with Sloth; what’s good for the goose is good for the gander.

I felt the same way about supporting Obama’s education speech to children. At least be consistent in your criticism, regardless of whether or not the person is from your political party.

I would support my children hearing a speech from either GWB or Obama. I would disagree with someone calling the President a liar in a speech to Congress, regardless of whether or not the President is a Democrat.[/quote]

What if he is a liar.

Can you call a liar liar?

I call Bush a liar.

And Clinton (both).

Where would you call someone a liar if not when he addresses parliament?

If a Republican president lies I hope someone stands up and calls a spade a spade and if Bush or Obama had been willing to face town halls NOT stacked with people prepared to slobber their nuts they would not have to face it when they address congress.

Besides, courteous and civil discourse has rarely changed a congress mind but right now America seems to have their attention.

Maybe they need to be yelled at?

edit: God I wish someone in Congress would have gone apeshit over the alleged WMDs. Nobody did though.

[quote]forlife wrote:
There’s a time and a place for disagreeing on political issues, and Joe Wilson was out of line. Agree with him or not, his behavior hurt him and his cause, which is why he is now apologizing for it.[/quote]

He shouldn’t apologize; he was right. Never apologize when your right.

Emperor you have no clothes!

Calling him a liar is nothing more then a statement of the obvious. Even his own party realizes he is making shit up…they are the beneficiaries.

Reid called Bush a loser as he was starting a 5 day European visit. Pelosi repeatedly said much worse. Obama has never been very restrained with his language…ask Bill Clinton. Obama had a few choice words for him during the campaign.

If Obama wants respect, he needs to show it.

Right…

Always look closer…

Seems like your "FUCK YEAH! TELL THAT COMMUNIST! Representative was fighting for his political life in his District…and that was BEFORE this incident.

Sounds like “politics as usual”…playing up to his constituents/potential voters in his District.

(Look it up for yourself…)

Mufasa

[quote]Headhunter wrote:

He shouldn’t apologize; he was right. Never apologize when your right.
[/quote]

It’s not about whether what he said was right or wrong, but the time and place.

I’m still waiting for someone to provide facts and proof that the health care bill does in fact cover illegal immigrants. After all,that is why Mr.Wilson called Obama a liar.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I’m still waiting for someone to provide facts and proof that the health care bill does in fact cover illegal immigrants. After all,that is why Mr.Wilson called Obama a liar.[/quote]

The concern seems to be the bill does not require verification of eligibility. Its nice that the bill sets up eligibility requirements, but if no proof is required then it will not stop illegals receiving benefits.

[quote]orion wrote:
ZEB wrote:
He was out of line and should be admonished for his rude remark.

Why?

Because this bad, bad man was not courteous (sic!)enough while speaking the truth?

What are you, imperial France?[/quote]

It’s just a matter of decorum. There are plenty of opportunities to call President Obama a liar this just isn’t one of them.

[quote]ZEB wrote:
orion wrote:
ZEB wrote:
He was out of line and should be admonished for his rude remark.

Why?

Because this bad, bad man was not courteous (sic!)enough while speaking the truth?

What are you, imperial France?

It’s just a matter of decorum. There are plenty of opportunities to call President Obama a liar this just isn’t one of them.

[/quote]

Agreed. Time and place matter to people who get things done.

jnd

This is funny. If Wilson had stood up and shouted “That’s the truth!” or “GO BARRY O!” or “Hooray Mr. President!” it wouldn’t be an issue.

I also think that it’s funny that just about everyone that has something to say about this “bill” has absolutely no fucking clue what’s in “it”. As far as I’m concerned, there is no bill - just a bunch of “we should do this and that” bullshit and stale old talking points. Let’s see an actual plan instead of a bunch of provisions.

And what I think was the funniest, and perhaps most disturbing, part of that video was the look on Pelosi’s face! It actually changed! She must have been fucking PISSED to gather the strength to actually move her facial muscles out of their botox induced coma! I bet her face was sore as hell the next morning! HA!

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:
I’m still waiting for someone to provide facts and proof that the health care bill does in fact cover illegal immigrants. After all,that is why Mr.Wilson called Obama a liar.[/quote]

Boss, this is done in 2 ways.

1. The Heller Amendment was defeated, which would have made it mandatory to for someone who plans on using the government option to actually PROVE their citizenship, rather than just claiming it. So you would actually have to use something like E-Verify or something showing that your name matches the Social Security Number you are providing, instead of any old number. This was bill did not pass in the Ways and Means Committee by 26-15 vote.

http://thelibertyjournal.com/2009/07/23/rejected-heller-amendment-opens-door-to-free-health-care-for-illegals/

1. In the bill, there is a clause which states that if one person in your family qualifies, everyone in the family qualifies. Section 242(a)(2) of the bill suggests that if one member of a family is legally eligibleâ??say an anchor babyâ??every family member will be considered

Now answer me this Boss, if you really intend to keep illegals from getting healthcare, why would you vote down a bill that would check their status? If you are truly sincere about preventing them from getting it.

This is my real beef with approaching the healthcare issue. If you are going to honestly try to fix this shit, then do it right.

People like to ignore this issue, but here in Caifornia it is a serious problem. If you add up the entire cost that illegals cost the system (education, welfare, food stamps, public benefits, and incarceration), you are looking at 12 BILLION dollars IN CALIFORNIA ALONE. We have 12% of the US population, but 33% of the US welfare. People wonder why we are going bankrupt, here you go. This state’s deficit this year is 26 billion, and half of that cost is due to illegals gaming the system. I don’t know about you, but if this is half the problem, I would fix it.

[quote]orion wrote:
What if he is a liar.

Can you call a liar liar?

I call Bush a liar.

And Clinton (both).

Where would you call someone a liar if not when he addresses parliament?

If a Republican president lies I hope someone stands up and calls a spade a spade and if Bush or Obama had been willing to face town halls NOT stacked with people prepared to slobber their nuts they would not have to face it when they address congress.

Besides, courteous and civil discourse has rarely changed a congress mind but right now America seems to have their attention.

Maybe they need to be yelled at?

edit: God I wish someone in Congress would have gone apeshit over the alleged WMDs. Nobody did though. [/quote]

I agree with calling a liar a liar, I just think there is a time and place for it, as others have said. The guy came across as a tool, and rightly so, for his outburst. I would have felt the same if a Democrat shouted about Bush being a liar during one of his addresses to Congress.

[quote]Big_Boss wrote:

In the 46 millions he claims are uninsured, 9.7 of those are illegal aliens. He only gets the bigger number by including illegals. Otherwise he has to say 36 million and weakens the case.

He’s a great prevaricator.

[quote]Headhunter wrote:
Big_Boss wrote:
I’m still waiting for someone to provide facts and proof that the health care bill does in fact cover illegal immigrants. After all,that is why Mr.Wilson called Obama a liar.

In the 46 millions he claims are uninsured, 9.7 of those are illegal aliens. He only gets the bigger number by including illegals. Otherwise he has to say 36 million and weakens the case.

He’s a great prevaricator.

[/quote]

I would be willing to bet that 9.7 figure is on the very low end. According to the NY Time and DHS, it is estimated that 3 million reside in California alone. Is someone going to try to convince me that there are only 6.7 million in the remaining 49 states?