T Nation

Telling How Much You Bench ...

When you tell someone how much you bench … or someone tells you how much they bench, are we talking what we workout with , or what our max is?

So (e.g.) if I bench 200 , and max is 250 then what is my bench?

Just curious, I heard someone say it’s your max, but I always thought the opposite.

[quote]fabmxer wrote:
When you tell someone how much you bench … or someone tells you how much they bench, are we talking what we workout with , or what our max is?

So (e.g.) if I bench 200 , and max is 250 then what is my bench?

Just curious, I heard someone say it’s your max, but I always thought the opposite.[/quote]

triv?i?al ?adjective

1. of very little importance or value; insignificant: ‘Don’t bother me with trivial matters.’

-Cloth

max

there is nothing I hate worse than a kid in my school inflateing his bench and later on saying he has done that bench for a couple reps

me"did you have a spot?

them-yeah

me"so the guy touched the bar?

them-no his hands were about a inch under the bar I dont trust my self teeheehee

me"so you bench 200? thats a pretty round number

them-yeah I could probably do 205 teeheehheee

me"well screw you im still stronger than your imaginay figures!

them-I can do it for about 5 reps tho

tell them your max or tell them the weight and how many reps you can do with it

you have any idea how many times people have told me they deadlift 405-435 and I find out it was with a hex bar?

It is supposed to be a max but so many people lie it is hardly worth discussing.

What’s a bench?

What do I bench?

Not enough.

This answer also applies to squats and deadlifts.

god i hate that question with a passion, i always get some newbie idiot asking whats your bench followed by some stupid ass steriod comment. duh duh duh. if you want to impress me ask what my squat or deadlift is and maybe ill give your question some thought, god forbid there is more than 1 exercise out there.

For me it’s my latest 1 rm pr.

Met an old friend who is 5"5 who said he could bench 180 8 times. Hmm for someone weighing 130 and training 6 monthes I thought it was an ok number. I went training with him and he starts benching 180, his first rep goes 5 inches above his chest and shakingly goes up, and allready on the second rep he asks for a spot. So I put my two fingers on the bar and he can hardly get it up. He stops benching, and tells me I am “not helping”. He gets his friend to come and his friend literally bent over rows the entire bar for 4x8. Luckily this is the only rear delt training they ever do.

Never trust what people say they can bench. Even people who train seriously round it up or say what they could have done one day where they felt great but they didn’t have a spotter or an inflated number from high school.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
What do I bench?

Not enough.

This answer also applies to squats and deadlifts.[/quote]

ditto.

Sometimes I tell them what time and where I work out.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
What do I bench?

Not enough.

Well said!

I personally like guys that tell you they squat 495 or leg press a grand, but their ROM is all of 4".

[quote]n3wb wrote:
you have any idea how many times people have told me they deadlift 405-435 and I find out it was with a hex bar?[/quote]

Sounds good, thanks guys…

And yeah no kidding, mostly everyone rounds off there bench to the nearest hundered.

Dumbbells and barbells.

What do i bench?

A bar with some weights on it.

The other option is to just tell them how much your max bench is and not be a smartass about it.

[quote]Modi wrote:
The other option is to just tell them how much your max bench is and not be a smartass about it.[/quote]

But that’s not very fun.

I dont really 1rm. My latest heavy bench was 385/2. But you know what, I fail to see how it even matters.

People who are gonna walk around asking you what you max should spend more time training and less time worrying about what you do.

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
What do I bench?

Not enough.

second