T Nation

Tell Someone About Incorrect Form?

Ok, so I’m not the biggest guy around and definitely not an expert on lifting. However, while I was in the gym this last week there was a guy who I could tell had to be a newbie. He was doing squats with weight much too heavy for him, and had terrible form. I know it’s generally a bad idea to give advice in the gym if it isn’t asked for. But my question is, when it’s such bad form that can/will eventually lead to injury, should a guy say something?

sometimes i think its best just to keep quiet. Not because you dont care, but because he might be too stuck up to listen. So save yourself the trouble.
Cheers

It would depend how you phrased it i suppose.
Like if you went up and called him a dumbass and told him do it that way, chances are you wouldnt get very far.
Just go up and say
“Sorry but if you would like why not try it another way” and show him, dont give 200 reasons WHY to do it, just outline in 2 sentences or less why.
People are generally open to advice, once its not forced on them or they feel intimidated.
Cheers

just mind your own business. unless you know the guy personally its probably not even worth the effort. he will figure it out

Mind your own business. People have no clue usually about doing some things, don’t waste your time and energy looking out for anyone in the gym, unless someone is being pinned by the bar or something.

Once you are very muscular, I imagine people will come to you asking for advice.

Just work on that for right now.

[quote]jnev wrote:
sometimes i think its best just to keep quiet. Not because you dont care, but because he might be too stuck up to listen. So save yourself the trouble.
Cheers[/quote]

That’s not why, silly. Don’t you know, you’re not supposed to correct adults.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Mind your own business. People have no clue usually about doing some things, don’t waste your time and energy looking out for anyone in the gym, unless someone is being pinned by the bar or something.[/quote]

What a good samaritin you are. It’s a liitle late by then , don’t you think?

[quote]hawki15 wrote:
Ok, so I’m not the biggest guy around and definitely not an expert on lifting.[/quote]

Good, then you should keep it shut.

Did you watch Idiocracy? You gotta let at least some natural selection kill off the really dumb ones. Extra points if you youtube it.

Politely suggest he read up on how to do them, and explain you are still learning as well. If they associate with you, they’ll be more likely to take your advice to heart.

Since you have noticed that his incorrect form may result in injury and you have documented such on this forum, you can be held legally liable for any injury occured due to your negligence of not advising the injured party on the proper form. In the future, you may want to consult an attorney before looking at other lifters form or purchase a large general liability policy

[quote]Razorslim wrote:
Since you have noticed that his incorrect form may result in injury and you have documented such on this forum, you can be held legally liable for any injury occured due to your negligence of not advising the injured party on the proper form. In the future, you may want to consult an attorney before looking at other lifters form or purchase a large general liability policy[/quote]

Hahahahahaha!

That’s funny because it’s probably true.

watch the rest of his workout. Usually by what else he is doing youll tell if hes gonna be a good guy for it or just a schmuck. Today i saw a guy like that, RIDICULOUSLY high squats…retarded weight…i dont say stuff cause ego is key here.