Tell Me If I'm On The Right Track

Week 1

Workout 1
Flies 5x8 (pumping, supersetting)
Bench 5x5

Deadlifts 3x12 (not supersetted, my back is too weak)

Delt Flies 6x6 (Supersetting
Pullups 3xmax

Standard Squats 6x6

3x (max dips + planche on ball)

Workout 2
Flies 4x8 (pumping, supersetting)
Bench 4x8

Delt Flies 4x8 (supersetting
Pullups 4xmax

Standard Squats 4x8

3x (max pushups + planche on ball)

Workout 3
Flies 4x12 (pumping, supersetting)
Bench 4x12

Delt Flies 4x12 (supersetting
Pullups 4xmax

Standard Squats 4x12

3x5 slow planche-style (hands at hip) pushups + handstands

Week 2

Workout 1
Incline Dumbell Press 5x5 (supersetted with)
Flies 5x5

Legpress 5x5 (ss)
Snatches 3x12

Military Press 6x6 (ss)
Seated Row 6x6

Standard Squats 6x6
4x 6 weighted dips
planche on ball

Workout 2
Incline Dumbell Press 4x8 (supersetted with)
Flies 4x8

Legpress 4x8 (ss)
Snatches 3x12

Military Press 4x8 (ss)
Seated Row 4x8

Standard Squats 4x8
3x8 weighted dips
planche on ball

Workout 3
Incline Dumbell Press 4x12 (supersetted with)
Flies 4x12

Legpress 4x12 (ss)
Snatches 3x12

Military Press 4x12 (ss)
Seated Row 4x12

Standard Squats 4x12
3x 12 weighted dips
planche on ball

WS4SB!!!

Definitely not. Why are you doing so many flies? Go simple with a lot of compound movements. Drop your rep range and increase weight as well.

What is your training experience and goals? I saw elsewhere you said you are 17.

My training experience so far has just been cardio and strength gymwork 2 days a week for about a year. This has obviously been totally useless, other than the occasional partytrick of doing one armed chinups - and I have done lots of sprint training.

The last 6 months I have picked up breakdancing and gymnastics on weekends. My goals include wanting to be able to do a planche (and a russian eventually), and to get bigger for self esteem. I dont want to JUst be big, I want to be proportionally strong so that I can do ‘wow’-moves for breakdancing.

I do delt flies because I have relatively strong shoulders, and I thought that it would be good to work with your strengths, and I do my normal flies because I read in an article that it is good to pump your chest up before you do bench if you have problems like using your triceps too much (which is what happens to me). Also I think massive delts looks awsome.

I have had back problems since 4 years ago, and only since taking up breakdancing has the chronic pains gone away - and so have started doing squats aswell as legpress for my running, previously I couldnt do more than 30kg on squats, and then I would be in great pain afterward. For this reason I havent supersetted my deadlifts, because I dont want a repeat injury. Yes I am 17, 5’9" 147lb and do running 3 times a week, break on weekends and just want to have the triangular greek god style body lol.

Edit: NOT like Mr. Triangle from Mr. Men

It sounds like your last year was not actually wasted but you have built a reasonable foundation and have learned how to move your body athletically. There are many facets to fitness and you are well on your way.

Don’t worry about pumps and isolation moves. You don’t need that at this stage.

In order to build strength, you need to work basic movements: Squats, Presses and Pulls with medium reps and progressively heavier weights. Someone earlier mentioned WS4SB. You will make progress faster on a good beginner program. Following is a link to a site based on “Starting Strength” by Marc Rippetoe. This is the best beginner program out there and you will gain strength faster on that program than on any other.

Once you can no longer progress on this program start looking at intermediate programs like WS4SB or Bill Starr 5x5. By definition, you will progress slower on those programs.

For your shoulders, try handstand pushups. Do handstands for time at first and gradually lower your body and press back up, progressing steadily lower.

Take a look at this site: http://www.beastskills.com/
You’ll love it.

Stu

…Did you say Breakdancing???..Did I just enter a time warp?

Oks I read up on things and here is my new and simpler workout with a few more compounds. Yeah beastskills is pretty good. I have a mate who can do most of that stuff. He does gymnastics. Still, fantastic lol.

Monday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Bench - 3x5 (weeks 3/4 swap with dumbells)
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips with weight - 3x8
Delt Flies - 3x8
Handstands
Abs with weight - 3x8

Wednesday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Standing Press - 3x5 (weeks 3/4 swap with dumbells)
Pull from floor (rows 3x5 or cleans 5x3)
Pullups/chins - 3 x 8-15 (3 sets if you do the cleans)
Planch Ball - 3 x time
Abs with weight 3x8

Friday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips - 3x20
Delt Flies - 3x8
Handstands
Abs with weight 3x8

Week 2

Monday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Planch Ball - 3 x time
Abs with weight 3x8

Wednesday - Workout A
Squats - 3x5
Deadlift - 1x5
Dips with weight - 3x8
Delt Flies - 3x8
Handstands
Abs with weight - 3x8

Friday - Workout B
Squats - 3x5
Planch Ball - 3 x time
Abs with weight 3x8

I am rofling already at my squats improvement. From a back injury of 4 years, and I have now gone from 30kg to 90kg squats in 2 months period :). Thanks squats!
AAAAnd yes. I’ll keep you up to date on progress.

Edit: I’m getting shoulder joint problems, pains when I do bench and slightly less pains when I do shoulder flies. Is this normal for a beginner? is there an article that suggests shoulder joint stretches or loosening excercises? Btw I am double jointed in my shoulders, not as in they go right around my body like a skipping rope, but they pop out and down.

Hi forevernade,
Check out the articles called “Shoulder savers” part I and II.
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1053531
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1055409

They are really informative and should help you with your shoulder pain.

How do you work your inner lower peck? I seem to have a gaping hole above my solar plexus, my pecks dont meet so that it makes a _/_ kind of shape. Is this just genetic, or underdevelopment or are there specific excercises you can do to increase your pec|cheast coverage?

Edit: BTW could I have some feedback on my workout program?

It’s probably gnetics. Just worry about performance right now and it may fill out on it’s own. Dips are bets anyway and you’re already doing them.

Your program looks good. You may find the volume heavy after a little while once the weight starts building. Keep the weight going up steadily, no big jumps. That will keep it going longer and you should stall out higher than you would is you make bigger jumps now.

Stu

[quote]forevernade wrote:
Yes I am 17, 5’9" 147lb [/quote]

This is your answer for your inner lower pec. Muscle shape is almost entirely predetermined, but you can do your best to fill in the muscle how God wanted it to look for you. Become 5’9(or grow taller I don’t care haha) 185-205 and your chest will fill in some.