T Nation

Tell Boss Nothing To Do

Okay…I have absolutely nothing to do at my job. I’ve tried finding more work to do, but there’s really nothing that needs to be done in the department I work in. My co-workers also have nothing to do. We all pretend to be busy, but no one’s doing anything. I’m believing my boss has nothing to do also. I seriously have about 4 hours of work every month.

I was just in a meeting where people in other departments were talking about how busy they are.

If you were me, would you tell your boss flat out you have nothing to do ? I’m thinking of requesting that he let me talk to other departments and see if I can help them on a consultative basis. I work for the US Government so this isn’t something we normally do.

No.
Secondly, once you let yourself be used by other departments and your plate starts to fill up with your own work, good luck seperating yourself from the other departments. Either find something to do where you are in your job, or find a new job.

I have been in this situation, and it sucks. When you speak up, you often get handed busywork. Depending on your department, it may be better to try to start your own project or take the initiative on something, rather than asking your boss for work. But this has been my experience in a particular industry, and it may not translate.

Layoffs are coming unless you work for the government.

Not necessarily. Some projects get over-funded, and they need warm bodies to swallow up the money. Usually there are a few critical times per year when they actually need as many people as they have hired, but the rest of the time they could do with half (or less) of the full-time employees.

[quote]sen say wrote:
I work for the US Government so this isn’t something we normally do.

[/quote]

I guess you didn’t read your job description, then.

I’ve decided to devote more time to my writing career while at work.

I’ll swap with you for a few months mate, I’m busy as hell at work.

Seriously though that position does suck. What’s your relationship like with your boss? Can you talk to him off the record and trust him?

If so, go with the helping other departments or work on opening up a project.

Hit an extra set of squats

[quote]sen say wrote:
I’ve decided to devote more time to my writing career while at work.[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea sen. Who’s the new avatar?

Anyhow, 4 hours work a month seriously encroaches on T-Nation posting time.

Depending on the kind of work you could try to convince your boss to let you work out of the office. They might go for it as long as all the work your given is being done and on time. Check out that “4 hour work week” book, you may be able to take advantage of the situation you have.

Instead of saying you have no work to do, ask your manager if he needs any help with anything. This will make you appear helpful and keen.

Personally speaking though, I would just keep my mouth shut and my head down.

I concur, don’t mess things up for your co-workers, you could end up giving them more work too.

You are at a job, where you don’t have to work and can sit on T-Nation, sounds kind of like my state job.

Mouth shut, head down!

Second this motion.

[quote]yasser wrote:

Who’s the new avatar?

Second this motion.[/quote]

From another thread it looks like it’s Buckeye Girl. SHWING!

[quote]Renton wrote:
I’ll swap with you for a few months mate, I’m busy as hell at work.

Seriously though that position does suck. What’s your relationship like with your boss? Can you talk to him off the record and trust him?

If so, go with the helping other departments or work on opening up a project.[/quote]

Always keep an arms length away from management!

I had a job like that for a while, nearly drove me insane and totally destroys your work ethic. I cured it by getting a new job.

Don’t tell your boos squat! If one of my worker bees came and told me they had nothing to do I would have them clean toilets or some other job I’m pretty sure they don’t want to do. Just pretend! Surf T-Nation and every time someone walks by your workstation scream:“GOD DAMN THESE TPS REPORTS!!!”. Maybe the boss will take pity on you for working too hard and give you the day off?

Find an excuse to work from home. Then you can spend your days eating, napping, playing video games, and curing the sausage (wtf?).

[quote]Aleksandr wrote:
Find an excuse to work from home. Then you can spend your days eating, napping, playing video games, and curing the sausage (wtf?).[/quote]

The (wtf?) literally made me laugh out loud.