Teflon Chemical Likely A Carcinogen

Don’t want to highjack, but I started a thread awhile ago about purchasing some stainless steel cookware. I haven’t gotten around to it, so I was wondering if you all had any preferred brands, stories to share, etc. I’m a grad student and can’t spend too much (i.e. can’t afford All-Clad).

Thanks.

I also think DuPont actaully realeased a document confirming the bird deaths from the fumes. Of course, they claim it only happens at high heat (over 500), and if you leave just the pan on the stove with nothing in it.

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
Don’t want to highjack, but I started a thread awhile ago about purchasing some stainless steel cookware. I haven’t gotten around to it, so I was wondering if you all had any preferred brands, stories to share, etc. I’m a grad student and can’t spend too much (i.e. can’t afford All-Clad).

Thanks.

I also think DuPont actaully realeased a document confirming the bird deaths from the fumes. Of course, they claim it only happens at high heat (over 500), and if you leave just the pan on the stove with nothing in it.[/quote]

sitram makes the best cheap stainless(non-reactive)cookware i’ve found.

for pan-searing meat there is nothing on earth better than those french 3mm carbon steel pans made by de buyer. i have an 8, 9, 10, and a crepe pan. they’re awesome and last forever. cheap too. the 8 was like $ 25 at the restaurant supply. being carbon you do need to season them and use them often or they rust. also they are reactive.

if you shop all-clad though you can find some killer deals on full sets. that stuff i just nice and worth the money.

I thought a stove top burner on high went about as high as 500F.

Personnaly, I prefer using less oil in my cooking since I am more scared of heart disease than these potential fumes or chemicals from other sources.

I don’t wear a breathing mask when I run outside in the city and I would be suprise if these fumes ended up being shown to be worst than gas exhaust, industry chemineys and overall smog found it the city.

Once you’ve seen city-dwellers lungs vs rural living people on dissection, the rest of these potential PFOA fumes become a moot point. Same thing goes if you go out to bars once in a while where people smoke.

To me this somehow seems like the guy telling me my protein shake is unhealthy while eating a big mac and drinking 32 ounces of regular coke.

Still, I would like to know the quantity to which I am exposed and what is the safety limit. If the product becomes dangerous for humans at 300,000 parts per million for years and we get exposed to 10 ppm for 30 seconds each time we cook above 500F it would be pointless.

Does it accumulate over time or does it need to reach a critical amount over a short period of time to have effects.

These things would be interesting to know before going all mob crazy over DuPont and non-stick pans. Hey, I like grilled meat and sometimes, there is some charring on a well cooked burger or sausage and it smokes the meat. I don’t flip out even though I know it is somewhat carcinogenic.

I don’t know about you guys but I don’t put an aluminum paper between the coals/flame and the meat to stop the fat from being burnt and smoking the meat.

Talking of grilled meat, I’ll go make me some of that.

AlexH.

Also,

if anybody ever agains threatens the integrity of the George Forman Grill, know that I will hunt you down and confiscate your left testicule.

It shall be returned after a written and signed public retraction has been submitted and if the appropriate administrative forms have been properly filled out.

An administrative fee of 57$ will be factured to cover file closure as well as testicular shipping and handling costs.

END PSA.

AlexH

People who get to complain about teflon and cancer:

1. People who eat more then 5 serving of fruit & veg a day

2. People who dont smoke and moderate drinking

3. People who excercise atleast 3 times a week

4. People who dont abuse recreational drugs.

Everyone else hast to shut the f*ck up. This issue was brought to my attention by my drunk, chain smoking, couch potatoe friend. minutia, its a bitch.

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
I thought a stove top burner on high went about as high as 500F.

[/quote]

blue flame is around 3000f.

Yeah, true about the blue flame, I was thinking about electrical stove tops.

Gas can get so much hotter than electric stoves.

I’ve checked a couple of other sites, it seems electric stoves can go to some 1900-2000F when it reaches its maximum red brightness.

I don’t know if the pan reaches that temp since I rarely put stuff that high since it ends up burning pretty quickly.

Good to know.

But my warning about the George Forman Grill still stands.

AlexH

Yes, but you don’t put your food in the flame or on the stove top: heat disapates quickly around the pan.

If anyone has one of those digital heat monitors I would be very interested to know the temperature of a pan.

Also: when reading recipies that specified the temperature (for stovetop) I always thought the temperature was in hundreds of degrees, usualy between 200 and 400, not 1000.

Firstly, America should ditch the use of archaic measurements and get with the metric system.

The only studies that matter here are epidemiological - what are the cases that have come out due to this alleged toxicity? It’s been around 40 years, where’s the proof, where are the sick people?

The carpet in your house does more to make you sick than a nonstick pan. Your car is even worse. Does anyone care?

The best cookware though is copper, iron, stainless steel. Copper and iron can enrich the food with copper and iron. Copper is the best but also most expensive and really heavy. Actually iron is heavy too.

Sorry man, I trust sites like that just as much as I trust manufacuter/corperation websites. The exceptions are when studies are cited that I can find (like on Pubmed or other journals that I have access to).

[quote]Chushin wrote:
This may be of interest here:

In new tests conducted by a university food safety professor, a generic non-stick frying pan preheated on a conventional, electric stovetop burner reached 736?F in three minutes and 20 seconds, with temperatures still rising when the tests were terminated. A Teflon pan reached 721?F in just five minutes under the same test, as measured by a commercially available infrared thermometer. DuPont studies show that the Teflon offgases toxic particulates at 446?F. At 680?F Teflon pans release at least six toxic gases, including two carcinogens, two global pollutants, and MFA, a chemical lethal to humans at low doses. At temperatures that DuPont scientists claim are reached on stovetop drip pans (1000?F), non-stick coatings break down to a chemical warfare agent known as PFIB, and a chemical analog of the WWII nerve gas phosgene.

From here:
http://tuberose.com/Teflon.html[/quote]