T Nation

Teflon Chemical Likely A Carcinogen

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060216/ap_on_he_me/epa_teflon

This is no suprise to me or probably anyone with half a brain in the food/nutrition world. There have been reports of this for years. I threw my nonstick pans out years ago....

Give it a year or two and watch the landslide of suit cases come. It'll be asbestos all over again.

The article stated that the chemical is used in the manufacture of teflon. I wonder if it remains with the teflon. Does any body know?

NO. It does NOT remain with the teflon.. if you mean "I wonder if it stays in teflon, or it leeches out" then the answer is: IT LEECHES OUT!!!

That is no joke.

The only Teflon in my house is the coating on my armor piercing bullets.

Fuck DuPont.

Seriously, this looks like a precursor and it may not be in the end product. Much clarification is needed.

My issue with nonstick cookware is shit still sticks to it and then the coating comes off. I don't like it.

It leeches out when you cook it. It goes into the fumes coming off the pan and you can breath it in. I don't have a major issue with teflon. Its a great product when used appropriately(Bullets, etc).

However, it shoud be yanked from cooking appliances.

I think the Teflon offgas is a different substance than the one in the article.

I have been to a ton of DuPont plants.

I think they make this in Parkersburg, WV but all chemical plants start to blend together after a while.

If I get the big "C" I will sue the hell out of DuPont.

Teflon isn't healthy, but if you make sure to avoid heating it too much it isn't too bad. Just use it minimally, and keep the heat levels medium or low.

I've read it and the other day I as told by a lady at Petco that canaries can't be kept close to the kitchen if you use this stuff cause it kills em.

Teflon is an incredible material with many industrial applications.

It has great chemical resistance and has the lowest coefficient of friction of any known substance.

The downside of of using Teflon is that it does not handle high temperatures or abrasion very well.

Since frying pans see moderately high temperatures and abrasion I have always been a bit leery of it.

This is COMPLETELY wrong. The chemical that is being discussed is used in the manufacturing process ONLY. Only those in the factory and in that particular area are exposed in any way. It may also be disposed of, and those people would be exposed--this I do not know. But it most certainly is not in the finished product. It can NOT be inhaled from fumes while cooking. It is not in the coating that comes off. It is not in the handle. You could eat teflon pans for supper and not be exposed in any way.

I have heard the same thing. I don't know if there is any validity.

This is what I suspected from reading the articles online but they were incomplete.

Do you have any verification?

I agree.I think they should pull that crap off of the market and put something thats not deadly.Speaking of carcinogens,Nabisco( the company that makes oreo cookies) was taken to court for having cancer-causing carcinogens in their cookies.

The above is what I was referring to.

However, if it's true that the compound is remaining in the finished teflon product, what are we going to do with our George Foreman grilles?

I use my foreman grill 2 times a day ...almot every day.

Zap
I can't refer you directly to anything, but I was watching msnbc the other day and they had the lawyers for both sides on discussing the settlement. They were very adamant that this 'chemical' is in a soaping product used in the manufacturing process, not in the actual product. I'm sure it could be quite easily verified, I'm not much of a googler or cut and paster--sorry.

The greatest thing that I ever did (bit of an exageration) was to learn how to season and properly use iron and steel cookware. Stuff sticks less, it's easier to clean, and if you scrape it up you can fix it.

you can also use woks made from anodized aluminum, which apparently seals the aluminum so it's not harmful.

the bird thing has happened i believe, but birds are extremely sensitive to chemicals, plus i believe in that case the pan had been left on the stove unattended at a high temperature - but don't quote me on that, i just remember reading it somewhere.

it's called "teflon flu"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/medicalnews.php?newsid=4716

and here it is acknowledged on dupont's site:
http://www.teflon.com/NASApp/Teflon/TeflonPageServlet?pageId=/consumer/na/eng/housewares/keyword/teflon_keyword_flu.html

note how they qualify it as "in-home normal cooking use" wtf is that ? if you want to do a good job cooking anything it's pretty normal to heat over 500. without real heat you can't sear, stir fry, or saute anything. "saute" means "jump" btw. that's the kind of heat you need to wield to cook stuff. so hot that whatever you put in that pan jumps around like a mexican bean. jeeez-s you can't even make a good omelet under 500.

all toxic fumes aside, shitty cookwear is the reason there are so many shitty cooks, is the reason people are used to shitty food. also if you've got a hot pan it ain't gonna stick. do branding irons stick ?