Teeth Whitening

You can ruin a great physique with shoddy teeth. I wanted to start this thread to see if there are any effective ways to whiten teeth? Coffee has done a bit of discoloring (nothing bad, but not perfection).

Also, I had to add this little tip: My dad has gone to several dentists and they have commented on how healthy his gums/teeth are. He doesn’t floss. He brushes just once a day. His secret?

A SMALL amount of Dr. Tichenors, swish around in the mouth, spit out every morning. Burns like hell but great for the gums. I got rid of gingivitis doing this.

“I wanted to get my teeth whitened, but I said fuck it, I’ll just get a tan instead.”

-Mitch Hedberg

-dizzle

What makes you think the ‘elite’ lifters of the T-Cell Alpha are more qualified to answer a question about teeth-whitening products than a forum like “Get a Life”?

Hint: (I don’t think this topic needs to be posted in this forum…)

[quote]Bauer97 wrote:
What makes you think the ‘elite’ lifters of the T-Cell Alpha are more qualified to answer a question about teeth-whitening products than a forum like “Get a Life”?

Hint: (I don’t think this topic needs to be posted in this forum…)[/quote]

Point taken. I’ll see if I can get it moved.

Your dentist can do trays & give you a solution to whiten them.

It can (and usually does) make your teeth more senstive, as it opens the “pores” in your tooth structure. Can irritate the gums, because it has hydrogen peroxide in it. There are strips you can buy, as well. Other than that, there are home remedies you could try. None that I would recommend. I was a dental asst. for several years. Some dentists offer tooth whitening for free when you’re a new patient.

Renee

My teeth used to be horribly stained, enough that I got made fun of at time in middle school and had them that way till early college.

I tried the Night Effects by Crest and the stuff was absolutely amazing. I no longer have yellow teeth or deep dark yellow stains (I have one pic that shows how bad they were). It’s been 3-4 yrs since I’ve used it and my teeth are still white, not bright white but white.

I actually bought some more recently, just haven’t used it.
I also used the things that you stick to your teeth, but the Night Effects was by far the best.

I would recommend asking Professor X, he is a dentist and will be qualified to answer your question

I’ve bleeched my teeth using doctor’s custom trays and the gel the doctor uses. I ordered the gel off ebay for 40$ and did a week’s ‘cycle’.

That was a few years ago. Every year i do a day of bleech. I actually got commented yesterday by some new chick at work. So things are going well.

I dont have sensitive teeth/gums so i get the 35%. The lower the % the weaker the product.:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&dfsp=32&from=R40&satitle=opalescence&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&bs=Search&saprclo=&saprchi=&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=ZIP%2FPostal&sabfmts=1&saobfmts=insif&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&fsop=32%26fsoo%3D2&fgtp=

[quote]Short Hoss wrote:
You can ruin a great physique with shoddy teeth. I wanted to start this thread to see if there are any effective ways to whiten teeth? Coffee has done a bit of discoloring (nothing bad, but not perfection).

Also, I had to add this little tip: My dad has gone to several dentists and they have commented on how healthy his gums/teeth are. He doesn’t floss. He brushes just once a day. His secret?

A SMALL amount of Dr. Tichenors, swish around in the mouth, spit out every morning. Burns like hell but great for the gums. I got rid of gingivitis doing this.[/quote]

Your dad is his own person with his own physiology. Some people simply have less bacteria in their mouths naturally or their teeth are less prone to cavities. People like that can be more careless and still not get cavities. Others can miss brushing one day and cause damage. Stop blaming a particular mouthwash for why your dad has “great gums”. If that was literally all he did, his teeth would fall out.

In office bleaching is the most expensive, but it is also the most effective. There is no product made over the counter with the concentration or time of exposure that matches in office bleaching.

Your next option would be take home trays where you apply the bleach at night. These are also effective, however, compliance is a huge issue and the effects take much longer.

Your final option would be the over the counter pastes or the whitening strips which do work but have a less concentration of bleach and, in my opinion, should be used as a “touch up” after in office bleaching is done if your goal is to truly get your teeth as white as possible without any crown work being done.

Lastly, why is this in this section?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
office bleeching … is also the most effective. /quote]

This is true in my opninion due to the fact that you can get really in between teeth where as the trays may miss a few spots.

[quote]DickBag wrote:
Short Hoss wrote:

That is the most disgracefull post on T-Nation so far.

i dont blame some non lifters thinking that we are all a bunch of vain gays sometimes. its no wonder when you have the odd post/comment floating around the place like the OP’s.

its stuff like that that makes a bad impression on bodybuilding.

next thing we know guys will be talking about cosmetic surgery on their cheekbones.

or worse, makeup.

ghey.

fucking super ghey shit OP.

[/quote]

Previous post written by “Toothless Bob”.

[quote]DickBag wrote:
Short Hoss wrote:

i dont blame some non lifters thinking that we are all a bunch of vain gays sometimes. its no wonder when you have the odd post/comment floating around the place like the OP’s.

next thing we know guys will be talking about cosmetic surgery on their cheekbones.

or worse, makeup.

ghey.

[/quote]

The only time I see you post is when your saying how ghey something is. I think you just have a weird sense of humor, but seriously, why is that?

[quote]DickBag wrote:
Short Hoss wrote:

or worse, makeup.

ghey.

[/quote]

The health of your teeth is a part of your overall health as a person. How white they are (besides the genetic predetermination of the color) is an outward sign of how healthy your teeth are. Having a nice smile can make a big impact on first impressions. It isn’t any more gay to want white teeth than to want a better looking body.

Another issue: If you have visible ceramic fillings, ie. on the outer surface, whitening may not be such a good idea. As far as I know, the fillings don’t get whiter in the process so your teeth could end up looking worse than before with the fillings standing out due to the difference in color.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:

The health of your teeth is a part of your overall health as a person. How white they are (besides the genetic predetermination of the color) is an outward sign of how healthy your teeth are.
[/quote]
Staining can occur from coffee, red wine, green tea or blueberries, to name a few. Chlorhexidine, at least when used for longer periods, can cause stains on teeth as well. All not necessarily a sign of bad health.

[quote]
Having a nice smile can make a big impact on first impressions. It isn’t any more gay to want white teeth than to want a better looking body. [/quote]

With this I agree.

[quote]michael2507 wrote:
Another issue: If you have visible ceramic fillings, ie. on the outer surface, whitening may not be such a good idea. As far as I know, the fillings don’t get whiter in the process so your teeth could end up looking worse than before with the fillings standing out due to the difference in color.[/quote]

That’s why people should see a dentist instead of simply assuming they don’t have any outstanding problems. Most people have at least a couple of cavities if they haven’t seen the dentist regularly. Bleaching teeth with present cavities is just asking for extreme sensitivity down the road. That doesn’t even include ignoring growing decay which will lead to tooth loss later on.

Also, no, composite fillings or crowns do not bleach at all. They will be the same color after bleaching so if they do stand out afterwards, they will need to be replaced.

[quote]BONEZ217 wrote:
… It isn’t any more gay to want white teeth than to want a better looking body. [/quote]

Unless you are doing it to pick up men.

I actually whitened my teeth for my first show.

I had trays made from the dentist, they worked fairly well. It doesnt last long so if you go back to all the coffee ect. I’d recommend only doing it if youre going to compete or doing a beauty contest lol.

[quote]Alex-P wrote:
I actually whitened my teeth for my first show.

I had trays made from the dentist, they worked fairly well. It doesnt last long so if you go back to all the coffee ect. I’d recommend only doing it if youre going to compete or doing a beauty contest lol. [/quote]

A touch up every six months is to be expected if none of your other habits change.

There’s nothing gay (ghey) about wanting to keep your teeth presentable. For those of us who drink coffee on a regular basis, brushing isn’t always enough. Stained teeth suck to have, man.

Obsessing over getting them as white as the assholes on toothpaste commercials might be a little extreme (they shouldn’t glow in the dark), but no one wants people to think they’re walking around with a mouthful of corn.

That being said, I found the Wal-Mart knock offs of Crest Whitestrips to do the job nicely. For $15 bucks, it’s a good place to start.