T Nation

Teenagers Using T-Boosters

I’m currently going to be a senior in high school and play sports where a lot of teenagers are using t boosters. Whenever the subject is brought up it’s almost taboo: adults with “knowledge” claim that at “this sensitive age” these kids are ruining their bodies natural capability to produce T and blah blah blah. I find this a very curious claim, especially when it comes to herbal T boosters such as Trib.

I have a lot of research about biology, anatomy, chemistry, etc. under my belt as I want to major in molec and cellular bio so I do have quite a bit of knowledge on hormones. Based on my knowledge, it seems counterintuitive to claim that a natural herb could have such an adverse effect, but none the less I took the claim into consideration since teenager’s, especially pubescent ones, have cery tricky hormonal profiles. A

nyways, I also have a fair bit of knowledge on past foreign culture and know that some cultures, especially primitive ones, are known to have consumed such roots as the source of Maca (from what I recall), another common T booster and had much higher T wihtout showing intelligible side effects.
I’m just curious to see what other people who are more experienced with hormones and have more pragmatic experience have to say.
Thanks for your input

The one thing I know for sure is that they are wasting their money. I’d say 24 is about the earliest anyone should probably worry about spending money on T boosters.

That’s a pretty steep claim. The belief that teenagers have “very high T” is ignorant, especially in the American culture which isn’t conducive to having a good hormonal profile. That may not be your logic since it’s pretty obvious that you have solid knowledge. What makes you say 24?

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
That’s a pretty steep claim. The belief that teenagers have “very high T” is ignorant, especially in the American culture which isn’t conducive to having a good hormonal profile. That may not be your logic since it’s pretty obvious that you have solid knowledge. What makes you say 24?[/quote]

Huh? Well, I guess you have a point if you are referring to teenagers that have yet to hit puberty.

24 just because that is the mean age where most seem to agree T levels begin to fall. When this happens varies greatly based on the individual.

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
That’s a pretty steep claim. The belief that teenagers have “very high T” is ignorant, especially in the American culture which isn’t conducive to having a good hormonal profile. That may not be your logic since it’s pretty obvious that you have solid knowledge. What makes you say 24?[/quote]

Ignorant? Teenagers have the greatest release of testosterone that they will experience in their life time. How is that “ignorant”? There is no point in your life that you will be producing as much testosterone as you are before the age of 20.

Most herbal products were tested on middle aged men who had lower test and they simply brought them back to NORMAL, not supraphysiologic levels.

Sure teenagers have highest T at that point in their life realative to themselves but not always do teenagers actually have high testosterone. I’m not trying to go against either of you because I’ll be the first to admit that your guys’ knowledge far exceeds mine I merely came here looking for legitamite opinions on a subject that I found interesting.
Thanks for your guys’ input

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
Sure teenagers have highest T at that point in their life realative to themselves but not always do teenagers actually have high testosterone. I’m not trying to go against either of you because I’ll be the first to admit that your guys’ knowledge far exceeds mine I merely came here looking for legitamite opinions on a subject that I found interesting.
Thanks for your guys’ input[/quote]

No offense, but you seem confused. I’m not degrading you because you do seem smart for your age, but you are jumping the gun and haven’t even scratched the surface of how complex the human body is.

Good luck in college.

However, when discussing large populations of people, you need to consider the concept of a Bell Curve. There will be people with higher testosterone levels, lower levels and levels in between. None of that erases the fact that teenagers have the most testosterone their bodies will naturally produce. That means screwing with that hormonal balance (even though supplements like that are a WASTE at that age and not likely to do anything at all) is a huge mistake.

No offense taken. I know that I haven’t even scratched the surface, I have a long way to go and that’s why I come here because I recognize how knowledgeable people on these forums are and that you’re all willing to allow other people to pick your brain.
Thanks again

X:

Not sure what the reasoning is for this: “None of that erases the fact that teenagers have the most testosterone their bodies will naturally produce.”

Anything that would cause low test in an older man (besides age related hormone decline) will have the same effect on a young one. There are a ton of things you can do to your body that will drastically lower testosterone levels. The majority of teenagers actually have low testosterone compared to what they could have.

Saying that, it would be far more beneficial to avoid substances/activities that lower testosterone rather than look for ways to boost it.

[quote]
Professor X wrote: That means screwing with that hormonal balance (even though supplements like that are a WASTE at that age and not likely to do anything at all) is a huge mistake.[/quote]

So do you think taking an herbal “test” booster at a younger age would actually have a short/long term effects on hormonal levels? That being said I’m very skeptical of trib actually boosting testosterone levels, seems like the libido effects are due mostly to an increase in nitric oxide.

[quote]ratm88 wrote:

So do you think taking an herbal “test” booster at a younger age would actually have a short/long term effects on hormonal levels?
[/quote]

I doubt it will have ANY significant effect on hormone levels for someone that age. These supplements are not drugs. You are not going to achieve some “I can’t believe it’s not steroids” effect from them, especially as a teenager.

You may get some “I now have a magic feather so I will finally start lifting heavier” effects or possibly even some “for $45, I guess I had better start finally eating enough to gain weight” effects. Then they can run around school and tell every other knuckleheaded 16 year old that the product works as if the weights and food were a minor part of the equation.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
ratm88 wrote:

So do you think taking an herbal “test” booster at a younger age would actually have a short/long term effects on hormonal levels?

I doubt it will have ANY significant effect on hormone levels for someone that age. These supplements are not drugs. You are not going to achieve some “I can’t believe it’s not steroids” effect from them, especially as a teenager.

You may get some “I now have a magic feather so I will finally start lifting heavier” effects or possibly even some “for $45, I guess I had better start finally eating enough to gain weight” effects. Then they can run around school and tell every other knuckleheaded 16 year old that the product works as if the weights and food were a minor part of the equation.[/quote]

Ya thats about what I gathered from my research, merely a placebo effect. Just the way you worded your last post made me think you beleived there could be some health repercussions from taking these products.

Most teens in high school can have as much test as they want but it won’t do jack shit if all they do is arm and chest workouts. They’ll still look the same.

[quote]tw0scoops2 wrote:
Most teens in high school can have as much test as they want but it won’t do jack shit if all they do is arm and chest workouts. They’ll still look the same.[/quote]

I understand your point of view for the general high school population but my post was more directly concerning top notch high school athletes that I compete with. I just don’t quite see how an herb could have negative repercussions when taken intelligently, and of course after having everything else in order. As someone else said a few posts back, the truth of the matter is that teenagers aren’t gushing with T as is popularly assumed. From what I know, it seems as though teenage athletes would not be misguided to try to optimize their hormonal profile.
That being said, I agree that they would be better off working at avoiding things that negatively affect hormones BEFORE looking at using supplements.

I may be out of my element here but most teenagers should be worrying about “boosting” their T levels by eating, lifting, and resting optimally before even considering using herbal boosters like Tribulus. Most high school athletes do NOT have a sound nutritional or training program (I know from experience), let alone get 8 hours of sleep a night. They are looking for the quick fix, but little do they know that Alpha Male is only worth the money if your nutritional bases, training, and rest are already in order.

Question: Is ZMA worth it for a teenager? if your zinc levels are low why not eat more steak or oysters which contain zinc?

[quote]RitesOfSpring wrote:
I may be out of my element here but most teenagers should be worrying about “boosting” their T levels by eating, lifting, and resting optimally before even considering using herbal boosters like Tribulus. Most high school athletes do NOT have a sound nutritional or training program (I know from experience), let alone get 8 hours of sleep a night. They are looking for the quick fix, but little do they know that Alpha Male is only worth the money if your nutritional bases, training, and rest are already in order.

Question: Is ZMA worth it for a teenager? if your zinc levels are low why not eat more steak or oysters which contain zinc?[/quote]

Like I said, that is true but again, I was talking mostly about top notch athletes that already have everything else in line.

Steak is a viable source of zinc but it’s just inconvenient for most. In order for you to get the amount of zinc found in ZMA you’d have to eat around 24 oz. of lean steak daily, which is more expensive and more time consuming than popping a few capsules.

[quote]BlakedaMan wrote:
I’m currently going to be a senior in high school and play sports where a lot of teenagers are using t boosters. Whenever the subject is brought up it’s almost taboo: adults with “knowledge” claim that at “this sensitive age” these kids are ruining their bodies natural capability to produce T and blah blah blah. I find this a very curious claim, especially when it comes to herbal T boosters such as Trib.

I have a lot of research about biology, anatomy, chemistry, etc. under my belt as I want to major in molec and cellular bio so I do have quite a bit of knowledge on hormones. Based on my knowledge, it seems counterintuitive to claim that a natural herb could have such an adverse effect, but none the less I took the claim into consideration since teenager’s, especially pubescent ones, have cery tricky hormonal profiles. A

nyways, I also have a fair bit of knowledge on past foreign culture and know that some cultures, especially primitive ones, are known to have consumed such roots as the source of Maca (from what I recall), another common T booster and had much higher T wihtout showing intelligible side effects.
I’m just curious to see what other people who are more experienced with hormones and have more pragmatic experience have to say.
Thanks for your input[/quote]

You are a senior in HS but have a lot of “research under your belt”? What does that mean?

My recollection of HS was barely touching MCD bio, and I got a 5 on the AP bio test.

I think you should just listen to what the guys here have to say about screwing with your hormones at a young age. It doesn’t matter whether a chemical is “natural” or not. A chemical is a chemical and the side effects are what they are, regardless of whether or not it came from some plant.

Whatever hormones you ingest or inject may have an adverse effect on what your testicles/pituitary do, but I’m sure you already knew that.

if you want to feel even more horny then you already are at your age or just a little more aggression then try the t-booster but if you are looking for strength gains then look else where: FOOD, protein shakes, creatine, beta alanine, bcaa