Teenagers and Renegade Training

Would Renegade style of training be applicable to a beginner weight lifter who plays varsity soccer or basketball. I’m going to train my brother, who plays soccer this summer and was thinking about employing some Renegade techniques. Obviously, I’ll need to focus on SPP and GPP work that addresses agility, flexibility, and such. Just curious if it would be okay to start out a newbie with some bent dumbbell presses and med ball throws. In the past, I’ve always trained beginners pretty basic for the first 3-6 months depending on the individual. He is 17 years old, 5’10" and a whopping 145 lbs. dripping wet with clothes on. If I employ anything, it probably would only be if the correct form could be maintained. Any suggestions would be highly appreciated.

At that age and with an athletic background, he is more than ready to tackle some serious Renegade training. Rope work, GPP, SPP, weights, kettlebell circuits and other components of Renegade training are all great ideas and are relatively quick to learn, but take drive and committment to stick with and push through. Make sure your brother is committed and mentally ready for the challenge. Good luck!

The Renegade style of training is possibly best grasped by younger athletes because of the diversification of training measures. As you noted, always ensure that correct form are maintained. If you wish, I would be happy to discuss more. In faith, Coach Davies