Teenager Training Frequency

Hello,

I’ve been lurking in these forums for a while, posting on occasion. Im 18, 150lbs (gained 5-10 lbs in a month since I’ve come home from university - been trying to eat a lot) and have a lot of time on my hands.
I’ve been weight lifting for a year on and off, but for the last 1.5 months, I’ve been working out 6/7 days each week. I usually do lowerbody and upperbody workouts alternating. I would say that 30% of my exercises are to failure and I always do more than 1 set of each exercise. I am very unflexible (I use 2.5lb plates under my heels for squats and I can’t sit cross-legged) so I stretch a lot before and during my workouts.

Now here’s the problem (I think). I’ve noticed a pattern: Immediately after I work-out I feel pretty tired, and often my muscles are sore, but after my 10-11 hour sleep, I wake up feeling as good as new the next day. I’ve read articles like Trainging Frequency @ http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=459656 among many others, but none of it adresses Teenagers. Through my readings I am aware that Teenagers have it a lot easier (hormone levels and growth stages etc), and was wondering if this is the reason I don’t feel fatigue as much as an older male would feel? Or am I going about this all wrong - should I start training 3-4 days a week?

Thanks for your help in advance,
Prince

Well, the litmus test is whether you are progressing or not. Are you making good progress toward your goals? That’s really the only question you need to answer. If you are, keep doing what you’re doing until you stop making progress. If not, change something until you are.

I’d also think real hard about picking up the Magnificent Mobility DVD or some of the JumpStretch stuff from EliteFTS to improve the flexibility issues. At your height, age, and weight, you ought to be friggin’ gumby.

Dont stretch before you workout, warm up.

Theres no need to train 6/7 days a week at this age…in my opinion…especially because you are inexperienced.

I train 6-7 days a week and am making good progress. I know he’s not exactly liked but PTTP style training is really good for beginners. I use a mix of that and some other stuff, mainly GTG or conditioning work.

Beginers don’t have the work capacity that more advanced lifters do but they aren’t able to stress their bodies near as much. As long as you’re making progress and you aren’t feeling too drained on subsequent days I say go with it. Once you start feeling burned out though you should take a few off and make adjustments.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Dont stretch before you workout, warm up.[/quote]

I warmup and then stretch: usually a 5-7 (to keep the tricks guessing) minute jog on the treadmill. Then I stretch.
Is this wrong?

[quote]adisaac wrote:
Well, the litmus test is whether you are progressing or not. Are you making good progress toward your goals? That’s really the only question you need to answer. If you are, keep doing what you’re doing until you stop making progress. If not, change something until you are.

I’d also think real hard about picking up the Magnificent Mobility DVD or some of the JumpStretch stuff from EliteFTS to improve the flexibility issues. At your height, age, and weight, you ought to be friggin’ gumby. [/quote]

It seems like I’m making progress: my benchpress and squat have been going up. So I think I’ll stick with it. I’ll take a look at those two DVD’s.

Also, I’ll try and search for PTTP and read up.

Thanks a lot everyone for your help.

this is the warmup pitfall that many fall into. consider the dynamic warmup instead.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Dont stretch before you workout, warm up.[/quote]

Best post ever

[quote]Contach wrote:
Also, I’ll try and search for PTTP and read up.
[/quote]

In case you have a hard time finding it, PTTP is short for Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline. I found it at my local library, but it’s also fairly cheap at Amazon.