Teenager Olympic Program?

I’m 17 and I’ve been recently interested with olympic lifting. Previously I’ve trained like a bodybuilder, I’d say I have decent lifts and a good physique for 17! I realize I can just google this but I feel there are veterans here that could help me out, my question is I want to get into olympic weightlifting, what’s a good split for this, diet etc ?

Split? I see we have some work to do :stuck_out_tongue:

Everyday you train:

Snatch: work up to a heavy single (stop adding weight to the bar when form get sloopy)- then drop to 80% of that weight and do 3 sets of 2.
Clean and Jerk: same as in snatch
Front squat/Back squat: alternate those everyday you train, pick some range and get strong at it, 3x3, 5x5, 2x2, whatever.
Accesories: bb stuff if you want to throw it in: chin-ups (highly recomended), overhead preeses (recomended as well),curls, some kind of triceps extension, bench presses (not that recomended thought).

[quote]HatersGunaHate wrote:
Everyday you train:

Snatch: work up to a heavy single (stop adding weight to the bar when form get sloopy)- then drop to 80% of that weight and do 3 sets of 2.
Front squat/Back squat: alternate those everyday you train, pick some range and get strong at it, 3x3, 5x5, 2x2, whatever.
Accesories: bb stuff if you want to throw it in: chin-ups (highly recomended), overhead preeses (recomended as well),curls, some kind of triceps extension, bench presses (not that recomended thought).

[/quote]
What if you cant do the true olympic snatch, only the Power variation? would that be fine as well? Should you integrate High Pulls into this kind of program?

[quote]Quiet Warrior wrote:

Everyday you train:

[/quote]
What if you cant do the true olympic snatch, only the Power variation? would that be fine as well? Should you integrate High Pulls into this kind of program?[/quote]

I guess yes, it could work as well.
If I were to incorporate some kind of pulls I’d put them before squats in a 3x3 scheme.

But if someone plans on compete they better be doing the actual competition lifts IMO, or you can compete with the power variations -lol.

Everyday you train:

[/quote]
What if you cant do the true olympic snatch, only the Power variation? would that be fine as well? Should you integrate High Pulls into this kind of program?[/quote]

If I were to incorporate some kind of pulls I’d put them before squats in a 3x3 scheme.

But if someone plans on compete they better be doing the actual competition lifts IMO, or you can compete with the power variations -lol. [/quote]
That would be like competing with Dumbell Flys in a Powerlifting Meet!
Thank you for helping.

Do you have a background in olympic lifting?

If you are serious about Olympic lifting and intend to compete, find a coach and learn the techniques. It is far better to start out learning the right way to do the lifts than trying to break bad habits later on. To give you an example; in the 1990’s the US’s best 105 + kilo weightlifter was Shane Hammon [sp ?]. Shane was a powerlifter before he decided to take up Olympic weightlifting.

The first month his coach had him doing the lifts with a broomstick–learning the techniques. If you can’t find a coach, you might want to check out Glen Pendley’s or Mark Rippetoe’s instruction videos. Getting Rippetoe’s Starting Strength or Tommy Kono’s books on Olympic weightlifting [I’d take Kono’s if you can only afford one book.] would be good reference books.

Everyday you train:

[/quote]

But if someone plans on compete they better be doing the actual competition lifts IMO, or you can compete with the power variations -lol. [/quote]
Thank you for helping.

Do you have a background in olympic lifting?[/quote]

Im glad I could help.

Trained for a while and would love to do it again, right now powerlifting due to not having the proper equipment to train for OL.

Everyday you train:

[/quote]

Thank you for helping.

Do you have a background in olympic lifting?[/quote]

Im glad I could help.

Trained for a while and would love to do it again, right now powerlifting due to not having the proper equipment to train for OL.[/quote]

I feel you man, oly gyms are scarce, and the equipment sets you back a few thousand bucks.

[quote]bigturk34 wrote:
I’m 17 and I’ve been recently interested with olympic lifting. Previously I’ve trained like a bodybuilder, I’d say I have decent lifts and a good physique for 17! I realize I can just google this but I feel there are veterans here that could help me out, my question is I want to get into olympic weightlifting, what’s a good split for this, diet etc ? [/quote]

Find a coach in your area on USA Weightlifting’s website, under LWC’s (I’m assuming you’re in the US). If non are close, call the one labeled as president and ask if they know of any clubs near you that may or may not be listed.

Otherwise, check out Pendlay.com and under articles, there is a beginner program. Also, check out California Strength and their progression video’s.