Teenager Assaulted at Gym for "Deadlifting Too Loud"

A client of Pete Rubish was assaulted by a stranger, who tried to stomp the bar while he was about to lockout because he thought it was “too loud”. This happened at a Buzzfit Gym - Greenfield Park in Montreal, Canada.

450-812-2100

Buzzfitgym, on their instagram, claim to be “investigating” but I don’t buy it - I’m convinced he was an employee who was working out off-shift, which is why he was able to kick this guy out.

Clearly that dadbod noodle arm guy got mad that a teenager was lifting more than he could.

Can any Canadian members, particularly Montreal members, do their own “investigation” and ID this guy?

Eh, most likely played a part, but I imagine it was the noise that upset him. The eccentric ended with a pretty good thud for each rep.

And don’t get me wrong; it’s a gym, it’s going to be loud, but I also know that the sound gets to people.

He handled it like a child, whereas the teenager was the only adult in the interaction.

4 Likes

If you go to the videos uploaded on instagram under that gym’s location, there are plenty of people deadlifting louder with lighter weight.

Dude felt free to put hands on him because he was a teenager.

There are SO MANY better ways of handling this if in fact the noise of the deadlifts were bothering him or other members. Glad to see the teenager didn’t get injured by the ridiculousness of the idiot.

The teenager handled it exceptionally, I hope to play it that cool if ever met with that sort of confrontation.

The push was so very unnecessary. Someone didn’t know they were on camera…busted.

4 Likes

Unfortunately, he hasn’t been exposed despite video evidence.

Have you read some of the comments/reviews on their FB page? Pretty funny actually.

“As I went to sign the contract to join, I clicked the pen, and the manager immediately slapped the pen out of my hand, kicked me in the ding-ding and screamed “Too much noise, you’re making too much noise””

"Was deadlifting here, nailing a 5 rep max PR (lightweight baby) when suddenly an angry, wannabe bodybuilder waddled over from his 10x10 Kegel set and kicked me in the boys, causing the bar to drop out of my hands because I was being “too loud” in a gym, in the free weights section. He then shoved me into a wall.

0/10 would not recommend unless you enjoy dodging tantrums from manlets while exercising."

7 Likes

Lovin these reviews. But they’re a budget 24/7 gym with decent equipment, so I don’t think this will affect their business. The guy who did this needs to be held responsible.

This is so true. There were a few guys whose blood would practically boil when I was doing high rep deads. We took all reasonable measures to be as quiet as possible, and only once did the gym give us a hard time about it. It was just a new employee who didn’t know the policy. They had us placing mats down on the floor like this guy did too, although it was just another layer of horse stall mats that didn’t actually do anything to dampen the sound. We still played along, which seems to be what this poor kid was doing as well.

I think it would be great if a bunch of monsters start showing up there and pulling heavy. Something tells me he wouldn’t kick the bar of some truck of a dude pulling 700 or 800.

Mr. Animal shirt might want to look into a home setup. He’s about to become internet famous.

5 Likes

Video posted yesterday with already 145k views. Yep, this is going to make it’s way around the net.

2 Likes

Oh people will have a field day with this. Aside from the multiple levels of meme-ready gym douchebaggery, someone’s finally captured a Canadian on film being impolite.

12 Likes

A police Captain for my department is being criminally charged with battery and is currently suspended without pay for less physical contact than that. I’m not a violent person but I might’ve actually hit that guy.

I’m all good with throwing him out if you have the authority but you don’t fucking put your hands (or foot) on a loaded bar when someone is lifting. That retard ought to be fired/banned for displaying such reckless stupidity.

2 Likes

I’d think if he’s an employee the gym would recognize the lawsuit potential here pretty quickly.

For sure, but do they also have this same unhinged individual present in all of them?

It only takes one lunatic to feel slighted for previously acceptable protocol to become an issue. Much like how I lose my mind when someone turns without using a turn signal, despite the rest of the world seemingly being ok with it.

2 Likes

“how I lose my mind when someone turns without using a turn signal”

Same!!! My personal favorite is getting tailgated at 35mph in stop and start traffic, only to see the same car going 65-70 in the left lane (in my rearview mirror) after traffic clears up.

I honestly don’t know how I could’ve stopped myself from hitting the guy after he pushed me. Am I the only immature one here?

@Frank_C I’ve been told that as long as there is no blood, if the cops determine the guy you hit is a major douche, they will just say “your word against his”, and just let things go.

Because I once again reference the whole lunatic thing, I’m very wary of escalating anything these days. You never know how far the other guy is willing to go.

If my family is on the line, I’ll do things that will definitely get me arrested, but if it’s just some dillhole at the gym, I’m going to just leave. Not worth getting shot.

2 Likes

Along these lines, Ive had two friends stabbed cause of situations like this. One at school/One at a bar. Neither died, but still, being stabbed isnt a good time. Dont bring a spoon to a knifefight.

1 Like

Context, I guess.

I understand Punisher’s point, for sure.

But that kid was getting treated like a bitch, and then, the other guy laid hands on him and pushed him. What’s the point of getting all big and strong?

I am not hardcore by any means, I would not be in a bar at all, let alone get into a bar fight, and I would definitely walk away from most situations. But this…

I’ve had altercations at the gym before and made it clear fast if you put your hands on me it would not turn out well for you. I never initiate conflict but there’s nothing wrong with defending yourself if threatened and the moment he pushed me like that would have been on.

2 Likes

I’ve always figured no blood, no foul. If somebody puts their hands on you on camera, that’s all you need. No need to muddy the legal waters by hitting the guy back. Instead of pressing charges on him and having to deal with that, you’re potentially having to deal with him wrongfully pressing charges against you. Either way, I’d rather not go through the legal process.

“Deadlifting too loud”. I lift at a totally banal municipal gym and nobody has ever minded dropping iron or roaring like a beast on heavy squats. What’s wrong with these people?

That said they do worry about overhead carries.