T Nation

Teenage Powerlifting

Hello, I made an account after seeing that there were really good people and information on this site, looking forward to learn a lot of things, good or bad you still learn from it!

I am a 15 year old male, weighting 85kilos and around 183cm. I have been training regular since after the summer last year ,with strength in mind, 3-4 times a week, with mobility/ foam rolling and trigger point inbetween, with 1-2 days rest every week depending on how I feel the last workout. I have had experience from training before, when I played basketball we had gym sessions two times a week with a PT I trust. I still train in the same gym. I started strength training after the summer I quit basketball.

I’m currently doing the Reg Park 5x5 and I’ve made gains , my main lifts are 80+ in bench 100kg ( depth was adequate to a older lifter I know, but I’m not sure ) in squat, I can also rep 130kg on the deadlift but never really tested for a 1RM. I feel like i don’t put in inoff work, but feel exhausted some days, which really gets me down.

How did you go about training when you were 15? Nutrition, schedule, your form, Any information would be worth it. Exercise selection, supplements, program.

My idols are Lilliebridge family, George Leeman , Pete Rubbish. Admire raw powerlifters.

Thank you, anything you tell helps.

Glöm inte Magnus Samuelsson f’o’r fan!

[quote]Claudan wrote:
GlÃ?¶m inte Magnus Samuelsson f’o’r fan![/quote]

Sant, sann Strongman!

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:
GlÃ??Ã?¶m inte Magnus Samuelsson f’o’r fan![/quote]

Sant, sann Strongman![/quote]

Var i ‘du gamla du fria’ ar du?

[quote]Claudan wrote:

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:

[quote]Claudan wrote:
GlÃ???Ã??Ã?¶m inte Magnus Samuelsson f’o’r fan![/quote]

Sant, sann Strongman![/quote]

Var i ‘du gamla du fria’ ar du?[/quote]

Fjällhöga nord!

iaf,

det med trottheten har mycket och gora med maten imo. Om du har tid o vilja borde du kolla pa denna videon. Den 'a’r riktigt bra och kan lera dig nestan allt du behover veta.

[quote]Claudan wrote:
iaf,

det med trottheten har mycket och gora med maten imo. Om du har tid o vilja borde du kolla pa denna videon. Den 'a’r riktigt bra och kan lera dig nestan allt du behover veta.

Mycket intressant, ska antecknas

Ahem… I know that Claudan generally knows his shit, but it’d be nice if we all had any clue what you two were chatting about, just out of curiosity. :wink:

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:
weighting 85kilos and around 183cm.[/quote]
For perspective, about how fat are you? Not a percentage, but do you have defined abs, some fat around the waist, or something in between?

That program is solid, but it’s a 3 day a week plan, not 4 or more. Make sure you’re eating plenty, 3 meals a day 7 days a week, and sleeping a decent amount every night. Also, make sure you’re having a protein and carb shake right after or right before you lift. That’ll help with recovery.

Ha, man, at 15 I was about your height, weighed a little less, and was barely training. When I did get started soon after, it was with info straight out of bodybuilding magazines. You’re off to quite a better start.

Still though, I’d make sure you can handle the most basic-basics. Push-ups, pull-ups, unweighted lunges, planks. Make sure you can knock out a dozen or so of each (holding the plank for a 15-count). That will help to make sure you’re staying healthy and strong as you go.

#1 rule - Avoid muscular failure. You should never not be able to finish a set, and you should never really have to grind out your last rep.

Check out this article I wrote up:

You should at least be able to use the nutrition info to keep things on track.

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:
Ahem… I know that Claudan generally knows his shit, but it’d be nice if we all had any clue what you two were chatting about, just out of curiosity. :wink:

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:
weighting 85kilos and around 183cm.[/quote]
For perspective, about how fat are you? Not a percentage, but do you have defined abs, some fat around the waist, or something in between?

That program is solid, but it’s a 3 day a week plan, not 4 or more. Make sure you’re eating plenty, 3 meals a day 7 days a week, and sleeping a decent amount every night. Also, make sure you’re having a protein and carb shake right after or right before you lift. That’ll help with recovery.

Ha, man, at 15 I was about your height, weighed a little less, and was barely training. When I did get started soon after, it was with info straight out of bodybuilding magazines. You’re off to quite a better start.

Still though, I’d make sure you can handle the most basic-basics. Push-ups, pull-ups, unweighted lunges, planks. Make sure you can knock out a dozen or so of each (holding the plank for a 15-count). That will help to make sure you’re staying healthy and strong as you go.

#1 rule - Avoid muscular failure. You should never not be able to finish a set, and you should never really have to grind out your last rep.

Check out this article I wrote up:

You should at least be able to use the nutrition info to keep things on track.
[/quote]

Its, not visual abs no, but they can be seen if I tense up my stomach, My brother gave me creatin ( from a company called FAIRING sports nutrition, says 100% pure ) and a " RECOVERY and RELAXATION sustained release protein" called Night-Pro ( from a company called STAR NUTRITION ) , i don’t use them often , I have used creatin more as a preworkout. Anything I should add? Ohh and do you mean I should rest 2 days until a new week? Thank you for the reply

I may be naive, but strength is my main goal. Should I focus on more bodyweight / higher reps. Even if that’s the case, I experience better strength/ gains from heavier workouts/ lower reps. Apart from the pump ofcourse , haha

Thanks for the help, I’ll focus more on form. And lower the weights

90kg x5 today squat

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:
My brother gave me creatin ( from a company called FAIRING sports nutrition, says 100% pure ) and a " RECOVERY and RELAXATION sustained release protein" called Night-Pro ( from a company called STAR NUTRITION ) , i don’t use them often , I have used creatin more as a preworkout. Anything I should add?[/quote]
As long as you’re eating three good meals every single day, those are fine. The only other thing I’d suggest is a whey protein to have right before or right after you lift. The “night pro” is a mix that’s supposed to digest slowly, but one that’s just whey gets into your system faster, which is what you want when you train.

Yep, on the Reg Park 5x5 plan, you should only be in the gym lifting three days a week. The other days are resting. Doing mobility work or foam rolling is fine on the non-lifting days.

5x5 is fine as-is. What I meant by the push-ups, pull-ups, and lunges is what I talked about in that article I linked to. Your body should be able to do those basic bodyweight exercises, because it strengthens the tendons, ligaments, and support structures differently than heavy lifting will.

A kid who can bench press his bodyweight but can’t manage 10 push-ups is weak - weak muscles and weak joints. And that’s not a good sign. As a young dude, realize that you could be lifting for another 60+ years, so you want to start off on the right foot and stay healthy as you go along.

When you say i have 60 lifting years more to go it sounds very positive., but I can’t help but think I need to get strong fast, like my idols who all lifted 300kg+ very early, I can do basics exercises, I started doing bodyweight squats, pushups, calf raises very early. 12-14. Sit-ups to. But I feel positive about it being a long journey, if it weren’t long everyone would be doing it. It would be easy by other means,

I’ll try and find whey in Sweden. Sweden doesn’t have many products from the training industry made in USA.

Thanks for taking time to give an response.

But lifting 300-400 isn’t very healthy, xD

100kg squat today, plus 130kg deadlift for 8 singles

[quote]I.Bacu wrote:
130kg deadlift for 8 singles[/quote]
That’s good work, but what happened to 5x5?

I didnt quite like the touch and go of the deadlift, feel more comfortable doing in for singles