T Nation

Teenage Gamer May Go to Prison for 8 Years for Violent Joke on League of Legends

I didnt play it because that dude looks like a douchebag.

?In light of recent situations, statements such as the one Justin made are taken seriously,? said an Austin police detective in a statement.

I suppose he’s referring to the Newtown shooting? An eloquent way of admitting they have a mob mentality and they believe starting witchhunts is acceptable after tragedies like Newtown

[quote]Facepalm_Death wrote:
?In light of recent situations, statements such as the one Justin made are taken seriously,? said an Austin police detective in a statement.

I suppose he’s referring to the Newtown shooting? An eloquent way of admitting they have a mob mentality and they believe starting witchhunts is acceptable after tragedies like Newtown[/quote]
Mob mentality and witch hunt?
The guy said, in writing, that he was going to shoot up a school and there have been a few school shootings.
Screw this guy, maybe he’ll think twice next time before saying he’s insane and is going to shoot a bunch of kids.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:

I suppose he’s referring to the Newtown shooting? An eloquent way of admitting they have a mob mentality and they believe starting witchhunts is acceptable after tragedies like Newtown[/quote]
The guy said, in writing, that he was going to shoot up a school and there have been a few school shootings.
Screw this guy, maybe he’ll think twice next time before saying he’s insane and is going to shoot a bunch of kids.[/quote]

You failed to mention that he added "lol’ and “jk” at the end of it. Obviously you shouldn’t ever say that kind of thing, but 8 years, gtfo, give him a fine and some community service.

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

Screw this guy, maybe he’ll think twice next time before saying he’s insane and is going to shoot a bunch of kids.[/quote]

You failed to mention that he added "lol’ and “jk” at the end of it. Obviously you shouldn’t ever say that kind of thing, but 8 years, gtfo, give him a fine and some community service.[/quote]

I agree. 8 years is way too harsh imo but you do have to address the statement. He was a moron for joking like that.

Answer me this, had he said that comment not “in light of recent situations” would they have done the same thing? I’ve heard hundreds of people online say they are going to kill someone, I bet I could find several cases on verbal assault in a short manner on this site. Not all acts of stupidity need to be sensationalized. How does society benefit to send this kid to jail for 8 years vs. him being scared shitless right now and never doing anything like this again?

The guy who tracked down a 15 year old is a creep.

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

You failed to mention that he added "lol’ and “jk” at the end of it. Obviously you shouldn’t ever say that kind of thing, but 8 years, gtfo, give him a fine and some community service.[/quote]

I agree. 8 years is way too harsh imo but you do have to address the statement. He was a moron for joking like that.[/quote]
I do not think this kid deserves 8 years in prison and there is no way he will actually serve that but “joking” or not you can’t threaten the lives of countless kids and not expect repercussions considering the recent school shootings.

He deserves, in my opinion, a little bit of jail time while this trial plays out and a fine/probation.
A month or two would be max IMO.

[quote]CroatianRage wrote:
Answer me this, had he said that comment not “in light of recent situations” would they have done the same thing? [/quote]

Irrelevant. Speech does not exist in a vacuum; there is a built-in context to everything we say because of the world around us. To ignore that your words will be interpreted differently based on the world you live in and the events that have transpired in it is to ignore reality.

That being said, I don’t know how I feel about this particular case. Need to think about it some more.

[quote]optheta wrote:
I didnt play it because that dude looks like a douchebag.[/quote]

I watched 3 seconds because that was all I could stand. It turns out there is still rage inside of me after all, LOL.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:

Answer me this, had he said that comment not “in light of recent situations” would they have done the same thing? [/quote]

Irrelevant. Speech does not exist in a vacuum; there is a built-in context to everything we say because of the world around us. To ignore that your words will be interpreted differently based on the world you live in and the events that have transpired in it is to ignore reality.

That being said, I don’t know how I feel about this particular case. Need to think about it some more.[/quote]

If something elicits a strong emotional response it isn’t more or less illegal. We can’t just start putting people in jail because they say things that hurt our feelings because of the timing.

There are very few crimes that warrant 8 years imprisonment. This is not one of them.

If any person here feels that 8 years in prison is in any way appropriate for the non-crime that this person “committed”, you need to shoot yourself. You need to shoot yourself and you need to do it now before you do something harmful, like reproduce. Know that you are beyond stupid and have no place in a civilized society and you never will. Shoot yourself and shoot yourself now, you stupid, stupid person.

[quote]ElbowStrike wrote:
There are very few crimes that warrant 8 years imprisonment. This is not one of them.

If any person here feels that 8 years in prison is in any way appropriate for the non-crime that this person “committed”, you need to shoot yourself. You need to shoot yourself and you need to do it now before you do something harmful, like reproduce. Know that you are beyond stupid and have no place in a civilized society and you never will. Shoot yourself and shoot yourself now, you stupid, stupid person.[/quote]

I have a friend that just shot himself so I’m going to track down your address and report you to the police.

I do not think this kid deserves 8 years in prison and there is no way he will actually serve that but “joking” or not you can’t threaten the lives of countless kids and not expect repercussions considering the recent school shootings.[/quote]

Which kids did he threaten? At which school? The next two lines were “lol” and “jk” and this clearly shows that he was not threatening any children anywhere. This is undeniable.

[quote]He deserves, in my opinion, a little bit of jail time while this trial plays out and a fine/probation.
A month or two would be max IMO. [/quote]

Ridiculous. A $100 fine would be excessive.

I have a friend that just shot himself so I’m going to track down your address and report you to the police.[/quote]

Don’t forget to back-trace it.

I have a friend that just shot himself so I’m going to track down your address and report you to the police.[/quote]

Don’t forget to back-trace it.[/quote]

Maybe after hanging out with degenerates in prison for the next 8 years your learn to not say hurtful things. Or perhaps we can give you a fine and 1 month in jail to give you a healthy relationship with the courts. Good luck trying to get into college because of that one ill-advised attempt at humor on the internet.

[quote]farmerson12 wrote:

[quote]stefan128 wrote:

I agree. 8 years is way too harsh imo but you do have to address the statement. He was a moron for joking like that.[/quote]
I do not think this kid deserves 8 years in prison and there is no way he will actually serve that but “joking” or not you can’t threaten the lives of countless kids and not expect repercussions considering the recent school shootings.

He deserves, in my opinion, a little bit of jail time while this trial plays out and a fine/probation.
A month or two would be max IMO. [/quote]

Ah for fucks sake what the hell is wrong with you people.

Charges never should have even been considered in this. Once charges were brought, the judge should have stepped to the plate and thrown the case out. I can’t for the life of me understand why more judges don’t do this. Since the judge is a spineless idiot who did not toss it out the jury needs to find the kid Not Guilty. The kid should do no time, his attorney fees should be reimbursed by the state and they should issue him a public apology.

This type of thing is an embarrassment to humanity.

If any person here feels that 8 years in prison is in any way appropriate for the non-crime that this person “committed”, you need to shoot yourself. You need to shoot yourself and you need to do it now before you do something harmful, like reproduce. Know that you are beyond stupid and have no place in a civilized society and you never will. Shoot yourself and shoot yourself now, you stupid, stupid person.[/quote]

Careful ES, you didn’t even say JK or LOL. If that kid could get 8 years, you might get 20 for that. Life if SW really offs himself.

What I’d like to know is how exactly was he tracked down? In League you don’t use any personal information, accounts aren’t even linked to e-mail addresses. Does the guy that tracked him work for the NSA in his spare time? Only way I see that happening is either the kid gave out his information or Riot (game creator) helped in tracking the kid down.

Edit: That guy’s video is misleading, after doing some research that kid posted it on facebook not in the game. It was after a game of League of Legends.

Dude in the video looks like a midget or a dwarf

Not that it adds to the discussion, just sayin’

Huge freaking forehead